Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

USPS says DVDs/Blu-Rays NOT media

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-16-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was shipping a Blu-ray and the postal employee asked if it was a DVD. I was dumb enough to answer truthfully. I was then informed it did not qualify for media mail because the post office has now decided DVDs/CDs/Blu-Rays are not media. I had to send it first class.
Someone should tell Microsoft they have to change the name of their MEDIA player.
Old 08-16-13, 07:04 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: USPS says DVDs/Blu-Rays NOT media

That's the first time I've heard that DVD/CD/Blu aren't eligible. I know that Video Games and Hard Drives are excluded. The USPS website says:

Media Mail is a ground shipping solution for books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs and DVDs). Surcharges may apply to certain items including packages that weigh over 25 pounds.
Old 08-16-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I know that comic books and magazines can't be shipped media mail because they contain advertising, even if the ads are in-house or years expired.

Since most DVDs contain advertising (trailers for upcoming releases, etc.) I wonder if they USPS could disallow them for that.
Old 08-17-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
I was shipping a Blu-ray and the postal employee asked if it was a DVD. I was dumb enough to answer truthfully. I was then informed it did not qualify for media mail because the post office has now decided DVDs/CDs/Blu-Rays are not media. I had to send it first class.
Someone should tell Microsoft they have to change the name of their MEDIA player.
Sorry about them telling you that, because it is in fact, media.

But, a single DVD/blu ray is actually cheaper to ship first class than Media.
Old 08-18-13, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From USPS.com
What is Media MailŪ (Book Rate)?
Solution:
Economy shipping solution for media items. Contents are restricted to books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs and DVDs).

Features

Available for sending small and large packages containing books, film, manuscripts, sound recordings, video tapes, and computer media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes) only.
Media Mail cannot contain advertising. Books shipping as Media Mail may contain incidental book announcements.
Packages can weigh up to 70 lbs. and measure up to 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.
A surcharge may be applied to certain items; including printed matter over 25 pounds.
Presorted rates are available for bulk quantities (at least 300 pieces).
Old 08-18-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Splitting hairs, one could argue that DVDs aren't media within that definition quoted above because they're not strictly computer-readable without DeCSS.

However, I've mailed 100s of DVDs and never had a problem with any post office accepting them as media. Media Mail only makes economic sense for > 3 or so DVDs per parcel. For 1 or 2 DVDs / CDs, first class is indeed cheaper.
Old 08-19-13, 09:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Books shipping as Media Mail may contain incidental book announcements.
...and DVDs/BDs shipping as Media Mail may contain incidental movie announcements.

I think the postal employee was making his own unique interpretation of the rules, which sounds like BS to me.
Old 08-19-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I know that comic books and magazines can't be shipped media mail because they contain advertising, even if the ads are in-house or years expired.

Since most DVDs contain advertising (trailers for upcoming releases, etc.) I wonder if they USPS could disallow them for that.

I would think "ad-free" comicbooks qualify as media mail since it does not contain advertising.
Old 08-19-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I would think "ad-free" comicbooks qualify as media mail since it does not contain advertising.
Yeah, I would think that, too, unless they would categorize them as magazines or periodicals.

I also wonder how they would classify graphic novels, which don't contain any advertising, or are limited to the kinds of ads they allow in books.

Probably comes down to how the person doing the inspection chooses to interpret the rules.

I can sort of understand the reasoning behind not wanting to allow advertising to be shipped media mail if it's a company using it to mail out catalogs or publishers using it for magazine subscriptions, but when it's a private individual shipping items out to another private individual, especially if it's a box of old magazines or periodicals, then I would think that the "educational" exemption should apply.
Old 12-19-17, 07:51 PM

I know this thread is a few years old, but I had a baffling experience at USPS the other day.

I brought in a box with CDs and DVDs to send out to SecondSpin.com. The line was wrapped around the queue and all the way to the door. I told the worker I would like to send it via Media Mail. She asked me if it was media, and I replied yes. She then looked at me puzzled, as if she was waiting for me to elaborate. I told her there were CDs and DVDs in the box, to which she told me "No, and just so you know, this package will be subject to inspection".

I was infuriated. I have been sending stuff out to SecondSpin.com for years and have never had a problem. I'm aware that all packages are subject to inspection so that didn't bother me, it was the fact that she was speaking to me as if I was lying or trying to pull off some sort of crazy scam. She then pulled out a packet with a chart of qualifications for each shipping rate. I replied, "Seriously? CDs and DVDs aren't considered media?" I tried to keep my cool. I told her I had other things I needed to take care of and that if she really needed to double check I could come back. She then accepted the package but I was pissed. Not only was she the reason the line was moving so slowly (the woman next to her was actually pleasant and taking care of people at a reasonable rate), but she had no excuse to get like that. It's not my regular post office (there's one in the next town over that's easier and faster to get to), but I've been there enough times to know that she's been working there for years, so it's not like she was new and didn't know better.
Old 12-20-17, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts

Yeesh. Why bother with the counter? Just print your own postage, including Media Mail. Then you don't have to deal with that crap:

https://www.paypal.com/shipnow

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I also wonder how they would classify graphic novels, which don't contain any advertising, or are limited to the kinds of ads they allow in books.
Graphic novels are considered books and can be shipped via Media Mail.
Old 12-20-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I started having this issue a few years ago with the local post office, when my wife and I were selling lots of stuff on eBay or Half.com. We would sell off extra DVDs and videogames and we always used media mail, which is how the websites were listing it.

We just started printing our own labels or using the machine at the office.

I always thought it odd that the USPS couldn't figure out a unified rule .
Old 12-20-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like there is a unified rule. Some post office employees just choose to ignore it.
Old 12-20-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Sounds like there is a unified rule. Some post office employees just choose to ignore it.
you could go to four different post office locations and ask the same question and you may get four different answers. You may ask four different employyes the same question at the same location and get just about as many different answers.
Old 12-20-17, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Their website shows that CDs and DVDs qualify but my post office once told me that they have to be educational. The top sentence on their website does mention educational material.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm
Old 12-20-17, 07:50 PM

What's even better about this whole thing is I tweeted them about it to get ahold of their customer service and they replied with "Sometimes verification of items are needed," to which I told them it wasn't a problem and that the issue was in the fact that she acted like I was lying to her. They replied with a link to guidelines as to what qualifies for Media Mail. What a joke. Sounds like there isn't a single brain cell among all of their employees.
Old 12-22-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
you could go to four different post office locations and ask the same question and you may get four different answers. You may ask four different employyes the same question at the same location and get just about as many different answers.
Because the employees choose to ignore the unified rule.
Old 12-27-17, 08:23 AM
Banned

I despise cheapskates who still ship media mail. Spend the extra few cents and go first class. It's the 21st fucking century.
Old 12-27-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Viper187
I despise cheapskates who still ship media mail. Spend the extra few cents and go first class. It's the 21st fucking century.
Not sure how it is now, but places like Half.com used to default to Media Mail for shipping prices. You didn't have a choice.
Old 12-27-17, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Not sure how it is now, but places like Half.com used to default to Media Mail for shipping prices. You didn't have a choice.
Plenty of sellers on half.com offered expedited shipping (Priority) AND a lot of them started putting in comments that they'd ship first class anyway for the media mail price. You see that on Amazon's marketplace too.
Old 12-27-17, 10:23 AM

The problem is, anything over 16 ounces doesn't qualify for First Class and is automatically upgraded to priority, and since companies like to cut costs, no matter how small, so it's no surprise they still use media mail.

As for me, if I'm selling something to a place like SecondSpin, who only reimburse for shipping based on MM rates, I'm going to ship MM. When I sell a single movie or CD somewhere like eBay I always offer free shipping and the item always gets sent first class, but if it weighs more than 16 ounces (like a complete series set or something like that) it gets sent Media Mail, unless they want to pay extra for Priority shipping.
Old 12-27-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rjh_54
The problem is, anything over 16 ounces doesn't qualify for First Class and is automatically upgraded to priority, and since companies like to cut costs, no matter how small, so it's no surprise they still use media mail.

As for me, if I'm selling something to a place like SecondSpin, who only reimburse for shipping based on MM rates, I'm going to ship MM. When I sell a single movie or CD somewhere like eBay I always offer free shipping and the item always gets sent first class, but if it weighs more than 16 ounces (like a complete series set or something like that) it gets sent Media Mail, unless they want to pay extra for Priority shipping.
Yeah, having to deal with fixed shipping rates is one reason my wife and I don't do much anymore. If we have a high-value item, we do eBay and we pick Priority Mail from the start so our costs are covered.

Otherwise I take stuff to Half Price Books so they can give me $5 for three crates of books and DVDs.
Old 12-28-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts

For shipping 1 or 2 titles, that's true. But for anything over that, there can be substantial cost savings to using Media Mail. I recently sold and shipped a Sopranos box set. It cost $5.57 to ship it via Media Mail. If I'd sent it Priority instead, it would've been $26.25. I'm sure my buyer appreciated the lower shipping costs, and they received it only a few days later than they would have with Priority.
Old 12-28-17, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBang
For shipping 1 or 2 titles, that's true. But for anything over that, there can be substantial cost savings to using Media Mail. I recently sold and shipped a Sopranos box set. It cost $5.57 to ship it via Media Mail. If I'd sent it Priority instead, it would've been $26.25. I'm sure my buyer appreciated the lower shipping costs, and they received it only a few days later than they would have with Priority.
1. most box sets would likely fit in a flat rate box.

2. I don't really give a fuck. Any shipping option that's not guaranteed within a week at this point needs to fuck off and die. Like I said, it's the 21st century.
Old 12-28-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Fuck that. If I'm offering free shipping, discounted shipping, etc., then you'll take whatever I fucking give you and like it. Fuck your entitlement bullshit. You want extra, you pay extra. That includes expedited shipping services.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.