Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City

Old 05-15-09, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Circuit City

I was wondering does anyone actually miss this company and now they have been gone for a while what are the ramifications if any you have noticed around your way?

Personally hasn't seemed to made much of a difference at all excepting the vacant building where they were is still vacant. There was talk of Walmart looking at these properties. Guess that didn't eventuate?
Old 05-15-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Circuit City

Its only been a couple months.
Old 05-15-09, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Its only been a couple months.
Yes and hence my question. Thought it might be interesting to see others opinions on this now.
Old 05-15-09, 08:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I do miss it, if for nothing else, it's always good to have competition with remaining stores like Best Buy.
Old 05-15-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tallguyme
i do miss it, if for nothing else, it's always good to have competition with remaining stores like best buy.
+1
Old 05-15-09, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best buy deals have been seriously lacking since CC went out.

IMO
Old 05-15-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, I'm noticing Best Buy's prices inching up just a bit here and there since CC's been gone.
Old 05-15-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I only have Target, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer(which sucks in pricing 99% of the time), and Costco to get stuff locally.
Old 05-15-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Good riddance to bad rubbish. They TWICE screwed me over with service plans, I had issues with returns, terrible customer service in store, bad lighting usually (it was dark in every CC I went to), hardly ever good deals. They went out of business with good reason IMHO.
Old 05-15-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Not the least bit sorry to see them gone after being screwed over every which way by their 'service plan' a few years ago. DIVX just further proved what contempt they had for their customers, and everything after that was icing on the cake.
Old 05-15-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-eNogD985IDA01

Circuit City brand, Web site sold for $14M
By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM – 2 days ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Bankrupt Circuit City's brand, trademarks and e-commerce business were sold on Wednesday for $14 million to Systemax Inc., the same company that purchased electronics retailer CompUSA's intellectual property when it closed in 2008.

U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Kevin R. Huennekens approved the results from an auction that took place Monday. New York-based Systemax also agreed to pay Circuit City at least $3 million from its revenue from the assets over 30 months.

Systemax manufactures and sells consumer electronics online, by direct mail and in retail stores under the TigerDirect and CompUSA brands. When it bought Dallas-based CompUSA's intellectual property in January 2008 from restructuring firm Gordon Brothers Group LLC, it also acquired some stores.

Systemax has said the transaction would "extend its position as a leader in online retailing of value-priced, branded consumer electronics."

Last month, Richmond-based Circuit City entered a so-called stalking horse agreement with Systemax for $6.5 million, which also included a revenue payout over two and a half years. A stalking horse bid is an initial offer for a bankrupt company's assets.

Circuit City lawyer Gregg Galardi said three other companies participated in Monday's auction, including PC Connection, PC Mall and Ultimate Acquisition Partners, the operating company for the retail chain Ultimate Electronics. The owner of Ultimate Electronics, Mark J. Wattles, tried in a proxy battle last year to place several nominees, including current Circuit City CEO Jim Marcum, on Circuit City's board.

Circuit City closed its 567 remaining U.S. stores on March 8. It has laid off about 34,000 workers since filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy court protection in November. A small staff remains at its corporate office.

The company, which posted losses in seven of its final eight quarters, faced heightened competition, pressure from vendors and waning consumer spending. It had hoped to emerge this summer as a stronger and more competitive company, but the hobbled credit market and consumer spending cuts proved insurmountable.
The brand will soon be back as online only.
Old 05-15-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't fathom working at CC corporate. You know your job will end soon when everything is all said and done. God that must be depressing working there.
Old 05-15-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I worked at Tower Records' corporate office until their very last day, about 3 months after the last stores had closed (I was with the online department which had a shred of hope of jobs being kept until the new owners decided to lay off almost everyone and move to Canada)- it was REALLY depressing seeing everything emptied when it had once been a magical place. They were a good company but had too many bad things happen to them.

Circuit City deserved it a thousand times more, and so does Blockbuster who will be next!

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 05-15-09 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-09, 06:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

I missed it when I had to wait at my auto mechanic's shop and I couldn't hang around CC for part of the time.
Old 05-15-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I dont miss shopping in the store one bit. What I miss is the competition they had with Best Buy. We have a PC Richards going in to the old CC building at the end of the summer. We'll see what that does to shake things up.
Old 05-17-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
I can't fathom working at CC corporate. You know your job will end soon when everything is all said and done. God that must be depressing working there.
CC corporate ceased to exist for the most part during January, and that was after extensive layoffs in the fall. All that's left now, if anything, is a skeleton crew of a few execs, legal, and HR. I'm now guessing it was a good thing I didn't get the job I interviewed for at corporate three years ago when I worked at one of the stores.
Old 05-17-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I miss the old Circuit City of about, oh...15 years ago or so when they were a really good place to shop at. I don't miss the Circuit City that it became in the latter years. At all.
Old 05-17-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't miss it for the lackluster shopping experience it had become, but the competition it created for local companies was always a healthy thing. Here in Austin we have numerous Best Buy's, a Fry's Electronics, and the super stores like Target and Walmart. If I can't find what I'm looking for at any of these for a decent price I leverage my Amazon Prime membership and buy from there. I'll echo someone's sentiment about the old Circuit City of the 80s and even mid-90s - I first bought something from CC 21 years ago on a trip to Atlanta and felt like it was a decent store. Years later, the DIVX debacle plus poor DVD product placement and stock turned me off from them.
Old 05-17-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I'm now guessing it was a good thing I didn't get the job I interviewed for at corporate three years ago when I worked at one of the stores.
Talk about dodging a bullet. Substitute Sam Goody for Circuit City, and you have my experience of several years ago. So glad I was able to jump off that sinking ship while it was still partially afloat.
Old 05-18-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put me in the "I don't miss them - but miss the Best Buy competition" boat.
Old 05-18-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I miss CC simply because they gave me a place to waste some of my lunch hour around the corner from my job. What I don't miss: their prices, lack of customer service and selection.
Old 05-18-09, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by reverie
Put me in the "I don't miss them - but miss the Best Buy competition" boat.
Save some room on that boat for me. Although, I miss walking to their Union Square location and just browse.
Old 05-19-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Circuit City deserved it a thousand times more, and so does Blockbuster who will be next!
Lackluster Video will be the new name after restructuring.

And I still won't rent from them.
Old 05-19-09, 05:47 PM

I miss them. I had a car alarm w/remote start installed there. They had the best offer on the market, a free uninstall. And they wouldn't just rip it out because they'd have to deal with that when they put in your new car.
Old 05-19-09, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Wal-Mart B&M has never really competed with Best Buy retail here in MA, so it was basically CC, Target and Best Buy. Now that CC is gone it's just Target and Best Buy now. But I've mainly purchased the majority of my discs online and I don't forsee that changing any time in the near future.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.