Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD stores in New York

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD stores in New York

Old 03-28-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD stores in New York

Going there in May and want some advice.
I'll be staying in an apartment on Lexington. I'm aware of the Best Buy near me (and their prices) and I've found the Target that's on Flatbush Ave (actually there seems to be 2 in that area). I know that the Virgin Megastore in now closed.
Is there anywhere else?

The owners of the apartment have said that they will accept deliveried for me so I could go to Amazon and see if I can make that work.
Old 03-28-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: DVD stores in New York

Fuck BB. Go to Kim's on St. Marks. Best place ever. At least, it was before it got raided. They still got some good shit to be found, however.
Old 03-28-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Kim's listed on a previous thread. I'm not after anything rare. Just the big releases in May.
Do they only carry those Asian titles?
Old 03-28-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Kim's is no longer on St. Mark's. Shut down the mega-store and relocated the rentals to, no kidding, Sicily (http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com...to-sicily.html). The for-sale shop is in a new location at 124 First Ave between 7th St and St. Marks. I haven't been to the new location, but Kim's is always the place to go for variety-- they've got a lot of obscure stuff you can't find anywhere else (and not just Asian titles-- indies and B-movies and all sorts of other stuff). That said, you'll almost always pay MSRP there. For cheap prices on big titles, and I know it's hipster heresay to say so, I just go to Best Buy.
Old 03-29-09, 06:01 PM

Go to Entertainment Outlet by Bryant Park. Some of the new releases are overpriced, but they also have a lot of good DVD's for 5 bucks. I just picked up The Hitchhiker (the HBO show) Season 1 and 2, The Host, and The Good The Bad and The Ugly SE for 20 bucks total.
Old 04-02-09, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nick,

I haven't been to them before but I was going to suggest checking out Entertainment Outlet too. I bought the Schindler's List gift set via their website.

Maybe you'll be able to score some cool Target exclusives during your stay.
Old 04-04-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't know about Kim's. That really sucks. That was one of my frequent haunts anytime I was in Manhattan.
Old 04-05-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by civiclx
Hey Nick,

I haven't been to them before but I was going to suggest checking out Entertainment Outlet too. I bought the Schindler's List gift set via their website.

Maybe you'll be able to score some cool Target exclusives during your stay.
Thanks for the 2 recommendations guys. It's now on my Google Map.
Mike, I will try to get to Target (I love that store so much) but the nearest store is in Brooklyn but I already have the directions locked in!
Old 04-07-09, 07:50 PM

Nick,

what are you going there for again? I want to say music but I might be wrong. It don't know if you saw the new cover of Rolling Stone but Weezy F. Baby is on the cover. Man I meant to get the one with U2 but it was gone faaaaast. It was like Taylor Swift for a month, U2 like 2 weeks, Gossip Girl a week and a half and now Weezy.

anyway, I think best buy and target will be your best bet but maybe some new yorkers can give you the scoop on some mom and pop shops. You might want to hit up Snausages as she is a new yorker and might have some good info for you. maybe even bigrob from importforums since he just went to NY recently.

oh one question, are Total Film and Empire movie mags from the UK?

Last edited by civiclx; 04-07-09 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by civiclx
Nick,

what are you going there for again? I want to say music but I might be wrong. It don't know if you saw the new cover of Rolling Stone but Weezy F. Baby is on the cover. Man I meant to get the one with U2 but it was gone faaaaast. It was like Taylor Swift for a month, U2 like 2 weeks, Gossip Girl a week and a half and now Weezy.

anyway, I think best buy and target will be your best bet but maybe some new yorkers can give you the scoop on some mom and pop shops. You might want to hit up Snausages as she is a new yorker and might have some good info for you. maybe even bigrob from importforums since he just went to NY recently.

oh one question, are Total Film and Empire movie mags from the UK?
Total Film and Empire are both UK film mags. I subscribe to both and are equally as good. They both have really good stories and both get their own exclusive pictures and stuff.

This time the reason for going to the States is just for a holiday. We are there for Memorial Day which I'm really looking forword to. Checking out the fleet week events and sorting out a schedule for all the Navy events.
Last October I went to New Orleans for the Voodoo music festival. Loved the music (Lil Wayne and Lupe Fiasco were excellent!) and New Orleans was absolutely amazing. I would love to go back there again in a few years.

Loved the Target and Toys R Us stores there.
Old 04-10-09, 08:56 PM

ahh that's right. I think you mentioned going there during fleet week before. They have a fleet week here in San Francisco but I've never been to it before. Did you say you have been to California before? If you haven't, you'll definitely have to come out sometime.

That's cool you have a subscription to both magazines. How much are they and how long does the subscription run? I want to get the Total Film with Wolverine on the cover but that one is going pretty fast. They're already onto the one with Spock on the cover. Empire was Gollum and now Terminator Salvation.
Old 04-11-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been to Cali twice, both to San Francisco (my favourite city ever!) New York has alot to live up to. Last time I went in 2006 it was at the end of fleet week and missed the displays but I did see the USS Nimitz (she's a big one!).

I think the subscription for each magazine is about $50-60. Whats quite nice is that each magazine does exclusive subscriber covers every now and again. Usually it's the same cover but with none of the extra contents text. I have a few issues of each magazine that have some great Dark Knight covers that I was gonna ebay. I would say that you might not get some of the free gifts but I'm not too sure. For example I got the Kirk cover but with no extra text on it so it looks pretty cool (bit of a crease on one of the corners which is abit annoying).
If you want, PM me your address and I will send to you what I can. You have helped me out a few times (and no doubt in the future), consider them a gift!
Old 04-15-09, 10:37 PM

Hey Nick,

that would be great if you could! I suppose I should say, "Oh no no you're too kind, I can't accept those" but that would be awesome though so PM sent
Old 10-21-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping this old thread because I will be in New York this Christmas. I know some of the old standbys have shut down, so where are the best places now to go for DVDs and BluRays?
Old 10-22-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went into Chinatown for the 1st time in a little over a year maybe a few months back and literally ALL the places you could pick up dvds/blu-rays were gone. I had a sad
Old 11-02-13, 10:09 PM

All the places I loved and shopped at for DVD's are gone. I haven't stumbled across anything new in a long time. If I buy, I buy from Amazon....le sigh.
Old 11-04-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Went into Chinatown for the 1st time in a little over a year maybe a few months back and literally ALL the places you could pick up dvds/blu-rays were gone. I had a sad
The margins on selling DVDs are too small to afford New York City real estate anymore.
Old 11-07-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
All the places I loved and shopped at for DVD's are gone. I haven't stumbled across anything new in a long time.
Entertainment Outlet
Old 11-07-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Bumping this old thread because I will be in New York this Christmas. I know some of the old standbys have shut down, so where are the best places now to go for DVDs and BluRays?
Book Off at 49 W. 45th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues (but closer to 6th) is your best bet now. They sell overpriced used DVDs, ranging from $5 to $10 to $15 each, depending on...some inexplicable criteria. BUT you can find titles that have been long out of print. They have an alphabetical section, an anime section, a classic section, a foreign section, a children's section and a TV section. Plus books, CDs, comics, manga and other stuff. They even have a VHS section in the basement, but it's tiny and has only Japanese titles. Worth a visit.
Old 12-21-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping again because I'll be in NY again. Any new places since last year?
Old 12-21-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Book Off is still there. (See post above yours)

Barnes & Noble often has a pretty good DVD section, although the prices are standard, except when they have a sale. (Their Criterion 50% off sale twice a year is a good opportunity to catch up with certain things.) The Union Sq. store (17th St. just off B'way) is worth checking out, as is the one on 46th St. & 5th Ave.