Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

FYE.com returns?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

FYE.com returns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE.com returns?

I'm about to make my first one to them, and I was wondering if anyone else had made a return to them before and how it was handled, etc. Does it generally go smooth, because I've dealt with a couple of similar sites where returning something was a real pain. Thanks
Old 03-23-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: FYE.com returns?

I buy a lot of used stuff from them and affiliated sites. Whenever I get a scratched disc or missing artwork, I just take it to an FYE or Sam Goody store and return it there. Much less hassle.
Old 03-24-09, 11:54 AM

I, too, am making my first return to FYE.com. One used cd I bought was scratched and skips when played. It's been an EXTREME hassle so far. They don't offer pre-payed return labels, so I am having to pay to return it myself and then fax a copy of the receipt to them. When they receive the item, they refund me. This is a pain in the butt considering they are the ones who sent me a defective product. I will probably stay away from them from now on.
Old 03-24-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFranke
I buy a lot of used stuff from them and affiliated sites. Whenever I get a scratched disc or missing artwork, I just take it to an FYE or Sam Goody store and return it there. Much less hassle.
i was not aware that this is possible! fye.com cs is very poor, and id rather not deal with them for anything but a simple return if possible.
Old 03-29-09, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by SFranke
What do you normally take with you? Just the discs and order slip?

No pre-paid package to send it back in has me moving slow in returning it. The FYE here is closer to me than any post office or UPS, so I may just try that.
Old 03-30-09, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
What do you normally take with you? Just the discs and order slip?
Yes. I'm also completely honest and say I bought these online, the discs are defective, I bought them less than a month ago, and they would be doing me a huge favor by doing the return there.

One time I hit a snag where the CS guy would return a FYE.com CD but not a SecondSpin.com CD because he never heard of SS.com (the SS.com invoice was identical to an FYE invoice, same used stickers and UPC, etc). So now I take a printout from TWEC.com showing that SS.com is a Trans-World store.
Old 03-30-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant find any place on the fye.com site that states anything about returning an item in-store. im guessing this is fairly ymmv yesh?
Old 03-31-09, 06:55 PM

Yes, YMMV. But I've been more successful than not.
Old 04-06-09, 08:56 AM

Sheesh. My USPS delivery confirmation said the returned item arrived on March 26. I called the other day to see why I hadn't been issued a refund and they told me it could take up to 60 days! After voicing my displeasure with this policy and telling them I would return damaged items to the store from now on I promptly received an email saying my refund had been issued. It's funny how fast they can move if they want to.
Old 05-20-09, 10:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I had previously sworn off FYE.com forever, but their used selection (cheaper than SecondSpin on some items) and coupon codes lured me back. I had never dealt with having to contact them until just yesterday and I guess the stories are true - this place is a nightmare!

I ordered six used DVDs and the box arrived with only five included. I check the invoice and all six titles are listed under 'Shipped', so someone in the processing facility short-changed me. I try sending them an e-mail and I get an automated message telling me to reply if I want my issue forwarded to a customer service person. Yet, I still keep getting the automated e-mails after I respond. On the fifth reply, I guess my message got through.

A few hours later, a CS person tells me that the order was delivered (no, duh) and that I should now file a claim with USPS for the missing item. On what grounds? The package was delivered, after all. It's FYE's fault one of my items wasn't included. Knock on wood, I've never had to file a claim against a company before - but for these guys to charge for non-delivered merchandise and then try to say 'not our problem' is beyond offensive.

UPDATE - Two days later, another e-mail:
We have escalated the situation. When additional status is obtained, we will contact you via email.
Additional status of what? I know the DVD wasn't in the box, so it's my word against theirs. The only status I'm worried about is the status of a new shipment or a refund. I cannot believe this company can be related to SecondSpin, yet have such drastically different (and slow) customer service practices.

5/27 - 5 days after the 'escalation' and still no reply.
6/04 - Just got an e-mail saying that they refunded my credit card. I'd have preferred if they actually shipped my flippin' DVD, but at least I'm done with this company. Over 2 weeks and at least 6 e-mails to get a reply/resolution is unacceptable.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-04-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
Sheesh. My USPS delivery confirmation said the returned item arrived on March 26. I called the other day to see why I hadn't been issued a refund and they told me it could take up to 60 days! After voicing my displeasure with this policy and telling them I would return damaged items to the store from now on I promptly received an email saying my refund had been issued. It's funny how fast they can move if they want to.
Ugh. I noticed today that the credit still hadn't been issued to my card. It turns out FYE credited my old credit card number and not the one currently on file with them. Now, that's understandable since I placed the original order with my old card number, but my old card is deactivated (my new number is the same card, just a new number due to some fraudulent charges). When I called to ask about it they claim the credit DID go through on the old number. I'm calling BS. Does anyone know if a credit can be issued to a card that is no longer active?
Old 05-26-09, 11:52 AM

I think credit CAN in fact go back to an account for a card that is no longer active or even closed! I bought tickets for a concert from ticketmaster last year then sometime later closed that credit card account... sure enough the concert cancelled & they refunded the amount back to that closed account... I had to contact the credit card company & get them to issue me a check (which took a good while - but I did finally get it)
Old 05-26-09, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearkiss
I think credit CAN in fact go back to an account for a card that is no longer active or even closed! I bought tickets for a concert from ticketmaster last year then sometime later closed that credit card account... sure enough the concert cancelled & they refunded the amount back to that closed account... I had to contact the credit card company & get them to issue me a check (which took a good while - but I did finally get it)
Interesting. Thanks for posting this. Guess I should contact my credit card company.