Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I thought Amazon price matches itself?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-15-08, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you order something like a DVD from Amazon and it drops in price within 30 days I thought you could contact them and they would refund the difference? In fact, I did it about 4 years ago with them!

I ordered the Disney Treasures Chronological Donald Vol. 4 for $24.99 and now it's $20.00 and they sent some long email that basically says they won't refund the $4.99?

The DVD hasn't even arrived yet. It shipped like last week. I placed the order about 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-15-08, 02:46 PM

They used to have a post order price guarantee, but starting in September they discontinued it.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...guarantee.html
Old 11-16-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My dvd buying from Amazon has crashed since this happened. My suggestion is to return it and buy it again, you'll break even but they'll lose a bit of money. You might even get someone that will realise that and help you out.
Old 11-28-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
My dvd buying from Amazon has crashed since this happened. My suggestion is to return it and buy it again, you'll break even but they'll lose a bit of money. You might even get someone that will realise that and help you out.
Amen to that.

This is the worst policy change ever, and my overall purchasing on amazon has basically ended. I just can't stand it. Example: Thursday I purchased a Zune for $170. I went back to make sure I didn't have any other color choices and to maybe cancel/switch if I had time, and the price had gone down TEN DOLLARS--within the hour.

I emailed and called and they wouldn't budge. All I got was the same scripted response, and was told to mail it back if I wanted. GREAT business decision...
Old 11-28-08, 07:12 PM

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Stupid Amazon
Old 11-29-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Just had a product drop $30. When I called, I was told the reason they HAD to change the policy was because, get this, "too many people abused the policy". I am not sure how to abuse the policy. I figure it is just the fact they cannot afford to continually give refunds. Their financial issue, not customer abuse. Anyway, I thought I would mention that Best Buy had this same policy for Black Friday/Saturday as well. I hope this is not a sign of things to come with retailers. I had an item drop $80 in less than 20 days. I asked for a pricematch with my receipt. This would be a regular pricematch where they simply refunded the difference (not the competitor one with the extra 10%) . I was told to buy a new one and then return the old one. So I did just that. I bought a new one from a competitor for $90 less and took the orginal back to Best Buy for a full refund.
Old 12-04-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
Except for the last 3 days around thanksgiving where I bought 22 movies from them, but besides that, I've cancelled preorders left and right. Too many new movies drop a buck or two the day they come out, and with prime, mine ship out the day before.
Old 12-08-08, 01:34 PM

I just ran into this post-order guarantee policy change while attempting to price adjust Left 4 Dead for almost a $20 difference. Not sure how I missed this news for the past several months. They wouldn't credit or even issue a promo GC for the difference... I can understand not wanting to issue all the refunds for customer's price matches but why not a promo GC linked to your account and only issue it if the cheaper priced item is in stock at the time of the request? To redeem the promo GC I would likely make a future purchase greater than that amount which would end up giving them more money in the end...

I explained to them exactly what I was going to do:
Return the previous one and order the exact same game a the cheaper price. This would require Amazon to lose money as they'd pay to ship out the new copy of L4D along with all the associated labor costs for order processing, packaging, etc. They would then also have to pay the labor coasts associated with receiving and restocking my return. Compared to the alternative of issuing me a promo cert Amazon will lose more money doing it the hard way. My guess is that they're betting on people not returning the item.

I chose the option to ship it back myself (since I'm not sure what shipping method their prepaid labels are) so I can use the cheapest shipping method to minimize my cost. I should net myself about $18 considering they'll need to refund the tax difference on the more expensive version as well.

However, with this policy change and the fact that I'm screwed paying NY tax on everything, my purchases will drop off and be limited to items that I consider to be a significant enough deal.
Such hesitation will decrease my incentive to purchase which, in the end, will lose Amazon even more money since up until this point they were always my primary online retailer and I have an Amazon credit card.
Maybe its time to switch over to shopping at Best Buy and using my Reward Zone credit card after I burn through my remaining GC balance for Christmas...
Old 12-08-08, 02:16 PM

Same shit JUST happened to me. Though its only $7, bet your ass I wont give them my business anymore. As far as Im concerned this is simply not caring for your costumers and I emailed them telling them that. I wont bother calling cause theyre not worth my time.

I know another business that does this, but its a smaller record store business and they say they always have sales so they cant price match itself. However they sent me a $5 GC cause they lost my $1 credit account.
Old 12-09-08, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful with this method. About the same time when they dropped the price guarantee, there was a buzz on the forums about Amazon dropping customers, apparently the ones with a high rate of returns.