Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is this site legitimate? (idealbargainxp)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 11:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, just registered here after lurking around for a while.. In my quest to find cheap deals I stumbled upon idealbargainxp, supposedly free shipping worldwide (?).. There are a lot of cool box-sets here such as complete Ingmar Bergman/Jean Renoir sets (I can't provide links because I'm under 15 posts but just follow to "classic dvd collection" and you should see them)

Looks like a pretty cool way to get complete collections with cool box-art without spending an arm and a leg.. problem is I haven't seen these items on amazon (I searched), and there's no real disc information in regards to aspect ratio and other important information.. that and I've never heard of this website.. Anyone have any previous experience with this website? Looks a bit shady, but I assume these are just euro or japan releases or something which is fine by me so long as they are the same quality as their American single disc counterparts

Last edited by Marwan; 09-14-08 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 12:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts
No, it's a bootleg site.
Old 09-15-08, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

ah, I guess the old if it's too good to be true adage reigns true, thanks X
Old 11-01-08, 03:58 AM

Then again, I must admit I sometimes do NOT resist the temptation of "robbing the robbers".
One example: suppose you already own all Bergman films that have already made it to DVD (which I do). Then one day, a British publisher comes up with the idea to sell a luxury box (£300 "official" price, actually £150 on the sites that sell it, which still is a LOT of money). There is ONE movie in it that is not available separately, that apparently never will (and, one may add, not one of the "capital" Bergman films), i.e. the "Faro document" of 1979.
Then YES, you (at least I) DO buy the bootleg copy for (if I remember correctly) around $80 for 47 DVDs including the Faro one on IBXP.
Same applies to Studio Canal's Renoir set, with "Madame Bovary" not to be had separately.
Then of course you may consider their offers on vastly overpriced TV series that have already made billions of $ even before they reach the DVD market, for example the whole "Star Trek" franchise that you can get for $250 on IBX while it will certainly cost you more than 1500 elsewhere.
And so, just for your information, their (IBXP's) packaging is OK, the quality of their discs is OK, and they do sell worldwide for free, in packages that do not attract customs' attention!
What I say is: market economy is a beautiful thing, but when it turns out that some shitty publisher is indeed trying to scrape the last dollar out of your pocket for virtually nothing, then they DESERVE to be bootlegged... Especially when (as is the case with Chinese bootlegs) one may be reasonably certain that the money doesn't go into prostitution, narcotics and the like, as it would it the West, but into various "legitimate" sectors of the Chinese economy.