Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon.com "Import Fees Deposit" for non-US purchases

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon.com "Import Fees Deposit" for non-US purchases

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
So when I tried to check out today, just to see what the final cost would be, the import deposit fees were no longer there. They would show up if I changed my delivery method to International Priority Courier.

And, FWIW, I don't think this is related to Canada Customs wanting their piece of the pie.

My understanding from other forums is I believe that Amazon.com stated they did not have a way of calculating these fees, previously, but that they were still being paid. I.e. Amazon.com was paying them, but not charging the customer. Now they have just added them in.

Although our shipments from Amazon.com appear to be shipped from Canada, they do originate from the U.S. and are then cleared into Canada, and shipped again from there. This is why we get uni-lingual DVD covers, as opposed to the bi-lingual covers we get from amazon.ca.

Although, the fees disappearing again make the above explanation sound less likely... Why would they suddenly take them away if they are still paying them?
Old 11-12-08, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how DHL's recent decision will affect Amazon now...

From Business Week:
DHL to Halt Express Deliveries in the U.S.
Deutsche Post's U.S. division will also close its 18 main distribution hubs and lay off most of its workers in the country

Package delivery company DHL may have conquered the world, but it admitted on Nov. 10 that it couldn't conquer the U.S. The unit of Germany's Deutsche Post (DPWGN.DE) announced it will stop making express deliveries within the U.S., close all of its 18 main distribution hubs there, and lay off all but a few thousand of its remaining 13,000 U.S. workers.

Although DHL will continue to make deliveries to and from the U.S. and other countries, its withdrawal from the domestic express business is another setback for a blue chip German company in the world's biggest market. Last year carmaker Daimler (DAI) sold its stake in Chrysler after it was unable to turn around the No. 3 American automaker.

DHL has lost nearly $10 billion in the U.S. in the five years since it purchased Airborne Express in an attempt to challenge FedEx (FDX) and United Parcel Service (UPS). Despite its dominance in the rest of the world, DHL was never able to take enough share from the two major carriers in their home market. The company's decision to largely withdraw from the U.S. will push parent Deutsche Post to an estimated $1 billion loss for the full year as it books writedowns totaling $3.9 billion to cover severance payments to workers and other restructuring.

Focus on International Express Deliveries

DHL's failure is also an early illustration of how the meltdown on Wall Street and the larger economic downturn are likely to cull weaker players in many businesses. "Crises favor the market leaders," Deutsche Post CEO Frank Appel told reporters at the company's headquarters in Bonn. Worldwide, he expects that principle to work in the company's favor. "We will come out of this crisis stronger," he said.

Deutsche Post execs insisted the company will continue to provide good service to DHL customers sending packages from the U.S. to international destinations and vice versa. The company intends to focus what remains of its express network on metropolitan areas, which account for 90% of international traffic.

DHL revealed a proposal last summer to use UPS to provide domestic air express service for its customers (BusinessWeek.com, 6/11/08). But the plan quickly became politicized over fears that it would result in huge job losses in Ohio (BusinessWeek.com, 7/31/08) if DHL closed its Wilmington cargo hub there. The UPS relationship is still being negotiated, and a company spokesperson said on Nov. 10 that no decision has been made to shut the Wilmington hub as part of DHL's restructuring. By most estimates, though, if the UPS deal goes through, as many as 8,000 DHL workers there could lose their jobs by the end of January.

The company also will continue to use subcontractors, including the U.S. Postal Service to deliver to areas it doesn't cover. DHL's profitable freight and supply chain-services businesses in the U.S., which employ about 25,000 people, won't be affected by the cuts.

"Risk Everywhere"

Appel acknowledged that the massive cuts in the express division—15,000 jobs including previous layoffs—will generate bad publicity. Although Deutsche Post generated most of its $17.7 billion in third-quarter sales outside the U.S., about half of the company's top express customers are based in America and about half of all express shipments pass through there. The decision to stop supplying domestic express service provides an obvious opening for FedEx and UPS to try to steal some of those customers.

But Deutsche Post execs, facing early signs of a downturn in profit worldwide, decided to slash the U.S. business before the sales further deteriorated. In the third quarter of 2008, which Deutsche Post also reported on Nov. 10, operating profit at the parent company slipped 8.5% before one-time items, to $550 million. "We are entering unprecedented economic times. We see risk everywhere," said John Mullen, CEO of DHL Express. "We think it's critical to take action now."

DHL has faced massive criticism for the way it managed the U.S. business. Readers responding to an earlier report on BusinessWeek.com (11/6/08), many of them identifying themselves as DHL employees or customers, savagely attacked what they said was lackadaisical service and top-heavy or even incompetent management. Mullen said that while some aspects of the business could have been better executed, "It's hard to see what could have been done that would have led to a different result."

So when I tried to check out today, just to see what the final cost would be, the import deposit fees were no longer there. They would show up if I changed my delivery method to International Priority Courier.

And, FWIW, I don't think this is related to Canada Customs wanting their piece of the pie.

My understanding from other forums is I believe that Amazon.com stated they did not have a way of calculating these fees, previously, but that they were still being paid. I.e. Amazon.com was paying them, but not charging the customer. Now they have just added them in.

Although our shipments from Amazon.com appear to be shipped from Canada, they do originate from the U.S. and are then cleared into Canada, and shipped again from there. This is why we get uni-lingual DVD covers, as opposed to the bi-lingual covers we get from amazon.ca.

Although, the fees disappearing again make the above explanation sound less likely... Why would they suddenly take them away if they are still paying them?
I just cancelled my Wanted and The Dark Knight Blu-ray order and made a new one. Poof! No IMPORT FEES charged...hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by ChristianB; 11-12-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-12-08, 10:42 AM

From what I read the DHL closing is only the U.S. domestic service. The Global Mail service is not affected.

Also, I believe now that the import fees are only applicable to stuff that gets shipped by Global Mail. If you use a faster (more expensive) delivery option then DHL will deliver it to you by their courier service. And collect the duty and/or taxes and their brokerage fee at the door. Like UPS or FedEx does.

So you only pay the import fees if it is taken by DHL to the border, customs cleared, and then turned over to Canada Post for delivery.

Of course I have not tested the theory though. LOL!

James
Old 11-12-08, 10:46 AM

Oh sure, through a monkey wrench into it. LOL!

Who knows now what is going on. LOL!

Also, Amazon is affected by the DHL closings domestically so maybe they are re-thinking the whole thing with the DHL deal.

Anybody's guess now.

James
Old 11-12-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
Oh sure, through a monkey wrench into it. LOL!

Who knows now what is going on. LOL!

Also, Amazon is affected by the DHL closings domestically so maybe they are re-thinking the whole thing with the DHL deal.

Anybody's guess now.

James
Good point! I strongly suspect this is involved.
Old 11-12-08, 11:17 AM

Well I just re-did my December order and no IMPORT FEES were charged to the order...
Old 11-12-08, 03:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
If the import fees are only 13% of the value then that's not a bad deal.
You are saving the $5.00 Canada Post fee. Of course you will never get "lucky" again when a shipment wasn't caught by Customs and you didn't pay anything.

Can anyone confirm it's exactly 13%?

James
GST and PST are 13% in Ontario (8% PST and 7% GST), but some other provinces vary in percent. I was going to order something from Amazon.com and based on the value of the item, the import fee was approx. 13%. But I didn't complete the order.I haven't ordered anything from Amazon.com since the new import fee. I was going to order a DVD set from Amazon.com which was $25.99 US but when converted to Can.$ which is the amount you pay tax on, and plus high US shipping price and import fee, I don't think I'll bother. Also, to keep in mind, is the Can.$ is weaker now than it was a few weeks ago. The same DVD set I was going to buy is $47.37 Can.$ on Amazon.ca. Its an example of how much higher some DVD prices are on Amazon.ca than Amazon.com. Its the highest difference in price I've seen for the same DVD set. Obviously, Amazon.com want us to buy from Amazon.ca regardless of their high prices. Ridiculous.
Maybe someone can confirm if the import fee they paid is approx. 13% of the value.

Last edited by Book78; 11-12-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Book78
I was going to order a DVD set from Amazon.com which was $25.99 US but when converted to Can.$ which is the amount you pay tax on, and plus high US shipping price and import fee, I don't think I'll bother. Also, to keep in mind, is the Can.$ is weaker now than it was a few weeks ago. The same DVD set I was going to buy is $47.37 Can.$ on Amazon.ca. Its an example of how much higher some DVD prices are on Amazon.ca than Amazon.com. Its the highest difference in price I've seen for the same DVD set.
How about "Tell Me You Love Me"... $19.49 US on Amazon.com and $69.98CAN on amazon.ca. Or Sopranos Blu-ray sets @ 46.99US vs. $113.95CAN.

Sometimes it's just insane how big the differences are.
Old 11-12-08, 08:23 PM

Also, to keep in mind, is the Can.$ is weaker now than it was a few weeks ago.
No kidding. The Canadian dollar dropped 2.77 cents to 80.81 cents today. Ouch! At least the currency exchange rate rollercoaster can curb impulse buying. Sometimes waiting is a good idea...

Last edited by ChristianB; 11-12-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by andicus

>So when I tried to check out today, just to see what the final cost would be, the import deposit fees were no longer there. They would show up if I changed my delivery method to International Priority Courier.

>And, FWIW, I don't think this is related to Canada Customs wanting their piece of the pie.

I think it could be. See part of the message I got from Amazon.com today (below). Amazon.com webpage already tells us that the import fees are estimates of Canada Customs duty and/or taxes to be paid by the customer when the items reach Canada. They never used to collect estimates before to hand over to Canada Customs before now.
Here is part of message:

"Please understand that, effective October 15, 2008, Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an Import Fees Deposit for orders destined to Canadian addresses, I am sorry if you were not already aware of this. As we were unable to provide an import fees estimate for all the shipping options these import fee was being collected by the some of the carriers.

I see that you have not paid this import fee earlier to receive any of your shipments, however, please note that any import fee that is charged to your account will be levied by the instructions we receive from the country's customs department.

Secondly, as you may know, in the past we used Purolator and the U.S. Postal Service to pick up and deliver shipments to Canada when customers chose our WorldMail shipping option. Final delivery was made to you in Canada by either Canada Post or Purolator. We now use Deutsche Post Global Mail exclusively to pick up Canadian WorldMail shipments from our U.S. fulfillment centers. Deutsche Post Global Mail clears the shipments across the border and final deliveryis made by Canada Post. We believe that Deutsche Post will provide our customers with a more efficient delivery service. However, as a result of the change we currently do not have the tracking information previously provided by Purolator. Also, please be aware that we continue to offer trackable express shipping through DHL and UPS International, for a higher shipping cost. If you select Standard International or Expedited International shipping, your package will be sent via Deutsche Post; there may not be tracking numbers for these services. International Priority packages are shipped via DHL Express or UPS International"

Note above where they say:

"Import fee that is charged to your account will be levied by the instructions we receive from the country's customs department."

>My understanding from other forums is I believe that Amazon.com stated they did not have a way of calculating these fees, previously, but that they were still being paid. I.e. Amazon.com was paying them, but not charging the customer. Now they have just added them in.

I'm not so sure about them not paying and not charging the customer.

In the few times I've gone over my $20.00 exemption when I bought something from Amazon.com, most of the time I had to pay 13% plus the dreaded $5.00 Canada Post handling fee, so why would Amazon.com have to pay Canada Customs tax when customer pays it?

>Although our shipments from Amazon.com appear to be shipped from Canada, they do originate from the U.S. and are then cleared into Canada, and shipped again from there. This is why we get uni-lingual DVD covers, as opposed to the bi-lingual covers we get from amazon.ca.

I think there are a lot of things we don't know about Amazon.com's previous procedure of shipping to Canada or what they paid and didn't pay.

Exactly! We do not know the whole story.

Last edited by Book78; 11-13-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 06:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ChristianB
Well I just re-did my December order and no IMPORT FEES were charged to the order...
You probably will just have to pay the usual Customs taxes of 13% upon delivery by Canada Post (if value is over $20.00 Can.), which is the same as always. Import fees were just an estimate of Customs duty/tax according to Amazon.com web pages. If you ask for Standard shipping, maybe Amazon.com don't need to estimate import fees.
Old 11-13-08, 06:24 PM
Cool New Member

How about "Tell Me You Love Me"... $19.49 US on Amazon.com and $69.98CAN on amazon.ca. Or Sopranos Blu-ray sets @ 46.99US vs. $113.95CAN.

Sometimes it's just insane how big the differences are.
Arghhhh. Thats ridiculous. Huge difference in price. I complain about the
$23.00 difference of the set I was considering, which I won't be buying. Blu-ray cost a lot more anyway for DVD's and is not as established as he "regular" DVD's, and Canada is always behind the times from the U.S. In the above two instances, it is more worth your while to buy from Amazon.com. If you pay the "import fee" at the Checkout, and if its much the same as the 13% you would have paid before, it will be much the same.
Old 01-23-09, 08:55 PM

Re: Amazon.com "Import Fees Deposit" for non-US purchases

FYI guys, Amazon is again charging us Canadians import fees on orders!?
Old 01-24-09, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

FYI guys, Amazon is again charging us Canadians import fees on orders!?
I haven't been keeping up to date here. I thought Amazon.com (US site) was already charging Canadians import fees on orders? I haven't ordered anything from them for a while, so haven't noticed. When I do order, I try to keep it under $20.00 Can. because I don't want to pay Customs tax and the high price of shipping from Amazon.com unless it was something really worthwhile.
Old 01-24-09, 04:04 PM

I've never paid taxes ever on my Amazon.com orders. Amazon.co.uk sometimes - same goes for "international" DVD etailers. It's hit and miss.
Old 01-24-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I haven't been ordering from them lately, anyway, due to the exchange rate and the high shipping charges.

Still, it's a drag that it's back again. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-24-09, 10:13 PM
Cool New Member

I've never paid taxes ever on my Amazon.com orders. Amazon.co.uk sometimes - same goes for "international" DVD etailers. It's hit and miss.
I paid taxes plus the $5.00 postal "handling fee" a couple of times from Amazon.uk. Last fall, I ordered a DVD, from Amazon.uk and with them, you pay duty as well as tax, plus the usual $5.00 postal fee. The value was $24.00 or something Can.$ and Customs charged $2.50 for duty and $2.00 for tax and usual Post office $5.00 for handling. The total was $9.50. So Canada Post got more money for collecting the tax from me, than Customs did. I was pretty sure (I thought) that they wouldn't bother with such a small amount, but they did. Its not even worth the paper or time to process. Nickel and dimes...

Last edited by Book78; 01-24-09 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I got a bill from UPS for $11.31 for "US Customs Duties" and "Brokerage Charges" for an Amazon.uk order. Is this a regular charge I should expect, or is the assignation of charges arbitrary? This seems like some serious bullshit to me - I've placed dozens of orders before without any of these bills appearing.
Old 02-07-09, 12:56 PM

WOW! news to me - I get a shipment from amazon.co.uk at least monthly - sometimes twice a month - and I've never had to pay any kind of duty or brokerage charge when delivered! (I live in Tennessee)...
Old 02-07-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NoirFan, which shipment method did you use, and how long was it before you received the bill? Was it UPS that brought the package to your door?

I've had the Canada Post customs/taxes fees before (although not recently), but never anything from UPS, nor has UPS ever been involved in my deliveries from amazon.co.uk, to my knowledge.
Old 02-07-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I selected Air Mail, as I always do. Every other order I've placed with Amazon.uk has been sent by Royal Mail. For some reason, Amazon chose to send this particular order through UPS. I just received the bill yesterday, the order arrived January 28th. I don't see why I should have to pay UPS fees when I didn't select UPS as the delivery method. Am I stuck with this bill? How do I know I won't receive UPS bills in the future?
Old 02-07-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm as baffled as you are... If you look at this page, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...nodeId=3330451,it does show UPS as one of their carriers, but the first item indicates Air mail, which is what you would have expected, based on your delivery choice.

So it was actually UPS that brought you the package? I would get in touch with Amazon and ask WTH is going on.
Old 02-07-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would get in touch with Amazon and ask WTH is going on.
I sent Amazon an email. I'm pretty miffed about this, especially if it's going to be a recurring issue.
Old 02-07-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. I think many of us will be interested in hearing the explanation, and whether or not we can expect this for future orders..
Old 02-08-09, 12:15 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Today I got a bill from UPS for $11.31 for "US Customs Duties" and "Brokerage Charges" for an Amazon.uk order. Is this a regular charge I should expect, or is the assignation of charges arbitrary? This seems like some serious bullshit to me - I've placed dozens of orders before without any of these bills appearing.
Since you are in the U.S. I don't know why UPS will be delivering your package from Amazon.co.uk What did you buy and what was the value of the item? I am in Canada, and when I order from Amazon.UK, I am charged in British Pounds, since that is the UK currency. I've ordered a few DVD's from Amazon UK and at the checkout, payment for the DVD and shipping are in British Pounds. The DVD comes to me by UK Post, then handed to Canada Post when it reaches Canada, and if the DVD price (not including shipping ), is more than $20.00 Can.$ (around $17.00 US $, I would pay 5% duty on the value of the DVD, plus 13% on the value of the DVD for Ontario Tax, plus $5.00 to Canada post for "handling". When I order from Amazon, US site, I would not pay duty, just 13% tax because of NAFTA. With you being in the US I would think you would get your item from Amazon UK in British pounds, then its converted to US dollars when it arrives in the US and your value is based on the US conversion. Our exemptiion in Canada is only $20.00 compared to something like $200.00 for U.S. people. You shouldn't have any duty or tax to pay, but I am puzzled why your item came by UPS. All my shipments from Amazon UK come by International Post. The $11.31 is maybe for Brokers charges. If its a heavy item, maybe it couldn't come directly from the UK to you. I don't know all the facts of what your item was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.