Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

USPS left a package on my doorstep, it was stolen!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

USPS left a package on my doorstep, it was stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Neighbors suck. I hate the fact that UPS and Fedex leave shit with your neighbors. And USPS leaves stuff on my doorstop all the time. Frankly, I'm amazed that I've never had anything stolen, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I work at night, so I'm usually there for any deliveries.
Old 01-31-08, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffbrown
my neighbors dogs frequently shit in my yard. my neighbors cars are frequently covered in shit. funny how life works.
I told you, the dog isn't ours. Please stop throwing dog shit at our cars.
Old 01-31-08, 11:32 PM
Banned

Glad your story had a happy ending, Noir. There were a lot of good suggestions posted here that might help someone else to avoid an unhappy story.

I've had amazingly good luck with tons of packages over the years. Only had one missing as far as I know. I thought that maybe it got returned rather than forwarded along with all our other mail/packages (we had just moved). However, I kind of suspect someone may have taken it out of the mailbox...in the few months before we moved, we noticed a big increase of kids who had just moved into the neighborhood wandering through backyards, skateboarding down neighbors' walkways (off their front porch) while they were gone, etc. Absolutely no respect for owners' property (one or two were so surly that they would barely move out of the way of oncoming traffic and then would stare daggers at the cars who forced them to move out of the road. I know that sounds like an old curmudgeon, but I taught teens for 30 years...and I know the difference between "just being kids" and being defiantly aggressive.

On the other hand, our area has also had some shady mail carriers (not ours, thankfully...we know them personally & they really go the extra mile to deliver & protect packages). There was one local carrier who hoarded about 10,000 pieces of mail in a storage shed (never opened them, just never delivered the mail...including checks, bills, legal documents, etc.). Another carrier was caught on camera opening packages and stealing DVD's right at the main office. Evidently, he'd put them in his storage area or box and then smuggle them out when he went home. We've also had a few incompetent substitute carriers who kept delivering several different neighbors' mail to us (one day we got none of our mail but mail for two other houses). So it's safe to assume that he might have delivered our mail to someone else.

It does bother us when UPS or USPS leave a big stack of packages on the front porch (and they can be seen from the road). Someone's usually at home during the day to get them, but once or twice we've come home to find a big stack. Even if no one messes with them, I don't like the idea of advertising to potential thieves that we have lots of new items arriving. That's one reason why I won't have put collectibles in garage sales at our house. We had a fellow collector who sold some DVDs at the flea market and then was robbed of a $15,000 collection the following weekend. He suspects that someone may have followed him home to get the address. He gave some good advice...never give out your full name, address, or home phone to strangers who know you have something of value at your home.

Sad that we have to take such precautions, but that's life.
Old 02-03-08, 08:07 PM

If you didn't have insurance, I am not sure what your recourse would be. You should file a complaint with the post office as soon as possible. Is it possible to have things shipped to your office in the future?
Old 02-05-08, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Bullshit.

If you feel it was "stolen" you would file a police report.
Old 02-05-08, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jackson2006
If you feel it was "stolen" you would file a police report.
Someone stole my pen the other day. I opted not to burden the local constabulary with my $.05 loss.

I guess that since I made that decision not to file a police report, I should be saying that it "disappeared" or that I "gave it away" rather than using precisely applicable terms like "stolen." You're clearly right.
Old 02-08-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad to hear the end result was favorable.

I, for one, HATE using USPS for packages namely because their online tracking absolutely fucking blows. When 90% of the time I have the package in hand before the tracking is even updated to show that it is out for delivery, clearly there is a problem.
Old 02-08-08, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morf
I, for one, HATE using USPS for packages namely because their online tracking absolutely fucking blows. When 90% of the time I have the package in hand before the tracking is even updated to show that it is out for delivery, clearly there is a problem.
Delivery confirmation =/= package tracking, i.e. what USPS offers for their delivery confirmation service is different from what UPS/FedEx/etc. offer for their package tracking services. USPS employees have gone out of their way several times to explain this to me.