Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

pay pal dispute - item arrived damaged

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought speakers and they arrived damaged. The person sent them via the shipping store and it was insured.

So he made a claim with the shipping store and I made a pay pal claim. He gets pissed off that I made a pay pal claim stating he is not personally responsible. UPS came and took the item back and gave me a receipt.

How will pay pal react in this situation? He has proof of delivery and I have proof of giving it to UPS because it was damaged, so the records are set up. Neither one of us have pictures of before or after, so how will pay pal react? Will this go in my favor? I am just worried pay pal will rule in his favor and he will keep the money once the check is given out to him.
Old 12-01-07, 07:38 PM

paypal won't help you. all the seller has to prove is that it arrived to the confirmed address. if item is not as described or damaged, paypal will just close the case and rule in the sellers favor. this happened when i ordered from fye and they sent the regular dvd instead of steelbooks. you'll need to dispute with your credit card company which is a pain because the transaction went through paypal
Old 12-02-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you made sure that the item included shipping insurance, PayPal will rule in your favor. Either by refunding your money or making him give you the insurance claim.

Last edited by dablueguy; 12-03-07 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Isnt one of the dispute reasons that you select "item arrived damaged"? I rmember a while back paypal added several choices to the dispute resolution process such as "item not as described" and "item arrived damaged" because people were shipping empty boxes. They had a delivery confirmation, but there was nothing in the box. According to paypal the item was delivered.
Old 12-02-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, I reported that item arrived damaged, not that it never arrived. He has a tracking # that it arrived, and I have a # that UPS took when they took it back. He has a claim going with the shipping store so they are investigating for a possible refund, however I decided to start a pay pal claim to protect myself. So considering the shipping store will send the check to him once they decide, then I'm left out in the cold if he decides not to give me the $$, so I started a pay pal claim... I'm just wondering if pay pal will rule in my favor to make things more even
Old 12-02-07, 05:45 PM

I don't get it...if it was insured then why do you need to make a paypal claim? If it was insured then UPS should give you a cheque for what it was claimed to be worth.
Paypal shouldn't need to get invovled...?

-Ben
Old 12-02-07, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by treeman
I don't get it...if it was insured then why do you need to make a paypal claim? If it was insured then UPS should give you a cheque for what it was claimed to be worth.
Paypal shouldn't need to get invovled...?

-Ben
Because the insurance check goes to the sender who paid for the shipping..
Old 12-02-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by CloverClover
I bought speakers and they arrived damaged. The person sent them via the shipping store and it was insured.

So he made a claim with the shipping store and I made a pay pal claim. He gets pissed off that I made a pay pal claim stating he is not personally responsible. UPS came and took the item back and gave me a receipt.

How will pay pal react in this situation? He has proof of delivery and I have proof of giving it to UPS because it was damaged, so the records are set up. Neither one of us have pictures of before or after, so how will pay pal react? Will this go in my favor? I am just worried pay pal will rule in his favor and he will keep the money once the check is given out to him.
Why wouldn't you give the seller a chance to make good on his end of the bargain before filing a claim? It may take longer filing a claim with Paypal then it could have for the seller to get the insurance money to you.
Old 12-03-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
Why wouldn't you give the seller a chance to make good on his end of the bargain before filing a claim? It may take longer filing a claim with Paypal then it could have for the seller to get the insurance money to you.

If the seller was really interested in making good, he could have refunded the buyers PayPal account as soon as UPS picked up the damaged goods.....why didn't he?
Old 12-03-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This is the strange anachronism of Paypal:

Item does not arrive = buyer wins
Item does arrive = seller wins

Paypal has stated numerous times that they do not get involved with subjective disputes between buyers. I once bought PP's "buyer guarantee" insurance for an amp I got on eBay. It arrived damaged and non-functional. Tried to invoke the PP insurance I paid for and they denied it based on something I could never really discern. Buyer was able to get an insurance refund and then paid me back.

But this is one of the definite problems with PP. All they care about is arrived vs. did not arrive.

I agree with the posters above though, you should really give the seller a chance to make it right.
Old 12-04-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by dablueguy
If the seller was really interested in making good, he could have refunded the buyers PayPal account as soon as UPS picked up the damaged goods.....why didn't he?
The seller would not receive the information about the return instantaneously. He could have been given reasonable time for him to receive acknowlegement of the return, etc before filing a Paypal complaint.