Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Got an empty DVD from Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an HD-DVD from Best Buy on Thursday, The Bourne Identity. It was shrink wrapped, and appeared new. I opened the case and to my dismay there was no DVD in the case. I went back to the store to get a replacement, they said no, I would have to contact Universal (universalstudioshomeentertainment.com) and they would replace the DVD. Four days later, no response. I called Best Buy at their 1888 BestBuy number, and I was told something along the lines of "you bought the DVD new, and so you are at the discretion of the manufacturer." The representative did some "research" and I was told to wait for the email from Universal. I'm still waiting. I just want the thing replaced.

Will Universal even replace my DVD for free, and how long is it suppose to take to contact them?

Should I contact Best Buy again and hope that someone else is more helpful?

Last edited by ed00; 10-28-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 04:01 PM

It is a manufacturer issue, but the store can get credit for the faulty disc and should replace your DVD. Ask to speak with a manager. If the manager doesn't let you, politely ask for the corporate number, the store number, and the manager's name (store managers are required to give this information out)-- I think things will turn out okay.
Old 10-28-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If they don't turn out OK, dispute the charge with your credit card - don't make them jump through hoops because of their screw up.
Old 10-28-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting. I would never thing that I have to open the DVD right in front of them to assure myself that I will get what I paid for.

How can Best Buy replace something if you don't have the "faulty disc" to give back to them? I'd be interested to hear how your situation turns out.
Old 10-29-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I worked for Tower and saw this happen a few times. This is why I usually open discs in the car before leaving- never had a disc missing but one time I got one that was badly scratched so I was able to take it right back in and exchange it.
Old 10-29-07, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I finally got the email from Universal, it looks like they will give me a replacement. They'll be sending me a postage paid envelope so I could mail the empty case to them, and in "2 to 4 weeks" I will get my replacement.

I'm really disappointed in Best Buy's insistence on this not being a Best Buy issue; but then again, from the stories I've heard about their service, that's what I'd expect from them. I'd never have thought I would have to go through so much trouble over a $20 dispute.
Old 11-02-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fill out the little survey at the bottom of the reciept that best buy gives...
Old 11-04-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the only thing I could recommend is talking to a store manager if they can find one.
Old 11-04-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When my friend worked at Circuit City, yeah I know, don't worry, I stopped being friends with him because of it, he said some guy was buying movies, taking the discs out, then using a resealer to reseal it before returning the movie.

They eventually found out what was happening and then they started having to open each movie when someone returned one.

Could be the same thing.
Old 11-05-07, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
fill out the little survey at the bottom of the reciept that best buy gives...
seriouslly, to EVERYONE managers go ape shit over those scores. Fill it out, it takes about 5-10 mins, depending on how much you type or, how fast you can fill it out, and, you can even ask to be commented. I used to work for a BB, and, customer comments were added every tuesday, and on our thursday meetings, at least once every two weeks, we went over those scores, and we were very detailed. If you ever want to be heard, just use that survey!
Old 11-05-07, 02:28 AM

Agreed. I work at a Best Buy here in Orlando and we go over the comments every week. I get comments about me all the time.
Old 11-05-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ed00

I'm really disappointed in Best Buy's insistence on this not being a Best Buy issue; but then again, from the stories I've heard about their service, that's what I'd expect from them. I'd never have thought I would have to go through so much trouble over a $20 dispute.
I can understand why Best Buy wouldn't exchange that. There are way too many scammers out there that would buy DVD's take out the disc and try to exchange it. This isn't Best Buy's fault. You got the shaft and it sucks but it happens.
Old 11-05-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I can understand why Best Buy wouldn't exchange that. There are way too many scammers out there that would buy DVD's take out the disc and try to exchange it. This isn't Best Buy's fault. You got the shaft and it sucks but it happens.
Yes, clearly it is not the store's job to verify that returned merchandise is in fact, returned.
Old 11-06-07, 09:35 PM

In this case, I think Best Buy should have given you the benefit of the doubt and just exchanged it for another copy of the same movie. They should still be able to get credit from the distributor/Universal. I could see if you were a repeat offender and had tried to do this type of thing in the past, but missing discs do occur from time to time.