Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

blockbuster has changed pricing

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they now have 3 types of subscriptions:

1) by mail
2) total access limited
3) total access unlimited

3 movies at a time, unlimited in store used to be $17.99 now it is $24.99
Old 07-26-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
And people say they will overtake Netflix.
Old 07-26-07, 02:43 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
This article says they reduced prices. What did they do, increase the price for 1 day and then cut it?

Blockbuster Cuts Mail DVD Rental Prices
Thursday July 26, 1:52 pm ET
Blockbuster Cuts Prices on Online DVD Rentals Following Price Cuts at Netflix

DALLAS (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc. on Thursday announced price cuts on its online video rental plans, following a similar move earlier this week from rival Netflix Inc.

The company said it would reduce the monthly cost on its Total Access Premium DVD rental plan -- under which subscribers can rent up to three DVDs by mail at a time and return them at stores or through the mail -- to $16.99 from $24.99.

Furthermore, Blockbuster cut the monthly price on its cheapest Total Access hybrid in-store and online DVD rental subscription to $7.99 from $9.99. Total Access customers receive a limited number of DVD exchanges at the store per month, while Total Access Premium customers get unlimited store exchanges. Rentals by mail are unlimited under both plans.

Blockbuster also cut the monthly price on its cheapest Blockbuster By Mail service to $4.99 from $8.99. The most expensive Blockbuster By Mail service, which allows subscribers to keep three DVDs at a time, still costs $16.99 per month.

The company also said Blockbuster By Mail customers will receive the option to exchange their online rentals at some stores for $1.99 each, below the store rental price.

Blockbuster's $4.99 plan competes with a similarly priced offering from Netflix, which recently lowered prices by $1 on two of its most popular online DVD rental subscriptions. Netflix shares suffered earlier this week after the company's price cuts led some analysts to downgrade the stock. Some analysts cited increasing competition from Blockbuster.

Blockbuster shares added 2 cents to $4.19 in afternoon trading.

Netflix shares gained 55 cents, or 3.3 percent, to $17.25.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070726/block...ions.html?.v=1
From Blockbuster's site:

Unlimited DVD Rentals
For only $24.99 a month (plus taxes) you can rent all the movies you want with the BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium plan. Have up to 3 DVDs out at a time. Keep the DVDs as long as you want. When you're done with a DVD, just send it back in the provided postage paid envelope. We'll send you another selection from your rental queue. Keep your queue full and keep the movies coming.

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/s/howItWorks
https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/rp/regPlan
Old 07-26-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X
This article says they reduced prices. What did they do, increase the price for 1 day and then cut it?
That's actually brilliant. Raise the price to a billion dollars, then drop it to $16.99 a day later. That's like a 60,000,000% price drop!
Old 07-26-07, 03:22 PM

wtf, that article says the exact opposite of what happened.

My $9.99 1 at a time unlimited in-store exchange is gonna be $16.99 for new subscribers. And I was considering bumping my plan up to 2 at a time. I guess I won't be doing that if it's gonna cost me an additional $12 bucks a month!

Or is Blockbuster's site screwed up at the moment? It just seems like a major jump in pricing...
Old 07-26-07, 03:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Here's the press release from Blockbuster which confuses the issue even more...

Blockbuster Announces Expanded Online Subscription Offerings
New Range of Plans For Online Subscribers as Low as $4.99 Per Month
Subscribers Can Now Enjoy Discounted Game Rentals

DALLAS, July 26, 2007 –Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI, BBI.B) today announced that the Company is introducing a wider range of subscription plans including BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium™, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™, and BLOCKBUSTER® By Mail.

The new subscription plans are now available to all current and new subscribers to Blockbuster's online rental service with pricing as low as $4.99 a month. In addition, most of Blockbuster's online subscribers will now have the option of exchanging their online movies for discounted in-store game rentals as well as free in-store movie rentals at more than 5,000 participating BLOCKBUSTER® locations.

"Blockbuster's wide array of online rental offerings continues to offer subscribers the best value in the marketplace. With multiple subscription plans to choose from, we're giving our customers the ability to choose the option that's right for them," said Jim Keyes, Blockbuster Chairman and CEO. "We want to give consumers the most convenient access to media entertainment, whether that's through our stores or by mail, and are dedicated to doing that with flexible plans and pricing."

For subscribers interested in an online-only plan, BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscriptions start as low as $4.99 per month and go up to $16.99 for the three-out unlimited movie rental plan. BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscribers will also now have the option of exchanging their online rentals at participating stores for $1.99 discounted in-store movie rentals.

For subscribers interested in an online-only plan, BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscriptions start as low as $4.99 per month and go up to $16.99 for the three-out unlimited movie rental. BLOCKBUSTER By Mail subscribers will also now have the option of exchanging their online rentals at participating stores for $1.99 discounted in-store movie rentals.

For subscribers who want both in-store and online movie rentals, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plans start as low as $7.99 per month and offer a fixed number of free in-store movie or discounted game rentals per month. The Company's three-out unlimited rental plan offers five free in-store movie or discounted game exchanges per month for $17.99. Subscribers to the Total Access plan who want in-store rentals in excess of their monthly free exchange benefit can take advantage of the $1.99 discounted movie rental exchange offer.

For the most frequent renters, the Company's BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium plans let subscribers rent an unlimited number of movies by mail with unlimited free in-store movie exchanges or discounted in-store game rentals. Subscription plans for BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium start at $16.99.

Consumers can log on to www.blockbuster.com to sign up for a free two-week trial of either BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access or BLOCKBUSTER By Mail.

With more than 70,000 titles to choose from online, Blockbuster delivers DVDs right to subscribers' mailboxes in pre-paid postage return envelopes. There are no due dates or late fees with movies rented from Blockbuster's online rental service. In-store movie rentals are still subject to store rental terms, including due dates, and must be returned to the store from which they were rented. As of July 1, 2007, the Company had approximately 3.6 million total online subscribers.

http://www.b2i.us/profiles/investor/...&Category=1027
It seems that $16.99 is the low end of the unlimited instore rental plan. What is that, one movie at a time?
Old 07-26-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't think prices have gone up. They added plans with unlimited in-store exchanges, whereas before, it was one in-store exchange per mailed DVD. The $17.99 plan is 3 DVDs through mail with 5 in-store exchanges per month.

So the $17.99 plan might have slightly fewer exchanges in-store, but you still get 5 per month.
Old 07-26-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Unlimited in-store exchanges:
3 out at a time: 24.99
2 out at a time: 21.99
1 out at a time: 16.99

Five in-store exchanges per month:
3 out at a time: 17.99
2 out at a time: 14.99
1 out at a time: 9.99

By mail only, no exchanges:
3 out at a time: 16.99
2 out at a time: 13.99
1 out at a time: 8.99

Limited plans (1 out at a time, 2 max per month)
With two in-store exchanges: 7.99
No in-store exchanges: 4.99
Old 07-26-07, 04:12 PM

When do the new prices start? My account is listed as:

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
$17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time unlimited in-store movie exchanges
+2 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month
Old 07-26-07, 05:11 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Perhaps this change is just for new accounts?

I'm listed as being at $17.99 still for the Premium. But if I go to change account type, I see the three new plans. So maybe we'll keep the unlimited exchanges for $17.99. That said, I rarely make more than 5 in-store exchanges a month, so I would be fine with the $17.99 plan...
Old 07-26-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
new pricing starts RIGHT NOW.
if you jioned before today you are grandfathered in to your orgional prices.

there is something on the sheet that mentioned 90 days but i didnt catch what it was .
i have to look at the sheet again.

from the ablove post.....
not totally correct.

3 out is the only one with 5 trades.

3 out at a time: 17.99 5 in-store exchanges per month:
2 out at a time: 14.99 + 3 trades
1 out at a time: 9.99 + 2 traeds

trades include a $4.99 game fee per rental per trade.

also there is a 1.99 rental price after the trades are used up option.

oh also no more ecoupons for new members.

Last edited by whotony; 07-26-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Unlimited in-store exchanges:
3 out at a time: 24.99
2 out at a time: 21.99
1 out at a time: 16.99

Five in-store exchanges per month:
3 out at a time: 17.99
2 out at a time: 14.99
1 out at a time: 9.99

By mail only, no exchanges:
3 out at a time: 16.99
2 out at a time: 13.99
1 out at a time: 8.99

Limited plans (1 out at a time, 2 max per month)
With two in-store exchanges: 7.99
No in-store exchanges: 4.99
For the love of pete. They are just trying to kill their potential to be a good online source, aren't they? The five exchange limit is just too much, and over the top. So now instead of standing in line for 5 minutes to wait to be checked out you will have to wait 10 while the employee has to stand there and go through each plan. Ridiculous.
Old 07-26-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's funny about this is what it's doing to Netflix. Netflix had slower growth so they dropped their prices by $1 to match Blockbuster's prices - and Netflix was hammered like Jenna Jameson - their stock went from $20 to $16 (a 20% drop) in a day or two. The speculation was that Blockbuster was going to raise their prices (which they just did) and Netflix would be able to raise their prices back, which they soon will.

So today, even though the market dropped by 350 points or so, Netflix's stock price increased by 6.8% to just under $18.

Anyway, Blockbuster's plan used to be a good deal and something I would consider if there were a Blockbuster anywhere near me -- but the last Blockbuster closed down a couple years ago in this town of 110,000. Family Video has much better pricing overall and was just too much competition for Blockbuster. To be fair though, there are three Hollywood Video stores which are surviving.
Old 07-26-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i think bbo and nf are now the same price for all plans that dont include
trades in store at bbv
Old 07-27-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got this in my email this morning...

Dear Patrick,

We want to let you know about some changes to our BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™ subscription plans. This information is provided for your reference only – your subscription plan will not be affected by these changes.

Beginning July 26, 2007, there will be a price increase on your current unlimited plan. We will also begin to offer plans which limit the number of in-store exchanges available each month.

As a preferred customer, your plan will not change at this time. Please continue to enjoy your exclusive subscription plan, including no monthly limit on free* movie rentals or discounted game rentals when you exchange in-store, at today's price – far below the published rate available to new subscribers.

At any point, you can log in and review your current subscription plan or see all available plans. Keep in mind that if you want to change your subscription plan at any point after July 26, 2007, your new plan will be subject to prices and terms available at that time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at BLOCKBUSTER®
Old 07-27-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thats their nutty way of saying you are grandfathered in.
Old 07-27-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If he's being grandfathered in, why are they raising his price?
Old 07-27-07, 11:17 AM

If he's being grandfathered in, why are they raising his price?
The way they worded it was sorta confusing, but they are not raising the amount he is paying. They are raising the price of that plan for anyone who joins it in the future.

I don't think prices have gone up. They added plans with unlimited in-store exchanges, whereas before, it was one in-store exchange per mailed DVD.
I think unlimited in-store exchanges = one in-store exchange per mailed dvd. And now they are introducing limits on exchanges at the same price point.

It seems that $16.99 is the low end of the unlimited instore rental plan. What is that, one movie at a time?
Yeah, 16.99 for one at a time with unlimited exchanges. That same exact plan used to cost 9.99. ($7 increase!)

I guess if I ever need to increase my dvds per month (only 1 at the moment), I might switch to Netflix.

Last edited by mabus; 07-27-07 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I've been a member for over two years, but I'm not being grandfathered in:

"Dear Bob,

We have introduced a new pricing structure for our lineup of subscription plans.

As a result, the price of your current monthly plan Unlimited DVDs up to 3 at a time with unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99 will increase to $24.99, effective August 1, 2007.

We will not automatically renew your subscription on your next billing date.

If you choose to continue, please select a new plan."
Old 07-31-07, 11:00 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got the "As a preferred customer, your plan will not change at this time" e-mail. I wonder if it is because I don't use the in-store portion all that much?
Old 07-31-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

reminds me of Amazon selectively pursuing customers who took advantage of their glitch.
Old 07-31-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've yet to receive an e-mail. I'm kind of curious to see which one I'll be getting.
Old 07-31-07, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Didnt know they were emailing anyone. As my next billing date isnt until 08/17, I might not get one for a couple more weeks
Old 07-31-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes....Netflix here I come. This is just silly talk. Blockbuster is going to lose more and more ground. I know I was just quoted two months at $4.99 for 1 at a time.

Wow, no coupons for a FREE rental either...that will really suck.

I should've just stuck with my 3 at a time (w/two rentals), but I wanted to save some money so I dropped to 1 at a time recently. Blockbuster generally does suck with the BD/HD rentals anyways.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 07-31-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-31-07, 05:59 PM

My next billing date isn't until 8/20, but if i get an email saying I have to pay more, I'm canceling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.