Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Selling Titles way above MSRP (?)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-10-07, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have noticed recently that Best Buy is overcharging on a few titles and I would like to know the legality of it.
Title one is the HD-DVD of Blood Diamond, I picked this up last week for $34.99 at BB. I felt this was a little high since it's not a combo disc. And lo and behold the list price of this title is $28.99, a $6.00 difference.
The second title is Rescue Me Season 3 on Blu-Ray, thelist price of this title is $79.99, but my local Best Buy has it listed at $99.99, $20 above the MSRP. I thought it was common practice that an item can be sold at or below the MSRP but not above. Please let me know if there's some action I can take here to ensure that Best Buy is not ripping off their customers.

UPDATE: I checked Best Buy.com and they list their selling price of Blood Diamond HD DVD for $24.99 and Rescue Me Blu Ray for $62.99. I think I'll head over to my local Best Buy with my receipt and have them explain why I was charged $10 more than they should have for Blood Diamond. (I never bothered purchasing Rescue Me due to the price)

Last edited by cbtaber; 07-10-07 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You are the only that paid above the suggested retail price for it. Best Buy is not ripping anybody off, MSRP stands for Manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. I can't blame Best Buy if they charge more for something if you are willing to pay more for it. That's your fault, not theirs.
Old 07-10-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you still have the receipt(s), just rebuy the titles elsewhere at a more reasonable price (even online) and just return the 2nd copies back to Best Buy.

Shop around and get an idea of what is a reasonable price in the future.
Old 07-10-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Hot Deal!!!
Old 07-10-07, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by tygloalex
You are the only that paid above the suggested retail price for it. Best Buy is not ripping anybody off, MSRP stands for Manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. I can't blame Best Buy if they charge more for something if you are willing to pay more for it. That's your fault, not theirs.

I actually thought I was getting a deal because I used $10 in Reward Certificates, which brought the price down to $24.99.

And I know that MSRP means "suggested retail price" but that is the price that most non-big box stores such as Suncoast or FYE sell them at. Best Buy, Circuit City, et al, usually sell non sale items at $5 below the MSRP. But for a big box store to sell something up to $20 above the MSRP is almost unheard of. If this was a common practice, there would be a lot more wrong guesses of Actual Retail Price on the Price is Right.
Old 07-10-07, 03:28 PM
MGR

Yet one more reason NEVER to shop at BB, IMHO.

(OK, except possibly when they have an "exclusive" bonus item...
Alright, so I'm not consistent... )
Old 07-10-07, 03:31 PM

Still, it happens and it's legal.

About eveyone here at DVDTalk researches and talks about the best deals on dvds. Sorry you got burned, but unless you have a print ad for the movie at a lower price from another store AND then try to do a price match at BB, you can't do much about the price.

I did that with Legend of Zelda over the holidays. We just had to have it and bought it full price (49.99) at Best Buy. A few days later, we heard Target had it for 39.99. We took their sale circular and our reciept to BB. They gave us the 110% price difference, $13.XX .

Besides Dvd Bargains here, this link is a huge help too.

http://dvdpricesearch.com/

Last edited by radicaldeth; 07-10-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
If you hang around this bargain forum very long, you realize you should never have to pay anywhere CLOSE to the MSRP...as long as you're a little bit patient and keep your eyes and ears open.
Old 07-10-07, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is this in Bargains forum?
Old 07-10-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by radicaldeth
Still, it happens and it's legal.

About eveyone here at DVDTalk researches and talks about the best deals on dvds. Sorry you got burned, but unless you have a print ad for the movie at a lower price from another store AND then try to do a price match at BB, you can't do much about the price.

I did that with Legend of Zelda over the holidays. We just had to have it and bought it full price (49.99) at Best Buy. A few days later, we heard Target had it for 39.99. We took their sale circular and our reciept to BB. They gave us the 110% price difference, $13.XX .

Besides Dvd Bargains here, this link is a huge help too.

http://dvdpricesearch.com/
Your math is off. You would have received a little over $11, not $13.
Old 07-10-07, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Your math is off. You would have received a little over $11, not $13.
That's the funny thing. I did get $13 and change. ^^ Not sure why, but this happened the second day after Christmas and so the clerk prolly screwed up.
Old 07-10-07, 04:16 PM

My Best Buy story...I ordered four on-sale movies for pickup at a Best Buy store 15 miles away (the only store that had all four titles in stock). I got my confirmation that ALL four were ready to pickup and I got down there today and they had two titles only for me. Their inventory showed the other two were in the store but they could not find them. I asked for a rain check to be used at a store closer and they said they can only do it for their store. OK, I'lls till take the rain check. They then informed me that they could ONLY give me a rain check for the NON-sale price! WHAT!!!!?? What is the purpose of a rain check for a regular priced item. Freakin' ridiculous. I then asked to cancel the remainder of the order and they said it was not possible...just try back next week and see if my titles are in.
Old 07-10-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
My Best Buy story...I ordered four on-sale movies for pickup at a Best Buy store 15 miles away (the only store that had all four titles in stock). I got my confirmation that ALL four were ready to pickup and I got down there today and they had two titles only for me. Their inventory showed the other two were in the store but they could not find them. I asked for a rain check to be used at a store closer and they said they can only do it for their store. OK, I'lls till take the rain check. They then informed me that they could ONLY give me a rain check for the NON-sale price! WHAT!!!!?? What is the purpose of a rain check for a regular priced item. Freakin' ridiculous. I then asked to cancel the remainder of the order and they said it was not possible...just try back next week and see if my titles are in.
Did you ask for a manager or anything? That's nuts, if they sent me a notification that my items were ready and the store says they can't find them, I'd be asking for something in return for my troubles.
Old 07-10-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
cbtaber, seriously, BB's pricematch guarantee does not guarantee to protect you from your own laziness or lack of research. I buy as much as possible from BB, and I live for those times that I find it cheaper somewhere else. Perfect example is the Oz season boxed sets at WalMart for $20. Best Buy had them at $34-$40 (depending on the season). I bought them all, pm'ed, and wound up getting them for around $18 each. But I come here (as well as other websites) to arm myself for the battle! You can't just purchase blindly and then piss and moan because you found it cheaper elsewhere!

Also, as you probably know, BB doesn't pm online retailers like amazon.com or buy.com, so you need to compare with shipping taken into account before making your final decision. And before heading over with your receipt, see if you can find a local B&M with a lower price, then it will make your trip worthwhile. Otherwise, follow the advice given earlier and purchase the HD-DVD online, then return it at BB with your receipt.
Old 07-10-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This should be in the store forum! not here in bargains forum.
Old 07-10-07, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler
cbtaber, seriously, BB's pricematch guarantee does not guarantee to protect you from your own laziness or lack of research. I buy as much as possible from BB, and I live for those times that I find it cheaper somewhere else. Perfect example is the Oz season boxed sets at WalMart for $20. Best Buy had them at $34-$40 (depending on the season). I bought them all, pm'ed, and wound up getting them for around $18 each. But I come here (as well as other websites) to arm myself for the battle! You can't just purchase blindly and then piss and moan because you found it cheaper elsewhere!

Also, as you probably know, BB doesn't pm online retailers like amazon.com or buy.com, so you need to compare with shipping taken into account before making your final decision. And before heading over with your receipt, see if you can find a local B&M with a lower price, then it will make your trip worthwhile. Otherwise, follow the advice given earlier and purchase the HD-DVD online, then return it at BB with your receipt.

I know that I could find these titles cheaper on-line, but I had $10 in Best Buy reward certificates, so I thought I'd get a decent price regardless. I'm upset because unless I tell Best buy that they over charged me, i wasted that $10 in certificates, which was received after spending $500 plus at their store. I could have gotten Blood Diamond for $14.99 (Bargain!) instead of $24.99 which is what it should have been priced at. If that's the non-sale price on their website, then that should be the price at their stores. Either way, no need to call me lazy, that's a bit harsh.
Old 07-10-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cbtaber
I know that I could find these titles cheaper on-line, but I had $10 in Best Buy reward certificates, so I thought I'd get a decent price regardless. I'm upset because unless I tell Best buy that they over charged me, i wasted that $10 in certificates, which was received after spending $500 plus at their store. I could have gotten Blood Diamond for $14.99 (Bargain!) instead of $24.99 which is what it should have been priced at. If that's the non-sale price on their website, then that should be the price at their stores. Either way, no need to call me lazy, that's a bit harsh.
Their online store is not operated entirely in sync with their B&M stores. The prices often do not match up without a pricematch.
Old 07-10-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
cbtaber,

Some manufacturer's do have a policy for their sellers where they cannot sell above MSRP. But you'd have to contact the movie distributor and find out for sure what their policy is. And that's if they even tell you.
Old 07-10-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by radicaldeth
That's the funny thing. I did get $13 and change. ^^ Not sure why, but this happened the second day after Christmas and so the clerk prolly screwed up.
Tax, probably.
Old 07-10-07, 06:59 PM

Hello all,
I have noticed recently that Best Buy is overcharging on a few titles and I would like to know the legality of it.
Title one is the HD-DVD of Blood Diamond, I picked this up last week for $34.99 at BB. I felt this was a little high since it's not a combo disc. And lo and behold the list price of this title is $28.99, a $6.00 difference.
The second title is Rescue Me Season 3 on Blu-Ray, thelist price of this title is $79.99, but my local Best Buy has it listed at $99.99, $20 above the MSRP. I thought it was common practice that an item can be sold at or below the MSRP but not above. Please let me know if there's some action I can take here to ensure that Best Buy is not ripping off their customers.

UPDATE: I checked Best Buy.com and they list their selling price of Blood Diamond HD DVD for $24.99 and Rescue Me Blu Ray for $62.99. I think I'll head over to my local Best Buy with my receipt and have them explain why I was charged $10 more than they should have for Blood Diamond. (I never bothered purchasing Rescue Me due to the price)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
they can sell it for what they want, no one is forced to buy..MSRP
S is for suggested.....the final purchase is up to the purchaser..
DG
Old 07-10-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hot deal...

= J
Old 07-10-07, 09:23 PM

Their online dvd prices for Criterion boxsets are overpriced, they sell all the $80 srp sets at $100,
Old 07-11-07, 10:26 AM

do it!

Just go to the store and they will honor the price difference. I believe the reason for the price change is the MSRP has recently been slahed on all blue ray and hd-dvd prices. Alos, consider how much stuff best buy sells that is cheaper then amazon's(not used or from third-party sellers)? Lots. All the $9.99 dvds are usually $12.99 on amazon.
Old 07-11-07, 11:33 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that I could find these titles cheaper on-line, but I had $10 in Best Buy reward certificates, so I thought I'd get a decent price regardless.
I'll never understand this type of reasoning. So you had a $10 reward certificate, THAT YOU EARNED and deserve to get the biggest bang for that certificate. WHY pay a high price for a item and bring it down to reasonable? Find something else that you want, thats already at a good price and get it at a even better price?
Old 07-11-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
I have never seen this. My experience has always been that if you chose in store pick up and if the store you chose says the item is in stock but it is not, Bestbuy.com offers to ship the item for free. One time the store confirmed the film was in stock but when I got to the store it was the wrong version of the film, I still got the proper item shipped from Bestbuy.com with free shipping . Don't know why the gave you such a hassle. I would have called bestbuy.com and complained.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.