Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Selling Titles way above MSRP (?)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy Selling Titles way above MSRP (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
My Best Buy story...I ordered four on-sale movies for pickup at a Best Buy store 15 miles away (the only store that had all four titles in stock). I got my confirmation that ALL four were ready to pickup and I got down there today and they had two titles only for me. Their inventory showed the other two were in the store but they could not find them. I asked for a rain check to be used at a store closer and they said they can only do it for their store. OK, I'lls till take the rain check. They then informed me that they could ONLY give me a rain check for the NON-sale price! WHAT!!!!?? What is the purpose of a rain check for a regular priced item. Freakin' ridiculous. I then asked to cancel the remainder of the order and they said it was not possible...just try back next week and see if my titles are in.
I had that happen for an item and they told me to come back when it was in stock. Pshh. I talked to a manager and said, "Look, it's not my fault that I cannot locate this item in the store that says it's available for pick up." So they did a raincheck for the sale amount.
Old 07-11-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
I found your problem: you're shopping at Best Buy
Old 07-11-07, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I will try and call Bestbuy and see if I can get the items shipped for free. Thanks.
Old 07-11-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I was going to point out what MSRP stood for, the silliness of using a discount on an item priced too high, the whole "buyer beware" aspect of finding and verifying a good deal BEFORE purchase, the fact that this is not a "bargain" at all and is posted in the wrong forum, etc. But it's all been covered already! So all I can do is point you to my .sig.
Old 07-11-07, 01:53 PM

I agree they can put whatever price they want on it but normally you would see smaller local shops charging more then MSRP not usually a big named store. Obviously it happens though.
Old 07-11-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, Blood Diamond HD can be purchased for around $16 at the WB store with codes and what not.
Old 07-11-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just can't believe anyone would purchase a single movie (albeit hd/br) for $35...especially in the days of 5.50 bins, DDD and used shops.....
Old 07-11-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
i just can't believe anyone would purchase a single movie (albeit hd/br) for $35...especially in the days of 5.50 bins, DDD and used shops.....
But he had $10 in RewardZone certificates that made it an irresistable bargain! Add to that his blind faith that Best Buy would always offer the best prices around, thus eliminating the need for any sort of basic price comparisons, and it's easy to see how he fell into this rather clever, devious trap.
Old 07-11-07, 04:20 PM

CBTABER: Chalk this up to experience and move on. Then be sure to come back here often to find where the bargains are in the future.

Since you used your BestBuy rewards certificates and actually paid $24.99, you won't get any further discount from BestBuy based on their $24.99 online price vs $34.99 in store price. BestBuy considers the certificates as a discount. If you return the item (unopened), you will lose out on your certificates and will only get a refund for $24.99. The only price-matching refund difference they will give you now is if you found a competitor with a price lower than $24.99. It sucks, but when you use the rewards certificates, make sure you are getting a good price pre-discount and don't plan on returning the item.
Old 07-13-07, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rob052067
CBTABER: Chalk this up to experience and move on. Then be sure to come back here often to find where the bargains are in the future.

Since you used your BestBuy rewards certificates and actually paid $24.99, you won't get any further discount from BestBuy based on their $24.99 online price vs $34.99 in store price. BestBuy considers the certificates as a discount. If you return the item (unopened), you will lose out on your certificates and will only get a refund for $24.99. The only price-matching refund difference they will give you now is if you found a competitor with a price lower than $24.99. It sucks, but when you use the rewards certificates, make sure you are getting a good price pre-discount and don't plan on returning the item.
A quick update, I just brought in my receipt and a screen cap of the BestBuy.com website showing the $24.99 price and they credited back my account $10.50 no hassle. So when all is said and done, I got the Blood Diamond HD-DVD for $14.99. A bargain.

I did bring the overpricing of other items to their attention but they didn't seem to care. Not that I expected them to.
Old 07-16-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbtaber
A quick update, I just brought in my receipt and a screen cap of the BestBuy.com website showing the $24.99 price and they credited back my account $10.50 no hassle. So when all is said and done, I got the Blood Diamond HD-DVD for $14.99. A bargain.

I did bring the overpricing of other items to their attention but they didn't seem to care. Not that I expected them to.
Legality aside, BB sucks for charging above MSRP - and one reason why I don't show there anymore (at least not very much). A few years ago I used to buy DVD-A from them and noticed on a lot of titles they charged above MSRP. Crappy thing to do - and it does rip off customers.

Also - the $14.99 you paid is not a bargin. You actually paid $24.99 and used a gift certificate. I paid $17.96 for the same title and used no certificate.
Old 07-16-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
If you order for in-store pickup and they are unable to find the item, you should be able to call them up and get it shipped from the warehouse with free shipping.