Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

help me return dvds!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

help me return dvds!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me return dvds!

i just recieved a few graduation gifts, some being DVDs.
for the most part, they all completely suck.
i don't want ghost rider, i don't want norbit, and i don't want the bridge to whatever.

they were purchased from mediaplay in atlanta, ga.
i live in california, with no media plays around.

i figured i would just return it to the frys down the street.
does anyone know the frys return policy?
if it's still sealed, will they give me a store credit?

if not frys, where can i go?
i was looking to exchange them for a few HD-DVDs.
Old 06-29-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Send them to me, I'll take care of it.....
Old 06-29-07, 07:03 PM
Banned

Okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you can wait until the Christmas season, Borders takes back anything.

Just remove the FYE stickers.

Wal*Mart might take them back if they're in stock items.

I've got FYE's near me if you get stuck and wanna send them to CT. Last I knew though FYE issues credit on returned items. I might be wrong but that still might be true.
Old 06-29-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1961
Well if you can wait until the Christmas season, Borders takes back anything.
You don't have to wait until Xmas to return to Borders. As long as they have it in their store inventory(they'll look it up on their computer to see if it's in their inventory), they'll give you a gift card. The great thing about their gift cards is that you can use it online at Amazon(you'll have to link to Amazon from www.borders.com) and get the Amazon sale prices. Borders is severing their tie with Amazon in early 2008 in favor of their own website, so you better use up the gift card before then(I predict that the prices at the new Borders site will be higher than Amazon).

The other great thing about Borders is they don't give you any kind of hassle. They don't even ask for ID, so they don't track a receiptless return the way that Wal*Mart and Best Buy does. I'm sure that all 3 of the titles that you mentioned will be available at just about any Borders location, but you can check an individual store's inventory at www.bordersstores.com .

Hey speedy.
Old 06-30-07, 01:43 PM
Banned

i went into fry's and did it there.
but they took my id.

i just got two more today i don't want.
ugh.
where can i get hd-dvds without them hassling me or noting my id?
Old 06-30-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You don't have to wait until Xmas to return to Borders. As long as they have it in their store inventory(they'll look it up on their computer to see if it's in their inventory), they'll give you a gift card. The great thing about their gift cards is that you can use it online at Amazon(you'll have to link to Amazon from www.borders.com) and get the Amazon sale prices. Borders is severing their tie with Amazon in early 2008 in favor of their own website, so you better use up the gift card before then(I predict that the prices at the new Borders site will be higher than Amazon).

The other great thing about Borders is they don't give you any kind of hassle. They don't even ask for ID, so they don't track a receiptless return the way that Wal*Mart and Best Buy does. I'm sure that all 3 of the titles that you mentioned will be available at just about any Borders location, but you can check an individual store's inventory at www.bordersstores.com .

Hey speedy.

Hi SBJ!

Old 07-02-07, 10:01 PM

is there a limit to how many items borders will take back without a receipt? i have several dvds that were gifted to me that i don't really care to keep. i had no idea that borders was a store that would take receipt-less returns, and i'd love to get a criterion or box set by trading in those dvds, but i think it might look odd if i walk in with like six items.
Old 07-02-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
is there a limit to how many items borders will take back without a receipt? i have several dvds that were gifted to me that i don't really care to keep. i had no idea that borders was a store that would take receipt-less returns, and i'd love to get a criterion or box set by trading in those dvds, but i think it might look odd if i walk in with like six items.
I would split it into two trips of 3. They have to look up each title on their computer to make sure that they have it in stock. The more that you take, then obviously the more time it will take to look up(an uptight manager might take notice). Also, Borders will quite often have a Buy 3, get the 4th for free sale. If you take more than 3 in, one of them might scan for free and you won't receive credit for it.
Old 07-02-07, 11:16 PM

thanks for the info! i'll give 3-at-a-time a try.
Old 07-03-07, 07:00 AM

WalMart will give you a gift card for returns without a receipt.
Old 07-03-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
You don't have to wait until Xmas to return to Borders. As long as they have it in their store inventory(they'll look it up on their computer to see if it's in their inventory), they'll give you a gift card.

I know I'm the minority here but Borders has NEVER taken any of my returns. Everytime I've ended up with an extra DVD or an unwanted release and decided to give Borders a try, they've always looked it up in their system and handed the DVD back saying "This title hasn't sold from this store since last year (or past 6 months). We can't take it back." I always end up going to Wal-Mart. I know everyone else has never had a hassle (including my friends) but I must have a dishonest face. Either that or the Borders Gods hate me.

I hate Borders.
Old 07-03-07, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I know I'm the minority here but Borders has NEVER taken any of my returns. Everytime I've ended up with an extra DVD or an unwanted release and decided to give Borders a try, they've always looked it up in their system and handed the DVD back saying "This title hasn't sold from this store since last year (or past 6 months). We can't take it back." I always end up going to Wal-Mart. I know everyone else has never had a hassle (including my friends) but I must have a dishonest face. Either that or the Borders Gods hate me.

I hate Borders.

they have done that to me, and I always tell them 2 things:

1- The dvd was purchased in a Borders outside Puerto Rico
2- Your company website states that customers can return items without reciept for store credit as stated here:
http://www.bordersstores.com/care/care.jsp?page=4

They always relented and given me the store credit. The hassle depends on the manager at the time.
Old 07-03-07, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
they were purchased from mediaplay in atlanta, ga.
i live in california, with no media plays around.
Not to try to get off topic, but I didn't think that there were any Media Play stores left around, in Georgia, California, or anywhere.

Didn't ALL of their locations close in 2006?

From Wikipedia: "In December 2005, Minnetonka, Minnesota-based Musicland Group, which owned Media Play, announced it would close all 61 stores by the end of January 2006 and refocus on its Sam Goody and Suncoast chains.

Media Play had been unprofitable for a number of years. In late 2005, it increased its advertising and sales promotions, but to no avail. It is thought that the unprofitability, caused by competition from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and online retailers such as Amazon.com, was the major factor in the decision to close the retail chain.

The Musicland Group filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in January 2006, and in February announced the closing of 226 Sam Goody and 115 Suncoast Motion Picture Company stores, and all Media Play locations. Just months after the chain closed, the website Media Play.com was all that remained."
Old 07-04-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Autolycus
Not to try to get off topic, but I didn't think that there were any Media Play stores left around, in Georgia, California, or anywhere.

Didn't ALL of their locations close in 2006?

From Wikipedia: "In December 2005, Minnetonka, Minnesota-based Musicland Group, which owned Media Play, announced it would close all 61 stores by the end of January 2006 and refocus on its Sam Goody and Suncoast chains.

Media Play had been unprofitable for a number of years. In late 2005, it increased its advertising and sales promotions, but to no avail. It is thought that the unprofitability, caused by competition from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and online retailers such as Amazon.com, was the major factor in the decision to close the retail chain.

The Musicland Group filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in January 2006, and in February announced the closing of 226 Sam Goody and 115 Suncoast Motion Picture Company stores, and all Media Play locations. Just months after the chain closed, the website Media Play.com was all that remained."
I was under the impression that all their stores (Media Play, Sam Goody, Suncoast and OnCue) were all closed down in 2006. From time to time there's a post on the deals forum about Suncoast though. All the stores in my area, Connecticut, as well as stores that I have been to in my traveling, multiple stores in San Francisco and in Michigan, have all closed.
Musicland stores never really entered the digital age. They were all sellling cd's and dvd's for list, with sales of only several dollars off. Then they were bought by Best Buy around 2001, and expanded to do some electronics as well. But the writing was on the wall. I think Best Buy unloaded them after only a year or two and it was all downhill from there. Apparently they really dicked over the employees that stayed until the end, which doesnt really surprise me.
Old 07-04-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
I was under the impression that all their stores (Media Play, Sam Goody, Suncoast and OnCue) were all closed down in 2006. From time to time there's a post on the deals forum about Suncoast though. All the stores in my area, Connecticut, as well as stores that I have been to in my traveling, multiple stores in San Francisco and in Michigan, have all closed.
Musicland stores never really entered the digital age. They were all sellling cd's and dvd's for list, with sales of only several dollars off. Then they were bought by Best Buy around 2001, and expanded to do some electronics as well. But the writing was on the wall. I think Best Buy unloaded them after only a year or two and it was all downhill from there. Apparently they really dicked over the employees that stayed until the end, which doesnt really surprise me.
The Suncoast in the mall near me is gone...the Sam Goody remains.
Old 07-07-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, the media play in Chatt, TN just north of Atlanta was closed over a year ago.
Old 07-07-07, 11:36 AM
Banned

good catch, i pointed that out to my grandmother, who bought them.
atlanta native of forty years, i guess used to how everything is over there.
it's actually from FYE, after the store was transformed.
she's just so used to driving by the old store while commuting to work, i guess.

anyway, thought i should clear it up.
Old 07-07-07, 07:20 PM
Banned

Borders
Old 07-15-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Borders might be toughening(is that even a word) up their very generous receiptless return policy. I returned a couple of DVDs at Borders today and it wasn't easy. The cashier had to call in the manager to assist in locating the titles on their in-store computer. It literally took them 10 minutes to find the titles in their system and I was able to eavesdrop on their conversation. The manager was definitely skeptical that I had bought these titles at their store. They did give me a gift card, but I had to fork over my driver's license and they wrote my operator's number down on the return slip(every other time that I had to return something to Borders, they never even asked to see my ID). The funny thing is that I DID buy these titles from their store about 2 months ago.
Old 07-16-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I'm confused. If they weren't already locating the items on their in-store computer, how would they know how much to credit you? Or are you saying that they item had to be in stock?
Old 07-16-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The item has to be currently available in their store inventory to receive credit. I think that the problem was that the title that I returned has multiple listings. The one that they ended up giving me credit for was out of stock(but it was worth more $$$). The thing that concerned me was the taking of my driver's license number. I know that Best Buy and Wal*Mart does this so they can limit you to 3 receiptless returns in a year. However, Borders has never even asked me to show them my ID. Most of the time, I don't even have to give them my address on the return slip(just print my name and sign at the bottom). I'm hoping that it's just this one location because I don't want to be tracked. The kicker is that I'm not scamming Borders. The titles that I return without a receipt was bought from them. My family loves shopping at Borders, but they never seem to save the receipts(even though I have stressed to them to do so).
Old 07-19-07, 12:39 PM

Alright I have a strange situation here.

A couple weeks ago I purchased the SCTV sets at Dollar General on sale. Deciding now that I do not want season 3, I attempted to return it back to DG with no receipt (I lost it,) which turned out to be a big no-no. She also informed me that since I removed the Dollar General barcode, I couldn't return it either way. (I now realize that instead of using the standard UPC on back, they have their own that they put on there.)

So I decide to go to Borders to get a store credit seeming how they have always had the most lenient policy thus far. I am in no way shape or form trying to rip them off (I do realize that their price is much higher than DG but I am not trying to scam them.) When I enter, the set beeps at the door. I walk over, tell them they were a gift and asked for store credit or even just an exchange. He looks on the computer, tells me they are in stock, and that he just needs an approval. Bald manager walks over and they talk for a second. They they come over and say that since they beeped at the door, I have to "return them at the store they were purchased at."

Okay what options does this leave me. Should I try another Borders and see if they will do it, because all of the stores carry it. Do these guys simply think I am a theif and lied to me, or can they really not return it if it beeps?

Thanks for any help,
Shane
Old 07-19-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a YMMV depending on the mood of the manager. I have returned a DVD to Borders that beeped without incident. I even brought it to the cashier's attention that I set off the alarm when I entered. I would try a different location.
Old 07-20-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a YMMV depending on the mood of the manager. I have returned a DVD to Borders that beeped without incident. I even brought it to the cashier's attention that I set off the alarm when I entered. I would try a different location.
I tried to return a DVD that I bought at Borders (with a receipt) to a different Borders and they wouldn't take it because it had beeped at the door. It really annoyed me because when I originally bought it, it beeped as I left, I started to go back to have them properly deactivate it, and they just waved me thru.

I ended up changing my mind about returning it, so I guess they won.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.