Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why did Amazon.com stop accepting payments through bank accounts?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently discovered that you can't pay with your checking account anymore on Amazon.com. It worked really well for me because I don't use an ATM card, and paying with my checking account information was very convenient.

Does anyone know why Amazon stopped doing this, and if they are going to bring it back? I mostly buy imports through marketplace sellers, so I didn't really buy anything straight through Amazon. Maybe they are going to start taking PayPal soon?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I would imagine that fraud played a large role.
Old 06-26-07, 10:55 AM

I'm upset about this too. I'm trying to get my credit card balance down, and this was a handy alternative payment option.
Old 06-26-07, 12:01 PM

everyone has debit/atm cards with a mastercard or visa or amex logo, which you could use on amazon or elsewhere. Identity theft is easy, and if you throw out a check in into the trash and some steals it,that could real hurt your accounts
Old 06-26-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Convenience aside paying Amazon by giving them your checking account number is a phenomenally stupid thing to do. Use a debit card if you must. The credit and, to a lesser extent, debit card systems have worked out a set of consumer protections that are superior to when you allow the vendor to draft your account. Actually there is almost no protection at all when you give anyone direct access to your account.

Why do you think the Nigerian scammers are so eager to obtain that information?

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 06-26-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I would imagine that fraud played a large role.
Bingo. The problem is that those online places cannot verify if your account number is correct, only if the routing number is correct. You could have had a routing number of a box of checks you closed out ten years ago and get your dog to hit the numbers on your ten key pad on your keyboard so any random number came up as your account number and they would have sent you the product before they got notice back from the bank that you gave them a bogus account number.
Old 07-01-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
amazon.com problem

I was just visiting amazon.com wanting to purchase some books. Everything was going fine until i went through checkout. They stated that I couldn't order from some of the vendors because they didn't accept checks or money orders (I have a checking account set up).

I went through all of the books again with different vendors this time and was still left with the same message! I've had no problems in the past with using my checking account on Amazon and I know my bank account has enough funds. Have all the vendors on the site decided to decline checks? Has anyone here experianced any problems similar to this?

thanks.
Old 07-02-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Just use your debit card which is associated with your bank account (has to have the visa symbol on it). You don't have to use a credit card exclusively. It's the same thing. And actually, you might get 1% cash back with your purchases versus absolutely none when paid via EFT Check.
Old 07-02-07, 03:32 PM

When I contacted Amazon about this, they said it was discontinued due to 'problems with their processing company'.

I imagine the check-cashing-entity went belly-up pretty quick, particularly if they promised Amazon they'd handle the bad transactions...
Old 07-10-07, 10:28 AM

I received a letter today from Certegy Check Services informing me that my information was "misappropriated" by an ex-employee and sold to a data broker.

The information included certain checking account and credit/debit card data, including name, address, telephone number, account number, expiration date (for credit/debit cards) and, in some checking account cases, transactional data and date of birth.
Yikes. I'm off to place a fraud alert on my account.

Last edited by taronga; 07-10-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-10-07, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taronga
I received a letter today from Certegy Check Services informing me that my information was "misappropriated" by an ex-employee and sold to a data broker.

Yikes. I'm off to place a fraud alert on my account.
Damn that sucks, hope everything will get worked out!
Old 07-10-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the same letter... does this really have something to do with Amazon?