Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Old 06-20-07, 11:14 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phod
I'm sure they prefer glitch abusers to not order as well.

Win win situation!
Yes, I'm sure Amazon doesn't want to recoup any of their losses by selling items to people who placed an order during this screw-up.
Old 06-28-07, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by cookie5409
The saga continues. Today I received two more letters from my credit card company that Amazon is claiming the charges are valid. This time however they didn't include my order email & invoices but something called a "CNP Merchant Facsimile Draft/Authorization Log".
On it it gives info such as
Transaction Information
Transaction date 02/12/07
Transaction Amount $53.99

Authorization Information
Authorization Date
02/12/07
Auth. Amount $53.99
Auth. Time 14:43:26
Transaction Type Mail/Phone order

This makes it loook like I placed an order on 2/12 & authorized the charge. What will Amazon come up with next? I am really getting fed up with Amazon. Why not tell the credit card co. that they made an error with their BOGOF sale & it took off the discount twice instead of once & that was the problem with the order amounts on 12/23 I could understand. But to come up with this stuff. I just hope this is over soon.
Is it just me that Amazon hates or what. They placed my sister's account on hold now I receive this email from Amazon
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We have been contacted by the issuing bank of the credit card presented
for an order placed on your Amazon.com account. This charge
has been disputed and the bank has demanded payment from us. The
disputed charge will appear as a refund on your credit card statement.

Consequently, we have placed a hold on your account. We cannot process
further orders until we receive payment for the orders that
were sent in the past.

Your Order: #

Transaction Date: 02/12/2007

Amount in Dispute: $31.99

Item in Order: Eveready Heavy Duty 1222BP 9-Volt Battery

Please contact us as soon as possible to provide an alternate payment
method for the amount in question. At that time, we would be happy
to open your account.

My sister & I share a credit card & between us had 6 orders. I haven't read of anyone else having their account placed on hold. I am so pi**ed.
Old 06-28-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking back, do you wish now that you just paid Amazon or returned the DVDs?
Old 06-28-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cpgator
Please refrain from posting in this thread if you were not directly affected by the pricing error. Your continual negative posting in the other thread was one of the reasons that this thread was necessary.

Last edited by leeta; 06-28-07 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator

And therein lies Amazon's strategy.
Old 07-01-07, 03:42 PM

Is it just me that Amazon hates or what. They placed my sister's account on hold now I receive this email from Amazon
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We have been contacted by the issuing bank of the credit card presented
for an order placed on your Amazon.com account. This charge
has been disputed and the bank has demanded payment from us. The
disputed charge will appear as a refund on your credit card statement.

Consequently, we have placed a hold on your account. We cannot process
further orders until we receive payment for the orders that
were sent in the past.

Your Order: #

Transaction Date: 02/12/2007

Amount in Dispute: $31.99

Item in Order: Eveready Heavy Duty 1222BP 9-Volt Battery

Please contact us as soon as possible to provide an alternate payment
method for the amount in question. At that time, we would be happy
to open your account.

My sister & I share a credit card & between us had 6 orders. I haven't read of anyone else having their account placed on hold. I am so pi**ed.
Sent Amazon an email & this is their reply

I checked with our bank and we have issued a refunds to your bank.
Since we have issued the refunds, we need your permission to re-
charge your Mastercard, last five digits

If you wish, you may provide an alternate method of payment by phone
at 1-800-201-7575 or by fax 304-781-4960. Please send the following
information if providing a new credit card number via fax.

* complete credit card number
* amount of charge
* your name, email address, and fax number (or phone number)
* your reason for faxing the information

We ask that this information be faxed to us simply because email is
not as secure a method of transmitting your credit card number.

We assure you that you have not been singled out, you were charged
per out pricing policy. If an item's correct price is lower than our
stated price, we charge the lower amount and ship you the item. If
an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at
our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping
or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Now off to fire another email to them.
Old 07-01-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.
Herein lies the problem. Amazon did neither!
Old 07-03-07, 01:08 PM

Amazon refuses to answer my email except to repeat their previous emails. I asked them if eveybody who successfully disputed the charges had their account placed on hold but of course they didn't answer that. We know that out of all the people who successfully disputed the charges on this thread I didn't see one other person that had their account placed on hold. But they say I am not being singled out. No, a couple of hundred probably disputed the charges but I am the only one to have this happen.
I am wondering if it's because I'm a woman & I think the majority of people who did this deal on this thread are male?
Anyway here's their last email. Notice how they won't answer any of the questions I asked them. Funny how they keep quoting their policy in every email regarding if a price is higher that they will either cancel or contact you for instructions before shipping. But as everyone has pointed out they didn't follow this policy. I even pointed this out to them but of course they won't answer any questions or actually answer you but they simply repeat their same emails. I'm beginning to wonder if actual people are answering or do they have a program that answers your emails.

As my colleague previously mentioned, we have been contacted by your
bank regarding the following disputed charges:

I checked with our bank and we have issued these refunds to your
bank. Since we have issued the refunds, we need your permission to
re-charge your Mastercard card, last five digits

If you wish, you may provide an alternate method of payment by phone
at 1-800-201-7575 or by fax 304-781-4960. Please send the following
information if providing a new credit card number via fax.

* complete credit card number
* amount of charge
* your name, email address, and fax number (or phone number)
* your reason for faxing the information

We ask that this information be faxed to us simply because email is
not as secure a method of transmitting your credit card number.

Once we've received this information, we will issue the charge to
your specified card and will re-instate your account. We appreciate
your cooperation in the matter.
Old 07-03-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just wondering, why don't you just create a new account?
Old 07-03-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
No, a couple of hundred probably disputed the charges but I am the only one to have this happen.
I am wondering if it's because I'm a woman & I think the majority of people who did this deal on this thread are male?
You have got to be kidding!
Old 07-03-07, 02:05 PM

Amazon refuses to answer my email except to repeat their previous emails. I asked them if eveybody who successfully disputed the charges had their account placed on hold but of course they didn't answer that. We know that out of all the people who successfully disputed the charges on this thread I didn't see one other person that had their account placed on hold. But they say I am not being singled out. No, a couple of hundred probably disputed the charges but I am the only one to have this happen.
I thought I read a few people in this thread did have their accounts put on hold, but I could be mistaken.

After this whole fiasco, I had e-mailed Amazon and asked them to close my customer account but never got a response. I haven't bothered trying to log in again, so I don't know if my account is closed by my choosing (meaning it could later be reopened), blocked by them (unable to be reopened), or if it's still open. All I know is I haven't received any e-mails requesting payment (yet) for my chargebacks.

If you continue with calls or e-mails to Amazon, my only piece of advice would be to leave any allegations of sexism out of it. It's a baseless accusation, detracts from the matter at hand, and only makes the conversation more confrontational than it already is. Amazon probably has a customer base of at least 20,000,000+ accounts, so I highly doubt they're going to single YOU out based on gender. The much more likely explanation is that you're dealing with their completely inept outsourced customer service, because you're seeing the same copy-and-paste responses that they've been doing since this issue began.
Old 07-03-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
You have got to be kidding!
it's probably true
Old 07-03-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly doubt that is the case why you were singled out. I believe there were several female posters on the forum who were able to get Amazon to reverse the charges without having to dispute them. I'm a male and couldn't get Amazon to budge on the charges, and had to dispute them with my credit card company. I sure don't think Amazon was sexually discriminating against me because I was treated differently.

However you mentioned in an earlier post about purchasing Amazon prime. I do believe Amazon may be using that against you to cave in on accepting the charges. They figure you might be willing to pay $30 in exchange for losing the $79 paid for prime shipping. Amazon knows they have you between a rock and a hard place in this situation. They have acknowledged losing the dispute and cannot get you to pay unless you agree to the new charges this time around. Holding your Amazon prime account hostage is their only leverage to get the money.
Old 07-03-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just an observation and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but it seems that Amazon is persuing customers that spent very little harder than those that spent a lot. I suppose it does make business sense, though, as the people that spent hundreds and thousands, in some instances, would fight this to the grave while those under $100 or close to it will likely give in eventually just to stop the BS hassle caused by this whole fiasco. I do not think it is fair since I only bought a small quantity of 3 2-packs that I actually wanted but it does make business sense to recoup the small losses aggressively with e-mail after e-mail versus taking more drastic action necessary for those who made out like thieves. Maybe I'm wrong.

Others seem to have avoided the hassle by getting a Rep at Amazon to say something stupid and pomise to have the charges taken care of. Customers who weren't fortunate enough to either get a stupid Rep on the phone or via e-mail early aren't likely to get one now, so kudos to the persistent customers who jumped on the Reps early. I always ended up with the Nurse Ratched or Captain Amazon of Reps and eventually just gave in because the time and frustration was not worth the less than $100 I owed Amazon.
Old 07-03-07, 05:33 PM

I am not going to contact Amazon any further regarding this. I will just wait & see if they continue. The credit card I used for this was closed by my credit card co. because of the Amazon disputes. I have a new card with a different no. so hopefully they can't place any charges on it.
I gave my niece an invite for Amazon Prime so I can use her account to order . So they can keep my account on hold if they want it so bad. I did pay $79 for the prime but I did it when they offered a $50 grocery promo.