Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Old 02-07-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-07-07, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by videophile
Well, I'll go out on a limb here a predict that Amazon will not charge (except possibly for people with 10+ orders) for these.

It's now Feb. 6th. I haven't been charged, and no one has reported an extra Amazon charge. They've had plenty of time to process returns (I don't think there were a lot) and they haven't extended the deadline again. They were playing 'chicken' and they blinked first.

My own theory is that they realized that many, if not all, credit card companies would not side with the customer and tack on a fee for each disputed charge. They are cutting their losses.
On the other hand, they waited 5 days after discovering their error to notify customers. They are probably just reeeeeaally slow at doing everything.
Old 02-07-07, 04:01 PM
Defunct Account

No, I don't buy that. They charge me right away when I make an order, and they've had a month to write a script to put the charges through if that's what they were going to do.

I can understand it taking Amazon 5 days to figure out a plan for what to do after they discovered this fiasco. I think they decided to threaten everyone and see if they could recoup some of their losses.
Old 02-07-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by videophile
I think they decided to threaten everyone and see if they could recoup some of their losses.
I agree. If this turns out to be the case, then all of the people that actually flinched and returned the DVDs are going to be pissed off.
Old 02-07-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I agree. If this turns out to be the case, then all of the people that actually flinched and returned the DVDs are going to be pissed off.
Not me. I've been following these threads with interest ever since the initial post about the "deal." Decided to send the two orders I placed back not long after I got Amazon's email. Wasn't worth the potential hassle to me and ultimately I felt it a bit shady to take advantage of an (obvious) error by a vendor that's provided mostly exceptional service to me over the years.

Won't bother me in the least if everyone that kept their discs isn't charged an extra cent for them. Haven't regretted for a second having sent them back.
Old 02-07-07, 07:29 PM

. . . and slowly, but surely they sneak over to this thread. God love the righteous and the pure.

B.
Old 02-07-07, 10:15 PM

S'ok, he's with us. Slightly more upstanding, perhaps, but still with us... [/whisper]

-Toilet Dcuk
Old 02-08-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still nothing pending on my credit card.
Old 02-08-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Still nothing pending on my credit card.
Don't jinx it!
Old 02-08-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how soon until Amazon starts blacklisting people who didnt send the orders back?
Old 02-08-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kept my orders and nothing so far.

But..my friend made like 50 orders and sent them all back. He paid about $150 in shipping, are they actually going to pay him back?
Old 02-08-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
how soon until Amazon starts blacklisting people who didnt send the orders back?
Amazon has every right to blacklist customers if they decide to retaliate, but they might also be making a very big mistake if they did. First it was their mistake to begin with that created the whole situation. Second they may eventually recoup the losses from customers in future orders. Since the BOGO glitch happened Amazon has gotten 5 additional orders from me. Before it happened I just completed a free 2 month prime shipping trial that resulted in over $1000 in merchandise purchased from their web site. So the few free orders I got out of them is a minor loss when viewing the big picture. So if they look at my entire order history they would be losing more if they blacklisted my account.
Old 02-08-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by U6C84
I kept my orders and nothing so far.

But..my friend made like 50 orders and sent them all back. He paid about $150 in shipping, are they actually going to pay him back?
Why did he pay for shipping? He could have gotten a free return shipping label, or simply refused delivery and sent it back without paying a dime.
Old 02-08-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, he won't get paid back if he paid out of pocket
Old 02-08-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Why did he pay for shipping? He could have gotten a free return shipping label, or simply refused delivery and sent it back without paying a dime.
I assumed that the cost was incurred when the items shipped, not when they were returned. The "refused delivery" option might not have been available to him because the boxes were already open.

If I were to return my orders, I'd be out the $25 or so I paid in shipping.
Old 02-08-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To have it so you don't pay, you were supposed to print off the labels yourself, and Amazon would pay for shipping once they received the orders. That's what I did.

Also, Peep, they refunded me everything that I actually paid, have it the shipping or the totals that made up for having one set more than the other one. I got the refund just a day or two after they received my orders.

Personally, returning was worth it to me. It didn't cost anything, they gave me a refund for the original charges, and knowing that they have the orders now takes a lot of worry off of me. I'd hate to be having to check my account every day, worried that they might charge me. I just didn't want to have to put up with that. I don't need that extra stress.

I don't blame anyone for not returning though. More power to ya!
Old 02-08-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
I assumed that the cost was incurred when the items shipped, not when they were returned. The "refused delivery" option might not have been available to him because the boxes were already open.

If I were to return my orders, I'd be out the $25 or so I paid in shipping.
U6C84 didn't give enough information to know exactly happened. I wouldn't have sent anything back if Amazon didn't reimburse all shipping costs since it was their error. I probably would have contacted them first before returning anything.

If Amazon received all the orders back I would call customer service demanding they refund the shipping charges. I decided to return one of the five orders I placed and just refused delivery since I never opened it. Since there was no costs involved I didn't have to worry about a refund.
Old 02-08-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Personally, returning was worth it to me. It didn't cost anything, they gave me a refund for the original charges, and knowing that they have the orders now takes a lot of worry off of me. I'd hate to be having to check my account every day, worried that they might charge me. I just didn't want to have to put up with that. I don't need that extra stress.
Considering that this all started off with a glaring error by Amazon and the broad variety of customer service responses that have followed, including some people being threatened with charges for orders that were canceled before shipment, I don't think you can count on Amazon not charging you.

Sure, you'll have a pretty good position to contest the charges if they do it, but you've still got plenty of risk that they will screw up and make you jump through the hoops.
Old 02-08-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Considering that this all started off with a glaring error by Amazon and the broad variety of customer service responses that have followed, including some people being threatened with charges for orders that were canceled before shipment, I don't think you can count on Amazon not charging you.

Sure, you'll have a pretty good position to contest the charges if they do it, but you've still got plenty of risk that they will screw up and make you jump through the hoops.
I totally agree. That's one of the reasons why it's not worth the risk to me. Plus, what if one of the return shipments got lost in the mail or damaged.
Old 02-08-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ooops...I guess here's more information.

My friend made like 50 orders and he got freaked out by the e-mails so he decided to send them back instead of the risk of getting charged thousands of dollars. He already opened the regular boxes that they were sent in, and after talking with the customer service they said that they would send him the money after he confirmed the shipping amount.

So he sent them all in one big box for about $150 in shipping costs, but they haven't given him anything back yet even after talking with them.
Old 02-08-07, 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=LASERMOVIES]Amazon has every right to blacklist customers if they decide to retaliate, but they might also be making a very big mistake if they did. First it was their mistake to begin with that created the whole situation. Second they may eventually recoup the losses from customers in future orders. Since the BOGO glitch happened Amazon has gotten 5 additional orders from me. Before it happened I just completed a free 2 month prime shipping trial that resulted in over $1000 in merchandise purchased from their web site. So the few free orders I got out of them is a minor loss when viewing the big picture. So if they look at my entire order history they would be losing more if they blacklisted my account.[/QUOTE

who would really care if Amazon blacklisted them? this isn`t like ebay,paypal or columbiahouse dvd club, if Amazon blacklisted, just order from Wal-mart with .97 cents shipping or all the other stores. what really does Amazon have to offer that is so special? all the other stores have caught up to them.
Old 02-08-07, 04:52 PM

Well, I got a call about 20 minutes ago from a guy saying he was with Amazon, and though he couldn't give details over the phone, he told me to check my email for info about this situation.
Old 02-08-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Old 02-08-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xNightfallx
Well, I got a call about 20 minutes ago from a guy saying he was with Amazon, and though he couldn't give details over the phone, he told me to check my email for info about this situation.
Maybe they just wanted verify you were at your address. Why would they call you to tell you would be getting an email with details? Seems awfully strange to me.

Old 02-08-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Amazon is sending some goons after xNightfallx.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.