Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Performance plans worth it?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-18-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to get others' opinions on perfomance plans that various retailers offer -- hopefully from experience.

I originally declined Best Buy's 4-year performance plan ($100) for the 32" Westinghouse HDTV I bought last weekend (on sale for $699). I got it home and the unit was unresponsive to the remote control -- after testing the remote in the store, I ended up having to return the TV and get a new one. In a moment of weakness, I accepted the plan when they offered it on the new unit, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or get rid of it.

Is it really worth it?
Old 12-18-06, 03:21 PM

Like all extended warranties, it's a gamble and depends on how well you think the item will hold up. I can't imagine any repair out of the original warranty that would be less than $100. So if the plan is as all inclusive as the BB site makes it out to be, it should pay for itself in 1 failure. However, what does the fine print on the service plan say about coverage (specifically what's considered normal wear and tear on a TV)? Also, how well do you trust your local BB for repair or to ship and return the repaired item in a timely manner?
Old 12-18-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'd skip it. Chances are if anything is wrong with a "big ticket" item, you're going to find out within the parameters of the manufactuer's warranty anyway. If you get past 90 days and nothing is wrong, chances are nothing is going to go wrong.
Old 12-18-06, 03:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm like a broken record on this, but extended warranties are rarely, if ever, worth it. The house always wins. Why do you think Best Buy pushes them so hard? The margins are incredible...they take in a lot more money than they spend on repairing and replacements.
Old 12-18-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by i86time
Also, how well do you trust your local BB for repair or to ship and return the repaired item in a timely manner?
The BB I worked at left items for repair sitting in the warehouse for weeks at a time before sending the product to get repaired. I figure all BB stores are like this.
Old 12-18-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough call on a $700 TV, but while I don't normally purchase the extended plans, on higher priced electronics it is probably a good idea. I purchased the warranty from CC on my HDTV for either 300 or $400. It is currently in the shop getting about $800 worth of repairs - so for me, it was worth it.

Mostly you are purchasing peace of mind.

And regarding the previous post about BB keeping the TV in the warehouse - I called a service tech myself, and had them bill CC. An actual service company wants your TV in and out as quickly as possible.

Last edited by cpgator; 12-18-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Groucho on this. Don't bother with an extended warranty at anytime. All they do is make money for both the company and the salesperson involved.
Old 12-18-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't think i have ever gotten one.
Old 12-18-06, 10:46 PM

My experience with one was with Dell. I got a 26" LCD widescreen 2-tuner. Got the 2 year advanced exchange. Well, after 1.5 years, it has problems turning on after being turned off. Call them, they they no prob, know about and will send out a new one and you send back the other all postage paid. 2 days later I have my replacement and 4 days later I send the bad one back.

I do not remember costs, but I think it was cheap enough ,since I have been the same - hesitant about buying them -- so it would have to have been cheap enough, comparitively to the purchase price for me to have bought.

So you never know. Glad I did though -- as was said above -- paid for itself in 1 failure.

Just my 2 penny experience.
Old 12-18-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for peoples experiences with the best buy performance plans, you might wanna read up on bestbuysux.org
Old 12-19-06, 01:31 AM

I had heard that in an issue of consumer reports that was out sometime in the last few months said that the only thing that you should get an extended warranty is on either a plasma or lcd tv.
Just my 2 cents
Old 12-19-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The salesperson who sold me the performance plan claims that my screen is big enough (32") for a technician to come to my house if I was to experience any problems, vs. bringing it back in to Best Buy. Of course, I have yet to verify this.
Old 12-19-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
So far performance plans have saved me on almost every big ticket item I've purchased. Just luck of the draw but my fridge and big screen have died. The TV, well let's just say, I've replaced every part inside in 2 and a half years.
Old 12-19-06, 11:33 AM

I usually get plans with my high price electronics, and I almost always use them. The best use I've gotten out of one of these plans was at HH Gregg last year. I bought an all-in-one home theater system (dvd player/receiver/speaker set, etc) 4 years ago and bought the 5 year service plan. The dvd player stopped working, so I took it in for service. They weren't able to fix it, so they gave me a store credit equal to the original sale price of my set. I was able to get a brand new system that was infinitely better than the one I already had for free.
Old 12-19-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
It's like insurance, the house wins because for the most part people aren't going to have problems, but if you're the guy with the problem, you'll be glad to have it. Not sure I'd get it on a smaller purchase, but if you're getting a $2000+ TV or appliance, and it's in-home service, go for it.

If it's an extra 5 bucks to get a service plan on a 10 dollar DVD, then forget it...