Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

New Blockbuster Online program?!?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

New Blockbuster Online program?!?

Old 06-05-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are great. Thanks for all the info. Should be able to knock out 15-30 movies in this free month.
Old 06-11-07, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Anyone having issues with shipping right now? I'm on the 4-out-at-a-time plan and as of right now, I've only had 3 discs ship to me this month. My queue has been showing only one title shipped since Friday and no other activity at all.
Old 06-11-07, 11:56 AM

Same problem here. They received a movie from me on Wednesday and two more on Thursday. Nothing has been shipped back to me since. All of the movies in my queue are available.
Old 06-11-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No titles have shipped as of right now for me. I've e-mailed them about this and got the standard free rental coupon. If no titles ship within the next day, I think I'm going to cancel my account. My turn-around time has gotten slower and slower over the past few months.
Old 06-11-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on my first paid month this month, and their lack of adding HD/BD titles quickly is really starting to get on my nerves. They'll have them listed with their release date, then when that date rolls around (well, usually late night the Monday before) it just changes to "coming soon". So now I've got a queue stacked with "coming soon" titles, some of which have been "coming soon" since my trial started!

On the upside, I certainly like the in store check in feature.
Old 06-11-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have the delay too. but i just call and ask for the coupons. it isn't so bad since the coupons are good for games too (just bought a Wii). Every day that they're not shipping, I'll just call back and get a few coupons.
Old 06-12-07, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by cartman
I'm on my first paid month this month, and their lack of adding HD/BD titles quickly is really starting to get on my nerves. They'll have them listed with their release date, then when that date rolls around (well, usually late night the Monday before) it just changes to "coming soon". So now I've got a queue stacked with "coming soon" titles, some of which have been "coming soon" since my trial started!

On the upside, I certainly like the in store check in feature.
Same.

They JUST added Night at the Musuem on Blu-Ray. I still have a ton of movies that are on HD/BR that don't show up. Hell Ive been waiting for Alpha Dog since release.
Old 06-12-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've still got nothing new shipped. I received the last movie shipped(on 6/8) today. Once I mail this back tomorrow morning, I'll have nothing out at all. I e-mailed them for the second time regarding this issue. If it's not straightened out with this e-mail, I'm transferring all my queued titles to Netflix and cancelling my account.
Old 06-14-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned a movie to the store yesterday and wanted to see if it was still listed or did I need to report that it had been returned but not removed yet. The movie is still listed but now it has an asterix next to it saying that the movie was returned in the store and my next movie will ship soon. So besides the new look of the queue they added that feature.

Bob
Old 06-14-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just gave the Customer Service number a call to try to figure out what's happening with my lack of shipped movies. Nobody can figure it out apparently. I am getting two months at 50% off for my troubles though so that's a pretty good reward for the inconvenience. The guy I spoke to said something should be shipped out by Saturday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-14-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
has anyone seen the news about new priceing and a new service.

i lost thw link but there will be a $1 price drop on a new plan.
it i the 3 out but no in store returns for free rentals.

so 16.99, through the mail rentals only.
Old 06-14-07, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony

Who would do that? I'd go to Netflix if I couldn't do the in store returns.
Old 06-14-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Who would do that? I'd go to Netflix if I couldn't do the in store returns.
I'd do it. I think I've done the in-store return thing twice since it's been an option. I signed up with Blockbuster Online so I could avoid going to the video store. I know a lot of people love it but the program's done pretty much nothing for me.
Old 06-14-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

So the existing plans will still have in store returns for free rentals? or will they start charging more for this?

Seems like it'd be kind of a hassle for them to implement, since they'd probably have to have two different kinds of envelopes depending on which kind of plan you have.
Old 06-14-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not having issues akin to you guys. I returned 2 to the store last night after 9pm and I check my queue just now and they have already shipped out 2 replacements.
Old 06-14-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

current prices will not change for now.
but it was mentioned that they expect to lose 1 million dollars from those who switch.

adding 50cents to the 17.99 totalaccess to offset that.
Old 06-14-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i found the rticle so the details will be more clear.

Blockbuster Inc. June 12 upped the ante in its rental turf war with Netflix by implementing a series of strategic initiatives aimed at undermining the online movie rental pioneer.

The Dallas-based No. 1 movie rental service introduced Blockbuster By Mail, a mail-only plan with subscriptions starting as low as $4.99 per month for two rentals out at a time. The offer also includes a coupon for a free in-store movie or video game rental.

Blockbuster also cut $1 from its $17.99, three-out unlimited movie rental plan to Blockbuster By Mail customers.

All movies and games are ordered online and can be returned in-store similar to Blockbuster Total Access. Unlike Total Access, however, subscribers can only receive new titles from their rental queue by mail — not in-store.

Blockbuster is offering free trials of both Total Access and By Mail to first-time customers.

Netflix, which has offered a $4.99 monthly plan for some time, recently added three digital movie files from its PC-based streaming service for the so-called “5 for $5” rental plan.

Shane Evangelist, SVP and GM of Blockbuster Online, said the initiatives were aimed at capturing what he said would be a 43% surge in online movie rentals in 2007.

“We intend to capture our share of that growth [and] broaden our customer base,” said Evangelist.

Blockbuster has spent heavily (and lost money) while gaining market share, including 3 million subscribers, in the online space since launching Total Access six months ago.

Analyst Michael Pachter with Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles says the costs are worth it.

“It’s a smart strategy,” said Pachter.

He said before the launch of Total Access, Blockbuster Online attracted 1.5 million subscribers in two years. Pachter said all new subscribers and upwards of two-thirds of the original online subscribers have migrated to Total Access.

That leaves about 1 million subscribers who Pachter says rent primarily online and not in-store. The $1 price reduction to its most popular online rental program will cost Blockbuster about $1 million per month — a loss Pachter says the company can easily make-up increasing Total Access monthly rates 50 cents.

“It only takes a couple hundred thousand new Total Access subs to offset the $12 million they are giving away on online only,” Pachter said.

Blockbuster’s announcements sent shares of Netflix falling more than 7% in heavy mid-day trading. Several analysts reportedly described Blockbuster’s moves as “negative for Netflix.”

A Netflix spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
Old 06-15-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally had 4 new titles ship today. About freaking time.
Old 06-18-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blockbuster to go Blu-Ray ONLY in 1450 stores in July.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...00+_Stores/707
Old 06-18-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

All movies and games are ordered online and can be returned in-store similar to Blockbuster Total Access. Unlike Total Access, however, subscribers can only receive new titles from their rental queue by mail — not in-store.
Is this just a misprint? Or is blockbuster online going to expand into video games?
Old 07-12-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blockbuster.com is really starting to annoy me with the Blu-Ray/HD selection. All are either COMING SOON or Long Wait (or longer) it seems. I mean Black Snake Moan is STILL coming soon along with Primeval. Just annoying. plus, my local store did NOT get the Blu-Ray discs, so I cannot get them in-store. I'm debating about going to Netflix, but I like my free rental coupon. Plus, I switched to only 1 at a time, so the in-store is a bonus.

I wish I had a list of what stores got the Blu-Ray discs.