Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How long does Best Buy in-store pickup take?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done it until now, and it's been about 45 minutes and I still haven't received a 2nd email sayings its ready. Doesn't Circuit City have a thing where if it's not ready for pickup in 20 minutes you get a $20 giftcard?
Old 07-04-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Generally it should only take about 20 minutes or so. At least that was the goal when I was working at one. Depends who's working in the warehouse since thats who does the pickup orders. You might try calling the store if its still not saying its ready.

Circuit City has the deal if its not ready in 24 minutes you get a $24 gift card. Best Buy doesnt have any sort of deal like this.
Old 07-04-06, 01:41 PM

And if they are anything like my local Best Buy, expect to spend some time when you go to pick it up. First they have to find someone who knows anything about online orders, then that person has to track down the order itself. On average, this all takes about 20 minutes. I hope this store is the exception to the rule.
Old 07-04-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LilDears
And if they are anything like my local Best Buy, expect to spend some time when you go to pick it up. First they have to find someone who knows anything about online orders, then that person has to track down the order itself. On average, this all takes about 20 minutes. I hope this store is the exception to the rule.
Unfortunately, my store seems to define the rule. It took about an hour to get my notices that they came in. I even gave them more time by going to Wherehouse Music first, and it was 2 hours from when I received my confirmation email and made it to Best Buy. I printed off the sheet that says my order is ready to be picked up. She took my sheet, went behind a door, came back about 5 minutes later, with the sheet of paper in her hand, and asked if they email me and told me it was ready. Jesus Christ was this girl dumb. I told her 'confirmation email, what's that? oh yeah, its the one paper your holding in your hand dumbass'. She wasn't very happy, and called someone. Ten minutes later, someone came up, from the back of the store, and said someone will bring it from the back of the store up to the front. Just about exactly 20 minutes after I got there, I finally got my CD and left.
Old 07-04-06, 02:56 PM

My only experience w/ instore pickup at BB was back in Oct-Dec when buying DVDs online for instore pickup using BB Bucks. I probably made 30-40 orders for instore at various local stores. Sometimes I'd get the email w/in 15 minutes (about 85% of the time). The other 15% of the time it would either take a few hours, or sometimes wouldn't show up until the next day. Not sure what the difference was since I'd make maybe 5 seperate orders consecutively, all for the same store and 4 of the 5 would come back within the hour and the other wouldn't for awhile. I'm sure that didn't really help, sorry.
Old 07-04-06, 04:36 PM
Suspended

One more thing, just make sure they pull the right dvd you ordered, meaning if you ordered the SE of a flick, make sure they don't give you the bare bones edition, they have done that before, remember you are not dealing with rocket scientist there..
Old 07-04-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One good thing about this is that you can sometimes place an online order for a special price sale and your e-mail will state that you have 8 days to pick it up. My brother was able to get a cheap computer from the Memorial Day sale (Sun. & Mon. only offer) and he picked it up 2 days later. There was kind of a delay at the CS desk when he arrived there but still got the sale price.
Old 07-05-06, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doeman
One more thing, just make sure they pull the right dvd you ordered, meaning if you ordered the SE of a flick, make sure they don't give you the bare bones edition, they have done that before, remember you are not dealing with rocket scientist there..
Amen. I've done this twice, and neither time was successful. When you bring the confirmation email in is when they start the process. I ordered the two disc Steve Zissou, and they dispatched a dweeb to go pull it off the shelf for me. He comes back w/ the one disc, and she argued w/ me that it was the two disc. I went back to the rack and brought back the two disc for the two of them to compare the two of them. All in all, 30 or so minutes to save $3. There is a reason why they don't copy CC in their policy. They'd be giving out MANY giftcards.
Old 03-14-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the second time in about 3 weeks I've done in-store pickup, and neither time did they even have the item waiting for me even after I got the e mail. The first time it took them 10 minutes to track down a CD that was well instock, and today they spent 20 minutes looking for a DVD (found it easily, Parent Trap and PT 2 for my wife) and The Good, The Bad, and the Queen. You'd think the DVD would be the problem, but evidently they didn't think to look under "G" for the CD since I found it in about 2 minutes.

So much for using this useless service.
Old 03-14-07, 11:04 PM

When I was using BB bucks there was one time it took the entire weekend.
Old 03-14-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I placed an instore pickup order for two laptops before the store was open for the day. I had a notice of it being ready about 10 minutes after the store opened. I walked in, went to the desk, and they had both of them waiting for me. Took no time at all.
Old 03-14-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I never, ever take an email with me because the emails are always delayed. However, I got a "by the book" rep once but they will never make you go back and get the email, just "reprimand" you.

I usually leave the house 30 minutes after making a purchase.
Old 03-15-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
My last 4 Instore Pickups have been crap after I receive that second e-mail.

Usually takes more than 24mins and then they are never able to locate my item.
Old 03-15-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually give it overnight, and they still aren't always ready for me when I drop by.
Old 03-16-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Wow, we're not even talking about all the time it takes to get through the customer service line? All the BB's near me have the instore pickup in the same line as customer service, which is usually pretty long and really slow.

Otherwise, at least the ones near me pick the items before sending the confirmation email... they've always been ready with my items when I get there.
Old 03-26-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My store can never find the items. They always have to goto the floor and pull from there. Luckily this never turns into a problem, but it takes forever.
Old 03-27-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I ordered their McAfee for $5 off the website, got a confirmation email within an hour, and picked it up 30 min later.
Old 03-27-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LilDears

The someone at my Best Buy is the store manager. They are not always in the store either.
Old 03-28-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My local Best Buy (in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) has been clueless on this whole Online PickUp system since day one. I'll place an order online, get my confirm email within and hour, but every single time I've gone for the pickup (and I've tried 15-20 times) I've arrived only to find that they didn't bother to pull my items.

They have no clue that the main idea is that they should have it waiting for me after they send the confirmation email.

To make matters worse, sometimes I'll end up having to go and pull my items from the shelves myself (because Jimmy Jackass has no clue where anything is), and then I get the fun time of having to wait in line all over again, because they don't have a designated In-Store Pickup line.

In case anyone is wondering...just about every time I've done the In-Store Pickup is to ensure that I get online-only deals.