Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about DDD big 20% off sales?...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know their was one in November. I am just trying to remember when the other usually is?...I think June. The only reason I am asking is I just looked and June is just filled with tv show box sets being released, especially on Superman Day on June 20. So I know the sale will be the week before and I won't be able to use it on preorders.

Thanks!!
Old 03-22-06, 08:37 AM

Warning....warning....must not ask this question.
Old 03-22-06, 08:43 AM

Be prepared for them to jack up prices on key titles before the sale, then post here that it had nothing to do with the sale, then drop them back down (but not to the original price) when people point out how stupid we're not.
Old 03-22-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Shallow Hal:

I tracked that information and on most titles there was no price change. I realize some did change, but they don't do it across the board.
Old 03-22-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John-In-VA
Danger, danger Will Robinson!

Actually, I've shown amazing restraint in not ordering anything as I eagerly await the (hopeful) next sale. On the other hand, my wish list is getting longer by the month.

I imagine this thread won't last very long.
Old 03-22-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John-In-VA

I thought it was a no-no in the bargains forum.

Besides, its not me asking. Its my wallet when I keep seeing all of those tv box sets I want.
Old 03-22-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will probably be the Memorial day weekend. I used to get coupon codes from DDD in between the sales but not this year or since last spring or so.
Old 03-23-06, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Shallow Hal:

I tracked that information and on most titles there was no price change. I realize some did change, but they don't do it across the board.
I didn't say it was on every title. My point was that it happens on some titles, which was even posted by a DVDTalk moderator as common knowledge. For a DDD employee to post here that it doesn't happen is a joke.
Old 03-24-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap - can't believe someone is already bitching about a possible future sale that hasn't even been announced yet! Give it a rest!
Old 03-24-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I didn't say it was on every title. My point was that it happens on some titles, which was even posted by a DVDTalk moderator as common knowledge. For a DDD employee to post here that it doesn't happen is a joke.
I don't think any dvdtalk mod actually said they did..I don't recall, but we're no more informed about anything at DDD than you or anybody else is..someone might have said "they may" raise prices, but regardless...

most of the time the stuff that gets raised is NEW releases from the PREVIOUS week which the sale price no longer applies because the new weeks stuff gets reduced, people flip out like they're entitled to it at the lower price throughout the whole sale...or something along those lines..but people also have to remember DDD works out deals with studios..some want to participate..some don't (cough ADV cough) ..Maybe the studio only gives them a discount on X amount of titles sold at X price before it has to go up ...I think people tend to forget DDD is a business..but anyways I'm going to stop because this subject just pisses me off as people take it for granted and think they're being ripped off or something ...
Old 03-26-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Pretty much ever since the last 20% off sale last November, I've been cherry-picking titles and placing them in my "Wish List" bucket. I'm up to about 50 titles now and I'll be ready to pounce once the next sale is announced. The only thing that will thwart me is if for some reason they clear out my wish list. I've really been good about sticking to my plan and not buying anything. It hasn't been hard as I still haven't watched everything I bought during their last sale (he-he).
Old 03-26-06, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
I think people tend to forget DDD is a business..but anyways I'm going to stop because this subject just pisses me off as people take it for granted and think they're being ripped off or something ...
I don't think people expecting the sale is taking it for granted, because it's now a regular sale. I could say more about the pricing, but I'd just be repeating myself. I didn't post to stir anything up, I was just echoing the comments of many people (not just on DVDTalk) who noticed the changes right before the last sale.

It's just a discussion, though. I don't think it should piss you off that people talk about it.
Old 03-26-06, 05:34 PM
Defunct Account

I think that Pilot was pissed that people were often state falsehoods and half-truths when talking about DDD's sales. No one ever says "watch out, they'll raise the price of their weekly sale titles as usual, even if a sale is coming." It's always a conspiracy theory, people claiming that they jack up the prices on key items just before the sale to screw people over.

Some people would rather complain about a handful of prices instead of noticing that just about every DVD they carry is available at the lowest on-line price during the sale. I guess that is a little irratating.