Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What actions can I take/ authorities can I contact to report selling of Bootleg DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What actions can I take/ authorities can I contact to report selling of Bootleg DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, well over the summer I used Ebay to build my DVD collection up again. I consider myself pretty savvy to tell what DVDs are fakes and which are not, but looks like I was wrong on this one seller. He sold me an obvious copy of Kevin James- Sweat the Small Stuff. I contacted him and he said he'd gladly refund my money if I sent it back to him. I've done that and then he didn't respond to my emails for a good week so I then contacted Paypal and started a dispute to get my money back(the dispute is still waiting to be resolved).
I'm wondering who I can contact(preferably where to find the contacts online as well) to report this prick selling copied movies? I know in the past that this could be a matter investigated by the FBI if big enought and frankly I'd like a fair amount of justice to come to this seller so please tell me any and all authorities/agencies that would be relevant.

Thanks

EDIT:anybody know the link to report bad listings on ebay?

Last edited by sideshow23bob; 10-04-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only way they would bust a guy is if they caught him in the act with several thousand dollars worth of dvds, plus copying equipment, and so on...and even then many people are set up at flea markets and comic shows and no one is stopping them....

sorry to say it, but your probably screwed
Old 09-27-05, 08:49 AM

Just last weekend a bootlegger was arrested at a flea market in Rhode Island with a trunk load of DVDs he was selling. More arrests are promised in this case. The FBI was acting on a complaint from the MPAA.
Old 09-27-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PJAceto
The FBI was acting on a complaint from the MPAA.
Yes, this is who needs to contact any agency, not some guy who got burned. Only a copyright holder or their representative (MPAA) can file a complaint. If the OP goes to the MPAA's home page there's a link to tell them about pirating and turn people in. They investigate then file a complaint with the FBI and Ebay.
Old 09-27-05, 11:45 AM
Banned

I have always wondered how does ebay get away with recieving money from the sale of bootlegs, while a college student gets sued for downloading a film or song for personal use. Anyone?
Old 09-27-05, 02:22 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
I have always wondered how does ebay get away with recieving money from the sale of bootlegs, while a college student gets sued for downloading a film or song for personal use. Anyone?
eBay has lawyers and a college student doesn't.
Old 09-28-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any links to a newstory about that RI case?
Old 09-28-05, 11:52 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Any links to a newstory about that RI case?
huh?
Old 09-28-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PJAceto
Just last weekend a bootlegger was arrested at a flea market in Rhode Island with a trunk load of DVDs he was selling. More arrests are promised in this case. The FBI was acting on a complaint from the MPAA.
This
Old 09-28-05, 01:49 PM

Here is a link to the RI case:
http://www.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?s=3866660

In case it's gone, here's the text:

Two people face felony piracy and counterfeiting charges after police seized 10,000 bootlegged CDs and DVDs worth $150,000 during a raid of a local flea market. State and Providence police with a search warrant raided the Valley Street Place flea market Sunday morning, hauling away boxes of new titles.

Many of the pirated DVDs showed films still in theaters, state police Lt. John Leyden said. Officers raided the flea market after receiving complaints from the Motion Picture Association of American and the Recording Industry Association of America.

They had hired private investigators to look into the sale of pirated goods at flea markets.

"People with little palm cameras go into the movie theater and video the movies," Leyden said. "That's how all of them are done. The CDs are just copied over."

The raid followed a month-long investigation by state and Providence police. Officers purchased DVDs and turned them over to private investigators for the motion picture industry. Once investigators determined the DVDs were counterfeit, police got their search warrant.

Police charged two vendors, Sidikiba Magassouba, 47, of New York City, and Ann Salerno, 27, of Providence, with felony piracy and counterfeiting, Leyden said. They were arraigned at state police headquarters Sunday afternoon and released on $10,000 personal recognizance.

Similar investigations continue throughout the state, Leyden said. "These aren't over, and we intend to make more arrests."
Old 10-01-05, 11:02 PM

Back in the days when VHS was still the preferred method of renting movies, I rented what turned out to be obvious copies of several videos from a local Mom and Pop video store. At the time, the MPAA had a phone number which you could call to report these things. I believe it was 1-800-no-copys. Not sure if it still exists, but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-02-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dentam
Back in the days when VHS was still the preferred method of renting movies, I rented what turned out to be obvious copies of several videos from a local Mom and Pop video store. At the time, the MPAA had a phone number which you could call to report these things. I believe it was 1-800-no-copys. Not sure if it still exists, but it's worth a shot.
1-800-NO-COPYS is the number and is available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. You can also email violations to: [email protected]
Old 10-02-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if reported to paypal as a bootleg, and he hasnt already ran with the money, you should be able to get it back.
Old 10-02-05, 03:40 PM

UPDATE: yeah paypal gave me my money back on Friday morning though I still got stiffed out of $2 return shipping and I just sent an email to [email protected], so I'll let you know if anything happens on that end...thanks for all the advice, and if you have more feel free to post it

Last edited by sideshow23bob; 10-02-05 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 09:28 PM

anybody know the link to report bad listings on ebay?