Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD price increases

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD price increases

Old 09-12-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD price increases

Does anyone know why lately DDD's discounts have been less? For example, on newer Mondo Macabro titles (Satanico Pandaemonium comes to mind), they priced it at $13.27 vs. older titles at $11.98. It isn't much of a difference mind you, but it adds up. I was just looking at other niche titles, Panik House's Sex & Fury - 13.27, Blue Underground's Blind Dead set - about $66.xx and their upcoming giallo's - Bird with the Crystal Plummage - 19.xx and the other 2 at $13.27. So what's the deal? We could say as niche titles there is less of a market (and there is), but these types of titles have only built in popularity and sales with DVD releases. I heard a rumor that DDD was having some financial issues and that might be the reason.
Old 09-12-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsl76
Does anyone know why lately DDD's discounts have been less? ..... I heard a rumor that DDD was having some financial issues and that might be the reason.
Their discounts have been less ? Sure, there may be some specific items that have price increases - this happens at each and every site on the web. Take a look at some of the active threads in the Bargains forum, and the great deals they currently have, before making such a generalized statement.

As for the "rumor" you heard - where exactly did you hear this "rumor" - or are you simply floating an idea of your own?
Old 09-12-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
I remember a few months ago DDD raised all the prices on their ADV anime DVDs from 17.99 to 19.99 or so. The speculation at the time was that it was either because the vendor had increased the price or DDD was artificially raising prices before a 20% sale. The 20% sale did come and go, but the prices remained higher.

I don't think they're in any financial trouble, though I admit I have no insider information or anything. Most likely, they're just increasing the margin a little.
Old 09-12-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts
DDD still has some of the best prices around, and I'd bet that any price increases are the result of higher prices from their vendors or increases in other costs of doing business. Since the increases have only been made for a few specific lines I'd imagine that the vendor prices went up on those items.

Aside from the slower shipping DDD has been great for me. They are my primary source for DVDs (followed by DigitalEyes and Amazon).
Old 09-12-05, 01:32 PM
JGwinn1048

Originally Posted by fujishig
I remember a few months ago DDD raised all the prices on their ADV anime DVDs from 17.99 to 19.99 or so. The speculation at the time was that it was either because the vendor had increased the price or DDD was artificially raising prices before a 20% sale. The 20% sale did come and go, but the prices remained higher.

I don't think they're in any financial trouble, though I admit I have no insider information or anything. Most likely, they're just increasing the margin a little.
After the 20% sale, all ADV dvds added to DDD for purchase were at the original 17.99$ price. However, dvds before that, for the most part, remained slightly higher. Probably had to do it so they wouldn't eat a huge loss, though I'd wish they restore the prices of the titles before the sale went off.
Old 09-12-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The niche titles which are $19.99 retail used to all go (whether Anchor Bay, Mondo Macabro, Blue Underground, Synapse, etc.) for $11.98, so maybe other cost have initiated the increase. As for the rumor, it is just that, I read it somewhere on DVDtalk around the end of the last 20% off sale. Someone mentioned they heard this might be the case and so I was querying whether that were true and might be part of the above price increase. That said, they do still have, for the most part, the best prices (terribly slow shipping though). I will still purchase from them as they still do tend to have the best prices, but they should watch out on increases (though they might be neccessary for them), because if they get too close to other competitor's pricing, some customers might shop elsewhere so they can receive it faster.
Old 09-12-05, 10:54 PM

Also IMHO, remember the market has alot to do with it. Vendors respond to each others price changes, regardless of actual cost or other factors for the company. I have seen BN's DVD and book prices fluxuate week-to-week, up and down, as well as other online vendors, like Borders and Amazon, whether niche or general catalog product. (IIRC, recently, DDD did price match some online vendors on release week and then up the price back afterwards.) In other words, if your competitor is selling something for say $4 more than you, and making sales, you may just up yours (for like others said, better margins).

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 09-13-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DDDs prices went up the same time Best Buy stopped free shipping. DDD prices havent been GREAT on new releases since then. basically because now they can make an extra 2 bucks and still beat the BB price by a few pennies because they can add in BB's shipping cost.

older DVDs remain to have pretty great prices for the most part, but for brand new releases, especially of current movies, its just not really worth it to order for me until theres a 20% off sale. if its going to be the same price as Best Buy, I would rather get the DVD on release day from a B&M BB, since even with tax its only about a buck difference.

of course there are exceptions, but this is how Ive been seeing things there for awhile now.