Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

TV has been in repair for 3+ months, I hate Best Buy, need advice please

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-19-05, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've been posting about this situation in my blog for a few months now, it's kinda lengthy and drawn out.

Nutshell:
Bought a brand new HDTV.
Best Buy Delivery damaged it upon delivery.
I noticed the damage 2 weeks after the fact (I was hooking up some things).
Best Buy Delivery isn't going to pay for repair.
Best Buy Service plan isn't going to cover it.
It's been in the repair shop for 3+ months because "2nd part is on order".

So there are a few things of course, the main ones being how do I get my TV back? How do I get Best Buy Delivery to pay up? or How do I get Best Buy Warranty to pay up instead?

Here are the relevant posts in complete detail:
Not-Really-The-Best-Buy
Not-Really-The-Best-Buy-II (A.K.A. Da*n Best Buy)
Not-Really-The-Best-Buy-III
Not-Really-The-Best-Buy-IV

The advice from my parents was just to pay up, because Best Buy could really mess up your credit otherwise, that true?

My credit card company can't help me either, details in the posts.

Any advice, legal or otherwise would really help me out, I'm feeling very frustrated and annoyed because I can't do anything about this.
Old 01-19-05, 01:50 PM
Banned

American Express? Try this: https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...protection.jsp

Worth a shot.
Old 01-19-05, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Otto
American Express? Try this: https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...protection.jsp

Worth a shot.
Tried it, AMEX said that the TV isn't covered by their Purchase Protection because the damage was done by a third party (this case, BB Delivery) and not me personally. Also, the damage must be reported within 10 days of occuring.
Old 01-19-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Call the local consumer affairs office and see what they say. When I had a bad problem with a company, the CA office (in VA even), got me my money back pronto.
Old 01-19-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Were you not able to just return the TV within the 30 day return period?

If not, I think you are kind of stuck. I realize it is not your fault, but the delivery people are not going to take responsibility after they walk off the property. In fact, when I had Ultimate deliver a TV, they had me sign a form saying the TV was delivered in good shape (I of course looked over the TV real good).

edit: as far as getting your TV back quickly, call or go to Best Buy and do not leave untill they tell you the exact part(s) they are waiting on. Then contact the TV maker and find their local representative and find out what the deal is with the parts. Ask the TV maker where else you can take the TV to get it repaired under warranty (worth a shot). Then see if you can pick up the TV and take it to another place.

Tho I'm not understanding how the delivery people broke something. I mean I can see if they cracked or scratched the case, but this would not be a part?

OK, I just read your blog. I would just go get your TV un-repaired and take it to another authorized Sony dealer. You are going to have to pay for the repairs anyway, why give more money to BB? I think you are just going to have to chalk it up to bad luck. I agee with you that it was either delivered damaged or the delivery people did it. But you didn't notice or catch it while they were there and it is physical damage (vs. a part burning out). So most warranty would not cover it (just like if you had dropped it).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-19-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 10:43 AM

www.bestbuysux.org

read it, know it, live it
Old 01-23-05, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an idea, DON'T BUY FROM BEST BUY. I have never understood why people buy electronics from them, especially because the crappy brands they carry and the staff is so clueless its pathetic. Maybe I'm spoiled here in Orange County, because of all the independents I have around here to choose from.
Old 01-23-05, 05:11 PM

All right, there are a few things you can do but they all pretty much require you to be a real jerk to a few people and I need more information before typing out a rather length procedure for you to follow:

1.) Is the TV too heavy for you to lift on your own? Did it remain in the same place the delivery folks had originally delivered it to until you returned it?

2.) Did you pay using cash, credit or debit? (extremely important) Okay I see now it was a credit card and although your first post in this forum indicates there are reasons that you can't go through them I fail to see them listed. The idea that a stop payment only affects bestbuy is confusing since it is bestbuy you want to affect. The 10 days and outside damage post doesn't fit with any federal regulation on stop payment or chargebacks so I can't imagine an american express representative would claim they had that policy for those services which is what you would want to try.

3.) Have you been writing down the names of the people you've been speaking to including the ones who promised a replacement if not fixed in 45 days and the repairman that said Best Buy would take care of it?

let me know on those three and I'll let you know what you can do.

Michael

Last edited by Mhepburn20; 01-23-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 05:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would get the BBB involved at this point. That's often enough to get a company to buckle.
Old 01-23-05, 10:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
No offense to Spooon69, but if I was Best Buy I wouldn't pay for the repair either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Best Buy and rarely shop there anymore, but I fully understand why they are refusing to pay for the repairs.

I'm sure they are curious why the delivery damages weren't reported until two weeks after delivery (especially since they normally have a release that you sign at the time of delivery saying everything was OK).

Look at it this way: If Best Buy paid for these repairs every Tom, Dick and Harry could claim their product was damaged upon delivery even if, in reality, it was damaged by the customer on a later date.

Now, in no way am I saying that Spooon69 did the damage to his TV -- I'm simply explaining why Best Buy will continue to deny this claim.
Old 01-24-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Well, if the delivery company didn't have some kind of sign off, then I could see how they could be liable.

Other than that, I agree with rich-y EXCEPT for the three month wait on the TV. You should be able to pay them and get your TV back in a reasonable amount of time, though from your post I'm not sure if Best buy is doing the repairs or if it's some other company...