Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Old 04-13-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

^
Yup. I've had it happen a couple of times. It seems to be a pretty rare occurrence.
Old 04-22-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

It looks like Netflix is cutting back (even more) on the Blu-Rays it is making available. I just noticed that two new releases, -"Justice League: Doom" and "The Innkeepers" are only available on DVD.
Old 04-22-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
It looks like Netflix is cutting back (even more) on the Blu-Rays it is making available. I just noticed that two new releases, -"Justice League: Doom" and "The Innkeepers" are only available on DVD.
I understand it helps them cut costs. I just hope they plan to reduce the price of the BD premium accordingly.

Old 04-22-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as people love to complain about Netflix, for an avid watcher like me who is trying to catch up on a lot of older films, there's really nothing out there I know of that compares to its selection (even putting TV shows aside).

Regarding the price, for $27.98 a month, I get 3 blu rays out at a time and unlimited streaming - in 2012. I probably watch 10-12 blu ray titles a month and maybe another 2-4 streaming. If you sum that on the low side each way (12 movies total) that's about $2.33 a movie. Granted my parents always paid for my rentals back in the 90s, but I would venture to say they paid just as much, if not more for VHS and DVD rentals 15 years ago.

Once again, I don't think Netflix is the super-amazing deal it used to be, and yes, the price increase ticked me off. Still a good bargain for avid movie watchers in my opinion, though.

Am I missing something? Is there a better deal I could be taking advantage of?
Old 04-23-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've resigned myself to the fact they aren't doing any of the Marvel or DC animated flicks on Blu Ray. I've either bought them or gone to Redbox for them. Sort of annoying, but oh well.
Old 04-24-12, 10:23 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Sometimes Netflix will add the film on Blu ray after a long delay. I've seen stuff appear months later.
Old 05-29-12, 04:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed that the Warner title, Wrath of the Titans, in my queue has a release date of 6/26/12. That is the on sale date and Warner titles have an eight week delay on Netflix. All the Warner titles before that one still have a delay. New Year's Eve is also scheduled on 6/26/12, eight weeks after the on sale release date.

Have Warner and Netflix quietly changed their ways starting with Wrath of the Titans or is just this an error?
Old 05-29-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
As much as people love to complain about Netflix, for an avid watcher like me who is trying to catch up on a lot of older films, there's really nothing out there I know of that compares to its selection (even putting TV shows aside).

Regarding the price, for $27.98 a month, I get 3 blu rays out at a time and unlimited streaming - in 2012. I probably watch 10-12 blu ray titles a month and maybe another 2-4 streaming. If you sum that on the low side each way (12 movies total) that's about $2.33 a movie. Granted my parents always paid for my rentals back in the 90s, but I would venture to say they paid just as much, if not more for VHS and DVD rentals 15 years ago.

Once again, I don't think Netflix is the super-amazing deal it used to be, and yes, the price increase ticked me off. Still a good bargain for avid movie watchers in my opinion, though.

Am I missing something? Is there a better deal I could be taking advantage of?
Netflix adds about 10 stupid-as-fuck children's features, a bunch of TV shows I could give a shit about, and maybe a worthy movie....every 3 weeks. The last one I watched was Killer Elite and haven't added anything worthy since. I'm using the Oppo BDP-93 to play movies and I'm really not understanding why I don't have access to everything Netflix offers online.
Old 06-01-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

I have a box called DVDexpress that seems to put movies in before street date.I just rented Journey 2 mysterious Island.

Also picked up Chronicle which apparently has a delay to NF.

also this box has a sign in the front bragging about not having the delays that NF has.
Old 06-05-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

I wanted to rent John Carter this week but it is on Extremely Long Wait and you can't find it at Redbox either.

WTF?

Now Disney wants to screw us too?

Amid calls from some on Wall Street to choke off the supply of newly released DVDs to discount movie rental services, Walt Disney Co. has quietly decided to hike its wholesale prices on new-release DVDs for Redbox and Netflix, according to people familiar with the matter.

The move marks a subtle shift in Disney's relationship with Netflix and Redbox, one that stands in contrast with most of Hollywood's dealings with the two rental giants. Other studios have refused to supply DVDs to Netflix and Redbox until 28 days after they have been released out of concern that low-cost rentals will undercut DVD sales. Disney, on the other hand, all along has been supplying Netflix and Redbox with DVDs at the same time they become available for sale, albeit at a lower price.

Disney will now charge Redbox and Netflix the full wholesale rate — as much as $17.99 — for its DVDs, the people said. That's more than studios often charge their largest wholesale customers and less than big retailers like Wal-Mart charge consumers for popular new releases.

Disney believes that its family-friendly fare, particularly animated films, is the type that consumers want to own for repeated viewing and therefore probably isn't hurt by rentals, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

How the new policy with affect Disney remains to be seen. By increasing the prices Redbox and Netflix pay for new releases, Disney could either increase the revenue it generates from those companies or lead them to buy fewer copies and reduce their supply. That in turn could push frustrated consumers who want to rent toward other options such as cable and Internet video on demand.

The wholesale price Disney charges Netflix and Redbox for DVDs would drop to $10.79 after they have been for sale 28 days, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. That's the same length of time that 20th Century Fox, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. make Redbox and Netflix wait to offer their movies. Sony Pictures imposes the four-week delay on Netflix only for movies that gross more than $50 million at the domestic box office. Paramount Pictures offers its movies to Redbox and Netflix the same day they are released for sale.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...edbox-20110217

Old 06-05-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rented it from the DVDexpress kiosk in a local supermarket.
Old 06-05-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rented it from the DVDexpress kiosk in a local supermarket.
Do they have those in California and in the Bay Area?
Old 06-05-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.mydvdxpress.net/
Old 06-05-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Netflix adds about 10 stupid-as-fuck children's features, a bunch of TV shows I could give a shit about, and maybe a worthy movie....every 3 weeks. The last one I watched was Killer Elite and haven't added anything worthy since. I'm using the Oppo BDP-93 to play movies and I'm really not understanding why I don't have access to everything Netflix offers online.
Do you mean you can't stream everything Netflix offers on disc? That's an oft-discussed topic about the difference between pay services like itunes and Amazon video compared to free-streaming services like Netflix and Amazon prime.
Old 06-05-12, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I wanted to rent John Carter this week but it is on Extremely Long Wait and you can't find it at Redbox either.

WTF?

It's been going on for the last few months with Disney titles. Just barely got the Muppet Movie last week from Netflix. It also went to very long wait on release day. War Horse is another one. Still on very long wait.
Old 06-05-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I cancelled my disc subscription about 6 months ago, but have kept the streaming. I just got tired of the studio delays and extremely long waits on alot of newer titles.

Went back to renting from my local Mom and Pop store and they always carry the newest titles and always puts out stuff up to 2 weeks before street date.
Old 06-06-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No DVDexpress in my town and it would be quite a drive to find one nearby.

I just bought Muppets on Directv Cinema back in March since I could not wait.

Maybe Directv is the way to go and pay $5.99 for every movie. Yikes!
Old 06-07-12, 04:36 PM

No DVDexpress in my town and it would be quite a drive to find one nearby.

I just bought Muppets on Directv Cinema back in March since I could not wait.

Maybe Directv is the way to go and pay $5.99 for every movie. Yikes!
If you can wait a few more days, Redbox will have it next week. Just like they are now doing with Warner titles, they are buying retail copies of John Carter to stock the next week. Source: http://www.thewrap.com/media/article...ay-delay-43181
Old 06-11-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Has Netflix changed BR pricing? I believe it was $2/disc? I looked to add and it was $4 ontop of my 3 disc plan. However, I've been thinking about reducing my disc count.
Old 07-31-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody else experiencing a longer turnaround time for discs? I used to receive my discs on Tuesdays, mail them back on Wednesdays and get more discs on Fridays. Since the beginning of this month, I've been down to just one cycle a week. Instead of getting discs the day after they ship, it's been two days. Prior to this week, Netflix has received my discs the day after I return them.

I spoke to a Netflix CSR and he said that it seems to be a bizarre situation and that they would look into it. I mentioned rumors I'd heard regarding the USPS but he said they had no knowledge of that. At any rate, my billing date is the middle of August. If this can't be resolved somehow, I'm probably just going to give up.
Old 08-01-12, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the occasional time when a disc will take two days to be delivered but it's usually one day on average. I expected there to be a slowdown in service but haven't seen it yet.
Old 08-01-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've ALWAYS gotten discs the next day. That's why I'm so surprised by this.
Old 08-09-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So today netflix has added some kind of stupid autoplay for PC. Looks like they added it to xbox and PS3 but awhile back. Anyway how do you turnoff autoplay?
Old 08-09-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...edbox-20110217
That definitely explains the longgggggg wait for John Carter at netflix. I gave up and streamed it from amazon with a discount I had. If that is a taste of our disney future with netflix, it's going to suck.
Old 08-10-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Since the beginning of this month, I've been down to just one cycle a week. Instead of getting discs the day after they ship, it's been two days. Prior to this week, Netflix has received my discs the day after I return them.
Same here. I've only been getting one title a week for over a month now. I was debating cancelling my membership.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.