Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 05:50 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Warner Bros discs will now have a 56 day waiting period at Netflix.

Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster Wait Longer for New Movies

Want to watch a new movie just out on DVD from Warner Brothers? You’re going to have to buy it, or wait even longer to get it from Netflix or other disc renters.

A new deal between Time Warner’s movie studio and Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster will double the “window” for new releases. That means the services will now have to wait 56 days after the discs first go on sale to offer them to their customers, instead of 28 days.

The move is part of Hollywood’s ongoing campaign to bolster flagging DVD sales, and sources tell me the new deal is supposed to be announced at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Warner Brothers executives have already talked publicly about extending the current window.

This is the second time that Warner has been able to get the rental services to wait before distributing its movies.

In 2010, it struck deals with Netflix, and later Coinstar’s Redbox, to wait 28 days before renting its new discs. Coinstar and Netflix later landed similar pacts with most of the other big studios. (Coinstar did up end up in legal battles with Universal Studios and 20th Century Fox, which like this Web site is owned by News Corp.)

Two years ago, Netflix was able to argue that by delaying access to DVDs, it was able to get its hands on more streaming content, and lower prices for the discs it did buy. This time around, though, Warner won’t be granting any additional digital rights to the studios. It will simply be offering them the ability to buy discs in bulk, at a significant discount to retail pricing, like they already do.

Earlier today, news broke that HBO, another Time Warner unit, would stop selling its DVDs to Netflix altogether, but sources tell me the two moves aren’t directly related. Next week’s planned announcement is supposed to be tied to Warner Brothers’ continuing push for Ultraviolet, an industry consortium that’s supposed to allow home video buyers to watch their purchases on multiple machines, in multiple formats.

http://allthingsd.com/20120105/warne...D_yahoo_ticker
WTF? This is gonna suck. Netflix has become the bitch in the studio/retailer relationship.

Netflix was such a great service, but it's gonna turn to shit over the next couple years.
Old 01-05-12, 06:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's still not going to make me buy a new release right away.
Old 01-05-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
It's still not going to make me buy a new release right away.
I doubt this will change anything for most people. If I was already willing to wait 28 days, I'm not going to have a problem waiting 56. If anything, I'm more likely to simply forget about the movie altogether.
Old 01-05-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Holy shit. It's almost time to give up on Netflix and just start illegally downloading material.
Old 01-05-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I doubt this will change anything for most people. If I was already willing to wait 28 days, I'm not going to have a problem waiting 56. If anything, I'm more likely to simply forget about the movie altogether.
Me too.
Old 01-09-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

WTF? This is gonna suck. Netflix has become the bitch in the studio/retailer relationship.

Netflix was such a great service, but it's gonna turn to shit over the next couple years.
I blame Warner Bros. They have so much money and produce almost every movie and TV show and are rentals really going to kill DVD buying?

Why not just let a movie stay in the theater 2 extra months if they want to do this dumb 56 delay.

I hope you can still watch Warner Bros new releases on Directv Cinema the same day the DVD gets released.
Old 01-10-12, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It makes sense then that they'd have the most to lose with the decline of home media.
Old 01-10-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I hope Warner Brothers is giving them a shit load of Instant View catalogue product for this 56 day delay.

As many have mentioned here, most people who rent movies want new shit and not old stuff. If I don't watch a new release within the 1st 2-3 weeks of it being out, chances are I'll never rent it or wait until it hits a premium channel a few months later.
Old 01-10-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I hope Warner Brothers is giving them a shit load of Instant View catalogue product for this 56 day delay.

As many have mentioned here, most people who rent movies want new shit and not old stuff. If I don't watch a new release within the 1st 2-3 weeks of it being out, chances are I'll never rent it or wait until it hits a premium channel a few months later.
Yeah, if other studios continue to pull longer rental windows, I may just cancel Netflix altogether and wait for stuff to hit HBO/Showtime/Cinemax. Outside of TV shows, I never bother watching movies on there and this would save me $30 a month.
Old 01-10-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before in this forum and elsewhere: It's only a matter of time before WB starts their own streaming service. They have already tested the waters with their HBO stream and will soon begin what may be a slow withdrawal away from Netflix entirely.
Old 01-15-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm seriously debating on whether to continue the DVD service with Netflix.

I looked at my queue today and quite a few of the upcoming new releases I have in there are going to be delayed because of the restrictions with WB, FOX and Universal.

Tonight I just visited my local Mom and Pop video store and rented The Thing (2011), Real Steel and Paranormal Activity 3, which aren't officially out yet. As soon as my store gets them in stock, no matter how early it is, he will put them out, whether it's 2 weeks to 2 months. My local store will put out the FOX, WB and Universal titles as soon as they get them in stock.
Old 01-16-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm on the 3 dvd plan. This is the second week in a row that Netflix doesn't receive all 3 discs back at the same time. The way I've been cycling titles, I typically receive 3 discs on Tuesdays and Fridays. With the holidays just passing, I think I've gotten to do this once in the past 5 or 6 weeks. It's getting pretty frustrating.
Old 01-16-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Today is a holiday, no mail delivery. Could that be the reason this time?
Old 01-16-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Today is a holiday, no mail delivery. Could that be the reason this time?
I would have assumed that to be the case, but two of the three discs were checked in by them this morning.
Old 01-16-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Me too.
I'm the same. I think the DVD buying boom is over. WB is trying to cash in on this and thinks its still 1997. Most of my friends that I know have quit buying. Redbox for new releases and streaming for catalog is where its at. I used to go to Best Buy and Reel.com every Tuesday and buy 2-3 new releases but I haven't done that for years. I have enough unwatched movies now I can wait a couple months for them to be a 1.20 to rent.
Old 01-16-12, 10:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I'm the same. I think the DVD buying boom is over. WB is trying to cash in on this and thinks its still 1997. Most of my friends that I know have quit buying. Redbox for new releases and streaming for catalog is where its at. I used to go to Best Buy and Reel.com every Tuesday and buy 2-3 new releases but I haven't done that for years. I have enough unwatched movies now I can wait a couple months for them to be a 1.20 to rent.
I think it's more about trying to get customers to get it on demand from cable or streaming services like Amazon where the studio gets a cut.
Old 01-17-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

If the DVD Boom is over, Netflix needs to put a ton more titles on their available for streaming list. Same goes for everyone else. They all talk it...but their catalogs speak otherwise. And thus...my hardcopy collection.
Old 01-17-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

At this point I think all that talk about bowing to the whims of the suppliers to get better streaming rights was bunk. They were willing to separate entirely from the dvd part of the business, how much leverage did that side really have to get streaming rights?

That being said, I look at stuff like PSN videos and wonder who the heck pays those prices to rent or own stuff on their PS3?
Old 01-17-12, 08:32 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think WB will be giving them much in streaming. Their parent company is against it and wants to make HBO Go the place for it.
Old 01-25-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know if the version of Halloween 4 that Netflix carries is the Divimax edition with extras?
Old 02-19-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Personally, Id rather the studios simply went back to the days of rental pricing for six months. Oh wait - the studios shortened the window and dropped their prices because used sales "were hurting them."
Old 03-16-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Anyone use Netflix via their Oppo BDP-93/95 players? The selection is ridiculous, and seems to only give you maybe 5% of what the entire Netflix online site offers (which in itself is getting worse by the week).
Old 04-13-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a first for me:

Shipping update
Dear ______,

The Decalogue: Disc 1: Films I - III was not available from your local shipping center. Fortunately, it was available from a shipping center in another part of the country. It's on its way and should arrive within 3 to 5 days.

You'll notice we also recently sent the next available DVD from your Queue to enjoy while The Decalogue: Disc 1: Films I - III makes its way to you.

Your Queue now shows this extra DVD rental. Enjoy.

–The Netflix Team
Old 04-13-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Anyone use Netflix via their Oppo BDP-93/95 players? The selection is ridiculous, and seems to only give you maybe 5% of what the entire Netflix online site offers (which in itself is getting worse by the week).
I see the same on a PS3. Other than using the search feature, is there a way to display whats available? It's ridiculous that you can't scroll through all their stuff.
Old 04-13-12, 05:28 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil
This is a first for me:
I had that happen a couple weeks ago. Apparently the policy has been around since late-2008.

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/12/new-...g-process.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.