Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service center schedules

I noticed the slow down, but haven't figured out why. Now it all makes sense. There is a service center 15 miles from where I live (Rockville, MD), and my usually turn around time (between I throw the returned DVD in the mailbox to found the next one in the mail) was 4 days. This is significantly faster than the Blockbuster's 7-8 days. But I kept both accounts anyway. Later Blockbuster also set up a local service center, and the average turn around time is amazingly 3-4 days.

Sometime around September or October, Netfilx suddenly slowed down. The current average turn around time is about 7-8 days. I couldn't figure out the reason, so get online and did a Google. Although I didn't bother to track the service schedule of my local station, the above message pretty much explained it well.

Netflix, if you are listen, please don't do this. I would hate to move the whole 100 some queue to Blockbuster if I had to.
Old 11-13-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the last four months, my turnaround has slowed to 4-5 days each way. I send out Monday, they receive Thursday at the earliest. Then I get new movies Saturday if I'm lucky. This is not cost effective for me, and I will be dropping their service and trying Blockbuster at the end of this month. I've been a Netflix custome for about two years now, and they finally started throttling me after I spent a summer on the 5-out plan.

By the way, this week, they "received" my movies from me on Friday (I sent them out on Monday). How interesting...since Friday was a holiday.
Old 11-14-05, 10:58 AM

Netflix does not get the SE double dips...
Blockbuster online does.. or at least used to...
I've had Knight's tale, Transporter, Fly 1 & 2, tommy boy, & other SE's in my queue for weeks
if you do a search they don't even show up any more..
anyone knnow whats up???

so does anyone know of another online plase that gets the SE double dips???

thankz
Old 11-14-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine is recently starting to slowwwwww waywwwwww dowwwwwwnnn. I had 2 discs last week that took a week for them to process. A week! I hope this is a fluke and not the new Blockbuster out of the way Netflix service.
Old 11-14-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ds6161
Blockbuster online does.. or at least used to...
I've had Knight's tale, Transporter, Fly 1 & 2, tommy boy, & other SE's in my queue for weeks
if you do a search they don't even show up any more..
anyone knnow whats up???

so does anyone know of another online plase that gets the SE double dips???

thankz
You may want to check your queue again. I had some of the new SEs in my queue and they turned into the original release. I suspect that Blockbuster is no longer renting the newer SEs and only has them for sale on their site now.

Clueless - Whatever Edition automatically changed into the regular edition, fortunately I noticed and removed it from my queue before it shipped.
This happed with another one as well, but I can't remember which title it was though. It may have been Tommy Boy.
Old 11-14-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ds6161
Sometimes they do. They have the new 3 disc version of the Wizard of Oz, Clerks X, LOTR EE's, Toy Story 10th Anniversary, Predator SE, Thelma & Louise SE, Ben Hur CE, Pulp Fiction SE, etc, etc, etc.

The downside is that in a few of of these cases you can't specify which version of the feature you'll get. On the other hand, sometimes all they carry is the newer version. Bonus discs are no problem, though - you can ren the all the new ones.
Old 11-15-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how often do you get a cracked DVD?

I just got one the other day, and it's the fourth time this year that I've got a cracked DVD.

what does Netflix assume to be a reasonable number, and when will they start thinking that I'm the one cracking them?
Old 11-15-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalTea

I just got one the other day, and it's the fourth time this year that I've got a cracked DVD.

what does Netflix assume to be a reasonable number, and when will they start thinking that I'm the one cracking them?
I don't know if there is a certain number, but as long as it's only a small percentage of your rentals, I don't think they will suspect you of anything. I myself have gotten 3 cracked or broken discs this year, and had no problem. I think they are more concerned with people who have a multiple discs "disappear" during shipping.
Old 11-15-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I've only ever gotten one cracked disc but I might be forgetting one. Come to think of it, it's been awhile since I've gotten a disc with a damaged section (you know, where the picture breaks up & you have to skip past it). I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Old 11-24-05, 08:50 PM

I've noticed an incredible slow down. For the first 4+ months, the turnaround would be about 2-3 days from the time I mail. If I mailed sometime on Monday, I would have my dvd(s) on Wednesday. Over the last three weeks or so it is taking them about 5-7 days. I hope this is some kind of fluke and they get it straightened out soon.
Old 11-26-05, 03:21 AM
Cool New Member

more cracks definitely

Originally Posted by RoyalTea

I am getting more cracks and corrupt disks recently, which is basically the reason I cancelled Blockbuster, which I start to regret.

I didn't get a single one crack/corrupt disk in the first 2 years, but this year I got at least 4 of them in the last two months.
Old 11-28-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I've noticed an incredible slow down. For the first 4+ months, the turnaround would be about 2-3 days from the time I mail. If I mailed sometime on Monday, I would have my dvd(s) on Wednesday. Over the last three weeks or so it is taking them about 5-7 days. I hope this is some kind of fluke and they get it straightened out soon.
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems standard procedure for Netflix to intentionally slow down processing/shipping for heavy renters.

Another complaint: I rented Wyatt Earp, which spans 2 discs. Netflix mailed me two copies of disc 2. Instead of try to get them to rectify, I decided to just watch disc 2 and mail them both back. Now 3 weeks later I realize they have not mailed out my next rental because I have not returned the disc 1 that was never sent to me! So now I have reported the disc as "never received", but I lost probably 2 or 3 rentals because of their mistake. Their service is really going downhill when I already thought it couldn't get much worse.
Old 11-28-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All five of the new release discs for this week were not selected for shipment and I have about 5-6 "very long waits" right after that.

Even though the service is steadily getting worse for nearly everybody, they're still better than just about anything else out there in terms of turnaround and selection.
Old 11-28-05, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Are you making sure that the barcode on the inside sleeve appears in the window on the back of the return envelope?

This seems to be a new development--I don't recall the barcode window being there a few months back--and if it works the same way Gamefly does, then when that barcode is scanned at the post office, Netflix sends you your next disc before they actually receive the return at their hub.

The last time I returned discs--last Monday--I made certain that the barcodes were visible. The next two discs arrived on Wednesday, two days later.
Old 11-28-05, 10:51 PM

Yep. I've noticed this too. I've been doing the same thing and my turn around rate has been extremely well. One to two days.
Old 11-28-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ron G
Are you making sure that the barcode on the inside sleeve appears in the window on the back of the return envelope?

This seems to be a new development--I don't recall the barcode window being there a few months back--and if it works the same way Gamefly does, then when that barcode is scanned at the post office, Netflix sends you your next disc before they actually receive the return at their hub.

The last time I returned discs--last Monday--I made certain that the barcodes were visible. The next two discs arrived on Wednesday, two days later.
I'm skeptical. I thought that barcode was only for Netflix use. I don't think the PO does anything with it. I do make sure it shows, but I never noticed it to speed up shipping at all.
Old 11-29-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't send my discs back with the barcode facing the window. They are all checked in by the next morning anyway - even those that say "Nearest Netflix Distribution Center" and have an address across the country from me. (The theory there is that the P.O.'s automation reads the codes on the envelope and actually does send them to the nearest dist. center, the address being only for backup.)

If only Netflix would send me a new disc the same day they check one in.
Old 11-30-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess my Post Office doesn't have any automated system because the ones that have a distant address take about the same time to get back as they did to get to me.

The ones I send that are addressed to the local center get there the next morning without fail, though.

Clearly there's some sort of scanning mechanism that works for some customers some of the time. I can't imagine a human Post Office employee would reroute mail to an alternate address simply because it said "Nearest" Netflix Facility on the envelope (although I got mail in my mailbox in Texas that was sent from Minnesota and addressed to someone else in Minnesota the other day. So who knows what goes on at the Post Office).
Old 11-30-05, 01:25 PM
Cool New Member

it's just getting slower and slower, unbelievably slow. Even the odd day work shift can't explain. We should start a Google bomb complain that direct any inquiry of the word 'slow' to Netflix's official website. Maybe only when will they know.
Old 11-30-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDan
I guess my Post Office doesn't have any automated system because the ones that have a distant address take about the same time to get back as they did to get to me.
I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. My PO is fast and seems to be a pretty major hub. I guess not all PO's are equal - that must be another reason why they still have to print an address in addition to the codes. I guess I'm spoiled by my PO; others' milage seems to vary.
Old 12-03-05, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Well, I only have the one experience so far to attest to this. Before this last set of returns, I hadn't really paid any attention to whether the bar code was out or not. It wasn't until I learned how GameFly uses the barcode that I thought perhaps Netflix was using the same system.

And while it's possible I sent earlier returns back with the barcode visible through the window, it's more likely that I didn't. I usually put the inner envelope in face up and upright, and I had to put the inner envelope in backwards (or at least what seems backwards to me) to get the barcode to show.

But I've never gotten my next set of discs as quickly as I did this time around, not since we lived near one of the hubs in Salem, OR.
Old 12-05-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was curious about the barcode window as well, because when I ship mine back I never have the barcode visible, I put the sleeve in that when you open the envelope it is facing you rightside up. I dont think it has any effect, but you never know.
Old 12-06-05, 08:13 AM

This is not about Netflix's speed, but in case anyone knows I have questions about 3 specific rentals:

1. Is A Bug's Life which shows anamorphic widescreen the Collector's Edition and not the old non-anamorphic edition? (The picture does not match, but Netflix does have disc 2 of the Collector's Edition.)

2. Is The Thing which shows anamorphic widescreen the Collector's Edition and not the old non-anamorphic edition? (The picture is correct.)

3. Did anyone who rented A Christmas Story 20th Anniversary Edition really get the 20th Anniversary Edition? (The picture is correct, but when we tried we got the old full screen edition.)
Old 12-09-05, 12:08 PM

Okay, so I had netflix for about a year and was managing nearly 6 movies a week. It was awesome. So when my service dropped off to a terrible pace (3 a week now) I knew something was up.

Sure enough, I got 'throttled down' as it appears many of you have.

So what can I do to fix this? Because seriously, if it doesnt go back to the way it was I will just end my relationship with netflix. I am not that addicted to watching movies that I would in to way purchase or go see in the theaters.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-05, 12:12 PM

I know mail slows down for the holidays, but my turnaround in the last few weeks is just pathethic. I got just one disc in this whole week. That's not cost effective for me. I hope this is a fluke and it turns around soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.