Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Canada and DeepDiscountDVDS

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CANADIANS......

anybody from Canada order from DDD? Hows the exchange rate and are the dvds still cheaper ordering from here?
Old 11-13-04, 04:04 PM

I have and they are fine. The exchange rate is really good right now for Canadians.
Old 11-13-04, 04:07 PM

So with the 20% sale going on and the exchange rate roughly being 1.20 CDN=1.00 USD.....

is the price for a dvd roughly the price of the dvd listed at ddd? (non-discount)
Old 11-13-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got NAILED by customs when I ordered from DDD before, and I mean NAILED. Initially, it might be a bit cheaper, but after adding 15% tax onto the Canadian equivalent, plus $5 handling, it generally does not work out in your favor, unless you order a ton of stuff.
Old 11-13-04, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by movieking
I got NAILED by customs when I ordered from DDD before, and I mean NAILED. Initially, it might be a bit cheaper, but after adding 15% tax onto the Canadian equivalent, plus $5 handling, it generally does not work out in your favor, unless you order a ton of stuff.
Any good places to order from in Canada?
amazon.ca?
Old 11-13-04, 04:24 PM
MSD

I've got hit by customs last last 20% off sale but even so it was alot cheaper to order from them than anywhere else. With the exchange rate being so good i'm going to order a hell of alot of stuff.
Old 11-13-04, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by MSD
I've got hit by customs last last 20% off sale but even so it was alot cheaper to order from them than anywhere else. With the exchange rate being so good i'm going to order a hell of alot of stuff.
Do you think you can post your order price and what you ordered in cdn dollars (roughly)?
Old 11-13-04, 04:40 PM

I get hit by customs on probably 1 out of every 6 orders with DDD but YMMV. On the last sale my order was broken into 3 shippings due to no stock, thankfully the huge order made it thru, but one of the backorders was charged customs plus the handling "fee". The exchange rate being so good now though makes it a pretty sweet deal regardless especially if you order is big.
Old 11-13-04, 04:58 PM

I ordered:

Three's Company Season 3: $23.99 Cad (Great Deal. Futureshop price is $34.99 Cad)
Smiles of a Summer Night Criterion: $21.56 Cad

The Following I will be odering Tuesday:

Short Cuts Criterion: $28.76 Cad
Fanny & Alexander 5 Disc Criterion: $43.16 Cad

I will probably order more before the cut off date.

I am lucky as I live directly on the border and have shipments go to my US PO Box with free shipping. I pay the 15% to bring them over but no handling fee. The exchange rate they use at the customs office is always lower than the bank rate.

As the other poster stated: the exchange rate and the coupon are about the same so you will pay the price shown before the coupon in Canadian. DDD doesn't convert currency, your credit card does that.
Old 11-13-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by H.E Pennypacker
I get hit by customs on probably 1 out of every 6 orders with DDD but YMMV. On the last sale my order was broken into 3 shippings due to no stock, thankfully the huge order made it thru, but one of the backorders was charged customs plus the handling "fee". The exchange rate being so good now though makes it a pretty sweet deal regardless especially if you order is big.
So customs just charges randomly?
Old 11-13-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I am lucky as I live directly on the border and have shipments go to my US PO Box with free shipping. I pay the 15% to bring them over but no handling fee. The exchange rate they use at the customs office is always lower than the bank rate.
I do this to, but never have to pay duty when I bring them over the border myself. I work in the US, so if I placed a big order, I keep them there and bring them back home one or two at a time. Customs have never charged me duty or anything when I only have such a small amount. Believe me, with all the stuff I ordered from other countries, that US mail box has more than paid for itself.
Old 11-13-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chowchris13
So customs just charges randomly?
There really is a lot of randomness to it, especially with small packages. Customs can't check everything, they just don't have the manpower for it, so they try to look for stuff that looks suspicious, or could involve a lot of duty. If you only ordered one or two discs at a time, there's a good chance that you could luck out (but not guaranteed)
Old 11-13-04, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
I do this to, but never have to pay duty when I bring them over the border myself. I work in the US, so if I placed a big order, I keep them there and bring them back home one or two at a time. Customs have never charged me duty or anything when I only have such a small amount. Believe me, with all the stuff I ordered from other countries, that US mail box has more than paid for itself.
This is true. Depends on the $ amount.
Old 11-13-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

customs sucks.. they charged me when i shipped my g/f's clothes back to canada cause the airport broke her suitcase...
Old 11-13-04, 08:56 PM

There really is a lot of randomness to it, especially with small packages. Customs can't check everything, they just don't have the manpower for it, so they try to look for stuff that looks suspicious, or could involve a lot of duty. If you only ordered one or two discs at a time, there's a good chance that you could luck out (but not guaranteed)
So better do to 2 smaller orders then one large one?
Old 11-13-04, 09:28 PM

One more question....is the custom charge exactly 15%?

Thanks
Old 11-13-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

doesnt it depend on where in canada you are? most of em have pst and gst but that one place that only has one of em.. was it alberta...
Old 11-13-04, 10:13 PM

One more question....is the custom charge exactly 15%?

Thanks
It depends on what province you live in. If you live in NB, NS, or NFLD you have to pay 15% HST.

British Columbia, Saskatchewan Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec have to pay GST and PST.

Others you just pay 7% GST.
Old 11-14-04, 11:19 AM

I am going to save $15 (over Future Shop price) on MGM's "That's Entertainment" boxed set.

Only one problem: there are so many people trying to order stuff that I cannot place my order today (Sunday).

FS doesn't have this item in stock.
Old 11-14-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So better do to 2 smaller orders then one large one?
Yes. Smaller packages have a better chance of "sneaking" through than larger packages. (but nothing is 100% fool proof, so you still might get dinged)

The amount you have to pay is GST+PST (if applicable)+5.00 handling/brokerage fee. You may or may not have to pay actual duty as well, depending on how the particular person inspecting your package classifies the item. Different harmonized tariff numbers have different duty rates (or none at all).
Old 11-14-04, 05:28 PM

Yes. Smaller packages have a better chance of "sneaking" through than larger packages. (but nothing is 100% fool proof, so you still might get dinged)

The amount you have to pay is GST+PST (if applicable)+5.00 handling/brokerage fee. You may or may not have to pay actual duty as well, depending on how the particular person inspecting your package classifies the item. Different harmonized tariff numbers have different duty rates (or none at all).
Is the 5.00 handling/brokerage fee the shipping fee that DDD charges? or is that another 5.00 on top of the $4.95 shipping fee
Old 11-14-04, 06:09 PM

Is the 5.00 handling/brokerage fee the shipping fee that DDD charges? or is that another 5.00 on top of the $4.95 shipping fee
The $5.00 handling fee is charged by Canada Customs and is only applicable if your parcel is flagged for payment of duties/taxes. There is no duty on dvds.
Old 11-14-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I don't understand all this complaining about customs. Unless you're ordering items one at a time, the $5 flat fee + provincial and federal taxes are well worth it considering the savings. Realize that you'd pay tax on DVDs regardless of which side of the border they originate.

The exchange rate right now is heavily in our favour with the strong dollar.
The only problem I have had was a major one with my last order. It was shipped and never arrived. It was shipped again and never arrived. Eventually DDD just refunded my money, but it makes me leery of possible theft issues at the USPS (I called customs; the parcel never crossed the border, so it can't be Canada Post).
Old 11-15-04, 03:27 AM

How do u cancel orders at DDD....I accidently placed three of the exact same orders and need to cancel two of them....

Thanks
Old 11-15-04, 09:07 AM

How do u cancel orders at DDD....I accidently placed three of the exact same orders and need to cancel two of them....

Thanks
Good luck! The same thing happened to me last sale. They will tell you it is too late and to refuse one of the shipments. They will then ship everything in the same box! Their customer service is very lacking and it is based overseas somewhere.

Try emailing them though: [email protected]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.