Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

half.com risks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
half.com risks?

I just recently starting selling items on half.com this week.....most of them were grabbed up within an hour of me posting them.

i have a couple orders with people who have suspicious feedback...what kind of protection does the seller have if they send with delivery confirmation?...if they do a chargeback will I end up out of the item and out of the money as well?....

I got burned with paypal a while ago, and don't want to get burned this way again
Old 10-26-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The beauty of Half for the seller is that you don't have to worry about buyer's with crappy feedback. Once a buyer purchases something from you, Half will immediately charge that person's credit card. You ship out the item as promised. Then Half pays you on a monthly basis. You don't have to worry about getting money from the buyer at all, Half does. They are like a money "buffer".
Old 10-26-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so if the buyer does a fraudulent chargeback....half won't take the money back out of my account?
Old 10-26-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why did you confirm the order if the buyer had suspicious feedback? Half.com does give you the choice to cancel an order.
Old 10-26-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the narrator
so if the buyer does a fraudulent chargeback....half won't take the money back out of my account?
I cannot find anything in their help section on this. But: If there is a chargeback, it's between Half and the buyer, not you and the buyer. I've sold plenty of items on Half and have never had a single problem getting paid. eBay is quite the different story. That's why I only sell on Half now.
Old 10-26-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't confirmed the order...I posted here to see if i should confirm it or not
Old 10-26-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by the narrator
I haven't confirmed the order...I posted here to see if i should confirm it or not
If the suspicious feedback is a high number of negatives from other sellers I wouldn't confirm the order. Even if you use delivery confirmation it is not enough proof to verify the package was ever delivered to the correct address, or was received by the buyer. If the buyer complains to Half.com the item was never received they may give them their money back and debit your account. If you do confirm then you might want to consider purchasing insurance if it is something of considerable value. But if you decide to cancel the order it would be wise to claim the item got damaged, or you no longer have it to minimize the risk of the buyer leaving you negative feedback. And also don't relist it until they can longer leave feedback on the transaction.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 10-26-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
If the buyer complains to Half.com the item was never received they may give them their money back and debit your account. If you do confirm then you might want to consider purchasing insurance if it is something of considerable value.
Agree. Half always sides with the buyer.
However, it has been reported that USPS delivery confirmation is adequate proof to satisify half that the item was delivered. I cannot personally confirm that. Maybe you should send them a direct question.
Old 10-27-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The only thing risky about selling on Half.com is that if a buyer claims they never received the item or it's damaged you'll lose every time.

Delivery confirmation is useless because it doesn't say who received the item. You'll still lose.