Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problem w/ Blockbuster Trade-In 3 or More Get $5 Extra Each

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't really see this mentioned in any of the Blockbuster trade-in threads, but in addition to the $8 per DVD trade-in there is an offer of $5 extra per game when 3 or more are traded in (all of this only applies to participating Blockbusters of course). Well my point in starting this thread was both to seek advice and to warn any other potential traders.

At my local Blockbuster (Prospect Rd. San Jose, CA.) I was told that the current game trade-in is outdated (i.e. no longer being offered). Well this was certainly news to me as I had a postcard in-hand from this specific Blockbuster stating the terms of the trade-in and an expiration date on the deal of 11/8. Basically, I went in to trade some games, specifically 6 PS2 games, and when the total appeared a little low I inquired about the $5 extra per game. At this point I was told by the manager on duty that the offer I had in-hand was no longer valid. I asked him for written proof, and he said he had it but could not supply it at the time. He refused to void the transaction and return my games, eventhough I had not signed the receipt. He claimed that the original trade-in statement I signed meant that my signing the reciept had nothing to do with the trade being completed, rather that as soon as Blockbuster accepted the games the trade was complete. He did offer me $5 for each set of 3 games, but this is not the deal -- it's $5 per game. He would not budge, but I did get him to sign a paper stating that I had proof of the deal, that he could not provide proof of his claims regarding the deal's expiration, and finally that the extra $5 per game is still in dispute. I signed the receipt and I am going in tomorrow to speak with the store manager.

Even if I do get the store manager to give me what I am due, this issue bothers me because of all the other customers trading games and unknowingly being stiffed on this deal. Isn't what they are doing illegal? As a customer, you are under the impression that you are getting this deal (the $5 extra per game) and if you don't inquire you will probably assume you got it. There is no sign posted noting the end of this deal nor is anyone warned during the trade-in process that btw this deal is dead. They wait until they have processed it, and if you happen to say something, they reply with a warm "screw you - they're my games now." What do I do at this point if the store manager is unwilling to budge? And what about other potential customers?

Last edited by mijang; 10-23-04 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-23-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y o u
m a y
w a n t
t o
s p a c e
t h a t
o u t.

I have found that when I worked at blockbuster, I would dispute a claim for only so long before it became easier for me to just make the customer happy and screw the blockbuster system.

So complain as much as you can and I'm sure you can get it your way. Then again, if you do not have the games anymore, It's a lost cause.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-23-04 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-23-04, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Y o u
m a y
w a n t
t o
s p a c e
t h a t
o u t.
Is that a little better - it is very legnthy isn't it?
Old 10-23-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
In the end you are at their mercy. Considering it is a new system they are working in, I'm sure there is plenty of loop holes they have to their advantage. I would complain about it, but don't trade in your games unless you realize that you aren't going to get anywhere near market value for them.
Old 10-23-04, 04:12 AM

Thought this might help.

Old 10-23-04, 09:36 AM

Same thing happened to me but they said "THE GAMES MUST BE ON THE LIST" Im like it says ANY GAME, they like it has to be on the list (on the flyer)

But how can it be on the list if you can get $3.00 per PS1 game when their is no PS1 games listed

they dumb, i got screwed $20 (traded 4 games) and they wouldnt let me void the transaction either because i signed the receipt (I thought it was included the $5, because I traded so much stuff, I didnt notice until i got into car)

always check your receipts I guess
Old 10-23-04, 10:29 AM

The deal is still valid. If the store manager is no help then be polite, make sure to get the name of the associate who "helped" you before, the store managers name, and kindly ask for the district leader's phone number.

Call the DL and explain what happened, and I assure you that you will receive the full trade value for your games.
Old 10-23-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I work at a Blockbuster that just started this and we're still giving it out. I thought that some places started before we did (we started on October 5th) so I don't know. All the other Blockbusters around my house are still advertising it.
Old 10-24-04, 02:47 AM

Update: Spoke with the store manager this afternoon and he gladly gave me the credit I was due. When I asked why the previous manager had vehemently refused, he claimed that policy changes come down from corporate on these deals daily since they are basically a test market. It still is not right for them to be changing the terms on the fly without warning customers in advance. I guess the bottom line is to keep an eye out with these trade-ins and be sure they are giving you the correct amount.
Old 10-24-04, 10:18 AM

He was also giving you the run around about not signing the receipt, if we don't have a signed receipt for every trade on file that is ground for a write up and possible termination. He should have also givin you a printed quote before finalizing the deal, and if you weren't happy with the price they can cancel the transaction and give you the games back.
Old 10-24-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got $5 extra for my games, but that was a few weeks ago. The system automatically does it. ALSO, if the games are OLD and the trade in value is LESS THAN $5, then they usually don't add the extra $5 to it.

They do whatever they want.....crazy BB
Old 10-24-04, 01:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
I got $5 extra for my games, but that was a few weeks ago. The system automatically does it. ALSO, if the games are OLD and the trade in value is LESS THAN $5, then they usually don't add the extra $5 to it.

They do whatever they want.....crazy BB
That's not true. It does not do it automatically in the system the employee has to adjust the price, there's an option to do so.

And it doesn't matter how much the games are worth you still get the $5. Someone just did it yesterday and we gave them the extra $5 for games that came out to $1.50
Old 10-24-04, 02:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
why are these(type threads) getting posted in this forum when they clearly do not discuss actual DVD's or anything of the like!!
Old 10-24-04, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't trust B.B. period and don't bother with any of their 'deals'
Old 10-24-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mijang
Thought this might help.

Fixed.
Old 10-24-04, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This belongs in either the store or bargain forum... I'm trying the former first but wouldn't be surprised if it got moved from there
Old 10-25-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you signed before they looked at your games? I had BB price my games and was not satisfied with one and they took it off the trade list for me. I sold a bunch of games for $1.50 + $5.00. They were crap games. This was on 10/22.
Old 10-25-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a question. Is this deal good for ANY DVD for $8 credit? So If I got to Walmart and get 3 $1 DVDs, BB will give me $24 for them?
Old 10-26-04, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
So you signed before they looked at your games? I had BB price my games and was not satisfied with one and they took it off the trade list for me. I sold a bunch of games for $1.50 + $5.00. They were crap games. This was on 10/22.
The only thing I had signed was the original trade agreement a few days earlier when I was taking advantage of the $8 per DVD offer. The original trade agreement basically states that the items you are trading are not stolen, etc. (it's a form where you get a copy and Blockbuster keeps a copy on file).

I was not told the price of any of the games as they were rung up, and I was not given any option to remove any particular game. I was told that the total credit comes to $xx.xx and at this point I inquired if the $5 extra per game was included in the total. The $5 extra was not included. I asked for it to be added, the on duty manager said, "No." I asked to void the transaction, he said, "No." Keep in mind I had not signed the receipt or accepted the giftcard at this point. In the end he wouldn't let me leave the store with my games and he refused to add the $5 extra per game to my total.

When I spoke with the store manager the next day, I was credited the correct amount.
Old 10-26-04, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by resinrats
Just a question. Is this deal good for ANY DVD for $8 credit? So If I got to Walmart and get 3 $1 DVDs, BB will give me $24 for them?
The DVD has to be in their system, and the system has to be accepting trade-ins on the title. From other threads I've gathered that a lot of the very "cheap" DVD's are not being accepted. My first-hand experience is that some titles for no apparent reason are not accepted by their system. For instance, I traded-in about 50 Dragon Ball Z titles and all of them were listed in the system, but four of them were not being accepted for trade-in.
Old 10-26-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

mijang, unreal story. I've never heard of such a stupid thing of being forced to accept what they offer you. Did the manager find your story weird or was he begrudgingly giving you the credit?
Old 10-27-04, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
mijang, unreal story. I've never heard of such a stupid thing of being forced to accept what they offer you. Did the manager find your story weird or was he begrudgingly giving you the credit?
The store manager very willingly offered to give me the credit I was due. I assume he had been briefed by the manager from the previous night that I would be coming in because as soon as I opened my mouth on the subject he jumped to the conclusion that I was there because I had not received the $5 extra. My only gripe with the store manager was that he offered me no apology on behalf of the night manager or for all of the hassle I went through. In the end I got the credit they owed me, but I hate that I had to jump through hoops to get it.

On a side note, I am now waiting for a response from the store manager on my request to have my store credit on a giftcard rather than a "value card." A giftcard can be used on the Blockbuster website while a "value card" cannot. The reason being that the website only accepts giftcards beginning with 6016 or higher and a "value card" begins with 6015. Has anyone else run into this "value card" vs. giftcard issue?
Old 10-27-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The store manager very willingly offered to give me the credit I was due. I assume he had been briefed by the manager from the previous night that I would be coming in because as soon as I opened my mouth on the subject he jumped to the conclusion that I was there because I had not received the $5 extra. My only gripe with the store manager was that he offered me no apology on behalf of the night manager or for all of the hassle I went through. In the end I got the credit they owed me, but I hate that I had to jump through hoops to get it.

On a side note, I am now waiting for a response from the store manager on my request to have my store credit on a giftcard rather than a "value card." A giftcard can be used on the Blockbuster website while a "value card" cannot. The reason being that the website only accepts giftcards beginning with 6016 or higher and a "value card" begins with 6015. Has anyone else run into this "value card" vs. giftcard issue?
Yes, its been brought up a few times in the Bargains forum threads, as there two very lengthy threads about the trade in deal. People have put the credit to their accounts instead of a value card, and then were able to purchase regular gift cards with the credit on their account. A few blockbusters have also been willing to transfer them from value cards to regular gift cards, although from the looks of it most decline you the option.
Old 10-27-04, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Yes, its been brought up a few times in the Bargains forum threads, as there two very lengthy threads about the trade in deal. People have put the credit to their accounts instead of a value card, and then were able to purchase regular gift cards with the credit on their account. A few blockbusters have also been willing to transfer them from value cards to regular gift cards, although from the looks of it most decline you the option.
Well I was told by one store manager that I could do a balance transfer from the value card to my account. Is it definite then that I would be able to use my account's credit balance to purchase gift cards?

I just checked one of the other Blockbuster threads and it looks like some people have had luck buying gift cards with their value cards since the terms of the value card do not prohibit you from buying a gift card. Very confusing...

Last edited by mijang; 10-27-04 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I was told by one store manager that I could do a balance transfer from the value card to my account. Is it definite then that I would be able to use my account's credit balance to purchase gift cards?

I just checked one of the other Blockbuster threads and it looks like some people have had luck buying gift cards with their value cards since the terms of the value card do not prohibit you from buying a gift card. Very confusing...
Problem with Blockbusters is that they don't appear to have a very strict corporate policy, and individual store managers will set pretty much whatever rules they feel are appropriate. You'll probably have to go down or call your particular store and ask.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.