Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

Old 10-20-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

Originally posted by gkleinman
They post here to help communicate with you, their customers so that you can know from the horses mouth what the heck is going on.
I've been silent on this issue so far.

I first noticed the problem on DDD's website at about 10PM PST on Friday 10/8/2004.

I immediately sent them the following email:
I just logged on to check the status of an order... (It's order number XXXXXXX, by the way... and I am still interested in knowing the status of it).

When I went to check my order status, someone else account came up!!!!!

Then someone else's... Then someone else's... Then someone else's.

Not only was I looking at other people's order status, I was looking at other people's account information, including their password hints, etc..

You have an extreme security breech, and you need to take down your site right away, and don't bring it up until you are sure that this has been fixed.

I have screenshots of all the accounts I inadvertantly came across.

If you check my order history (under the email address [email protected]), you will see that I have been a very faithful customer.

Needless to say, my confidence in your company has been shaken to the core.

Thank you for your prompt response to this matter,
At 3:17AM that morning, I received the following reply:
Thank you for contacting DeepDiscountDVD.com!

Your package was SHIPPED on 9/27/04 to

My Address

You should be receiving your package between 10/04-10/11 There have been instances where customers have experienced longer delivery times. Please allow additional days for delivery.

Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscountDVD.com. We appreciate your business.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
[email protected]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner at Infinity Resources, and is believed to be clean.
Notice... Not one word of response to the security issue.

When I woke up that morning I saw that they changed their HOME page with a down error message, but all the other pages were still up, spewing other people's account information.

I immediately called customer service, informed them of the problem, and told them that they needed to have someone walk to the server and unplug it from the wall RIGHT AWAY. I was told that the imformation would be forwarded to their techs.

I have not heard a single word in reply from them concerning this issue.

You applaud DDD for posting your to communicate to me, their customer, so that I could hear from the horses mouth what the heck is going on.

If that was their intention, why did they not communicate to me, their customer, directly concerning this problem, instead of just ASSUMING that I happen to be a person who would know about this board, and seek the information from a third party source?

No, I think that the communications made here were nothing more then an excersise in public relations and damage control. They saw a source of bad press, and they sought to minimize the damage.
Old 10-20-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen

Your profile still looks like a shill more or less, btw: registered right after this issue came up, post almost exclusively on this topic ....

It seems to me more like you are just trying to keep things inflamed. I thought maybe you worked for this company NetResults, which may be a competitor of the people setting up the website for DDD. I don't know if this is against the rules, but if it is kind of dishonest to not mention that fact.

You have raised some legitimate points, but to me, you just come across more as someone with an agenda rather than the interested bystander you are presenting yourself as.
The same thoughts crossed my mind (though I might not have expressed them as successfully as you did), and the user name "netresults" itself implies an agenda.

I would definitely give more weight to the comments (both supportive and critical of Deep Discount) to those members who have been around since before this problem surfaced, rather than to someone who seems to have registered after the fact simply to attack.
Old 10-20-04, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by X
NetResults,

I'm curious as to the source/meaning of your username. Can you clue me in?
Hi X. Nothing of any real consequence or meaning to the name. I was a member on this site back sometime ago, when the DVD Ecommerce sites were in their beginning stages. Back then, I just put together a name to use that I could remember, and that just seemed to fit the times, Net plus the hoped for working results. I see that you are technically proficient, and I assume that is what prompted your question.

For all those who are tossing around words like shill and so on. What the hell am I suppose to be shilling for. I have not been active on this site for sometime because all the major issues of the pioneering days, coupons everywhere, short term specials, birth pang issues with sites, some of the sites that were low priced going out of business, Columbia House transactions recommendations were all just emerging, and I was actively posting back then, because I, like everyone else was just starting my DVD library, and all aspects of the new way of purchasing, online that is, was something I wanted to get up to speed on, and take advantage of.

After some time passed all of the major things that were first up for grabs, reliable sites, best bargins, coupons settled in to a stable pattern, and having run it's course, I had very little much to contribute. I had changed ISP and Email, and never got around to re-registering. All the major topics were settled and I just looked in occassionaly to stay up on the Columbia Codes etc.
Then this DDD thing hit. Check my first post, I came on to thank those who had alerted us, and to make a modest suggestion about how people should watch their card accounts daily for suspicious activity, until they knew for sure what the damage was. From then on, I added some observations, other commented, took issue with, disagreed with, urged me to stop, etc, and I posted responses and observations in kind. I am astonished at the number of people who are suspicious of my motivation, when I have stated it clearly several times, I have purchased a lot from DDD, and was shocked that after all the major concerns that people used to have about Ecommerce security issues seemed to have been put to rest by the industry in general, DDD pulls this first generation software screw up, and seem to be doing a miserable job of rectifing a public relations fiasco. If any of you want to know more about who I am, reveal full details about yourself first, and I will respond in kind.

A few final thoughts: the reason why some of us prefer vendor email confirmations of orders or cancellation requests, is that then we have a record. A phone transaction with someone at some call center, who knows where, leaves one with no documetation in case they do not handle it properly. You know the old saying about an Oral Contract not been worth the paper it is not written on.

Everybody that is getting all queasy about my words having the power to bring down a vendor, calm down, take a sedative, and reflect on what the free flow of ideas is for. If you want to use DDD, who is going to stop you. If I want to urge them to do better, why are you worried about that!

As to why I was silent for sometime on this site: perhaps this will help you understand.

A couple had a son who was healthy in every way up to the age of six, with one exception, he had never spoken a single word. They had taking him to several experts, who examined him and said that they were baffled because they could find nothing that should prevent him from talking. One night a dinner, they served him cabbage, for the first time. The six year old spit it out and immediatly shouted: "This stuff tastes like shit". The parents were astonished an cried out, Timmy you can talk, why haven't you said something before. Timmy replied, well up until now every thing has been fine.

NetResults

Last edited by netresults; 10-20-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by netresults
OK. Let us give them a chance to make things right. Surely no one thought that they did it out of malice, but just unintentional malpractice.

How do they regain the level of customer trust they had before this fiasco?. Well, the ball is in their court. DDD will have to play error free ball for the a long time to come, before I will be ready to return. It wasn't the customers who caused the mess, in fact it was the customers who discovered the mess, and it was ethical customers who alerted others to the danger. All alerts which should have come from the vendor first.

DDD will have to revamp the whole customer interface system, with multi layered firewalling, and heavy encryption tools to make a customer's data only accessable to the customer, and the DDD transaction processing staff. Software migration projects will have to be done with the site shutdown, with prior notification of said shutdowns, to their customer base. They have email tools. Why are they not used to proactively alert and inform. They will have to become far better at addressing the communications needs of their customers. It is up to them to prove that they have taking to heart the lessons from this failure, and have put all the right tools and procedures in place to earn back my business. Fool me once, shame on you...well you know the rest of it.

NetResults

Would someone trying to destroy them have written this?.

NetResults
Old 10-20-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would someone trying to destroy them have written this?.

NetResults
Well, actually ... possibly.

Given the flow of postings, this one comes across a little like .."Yeah I like your gurlfriend ... if she'd only lose 300 pounds and shave the moustache she'd be perfect..."
Old 10-20-04, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by marty888
Well, actually ... possibly.

Given the flow of postings, this one comes across a little like .."Yeah I like your gurlfriend ... if she'd only lose 300 pounds and shave the moustache she'd be perfect..."
Good one Marty. I am happy for you, that you are comfortable with your 300 pound, hirsute girlfriend. I wonder if you are trying to harm DDD by comparing them to her. Very suspicious about the true meaning of your name. 888! Could it be a toll free number connection, to who knows where. Just having a bit of fun, giving you a bit of paranoia blowback.

NetResults:
Old 10-20-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would someone trying to destroy them have written this?
"Destroy"? I don't think anyone used that term. Interesting that you would deny an accusation that no one made.

Anyway, this was really just about whether you had an agenda to badmouth DDD, not "destroy" it. If it's pure coincidence that your username is also the name of a competitor to DDD's web developer, that's fine. But you have to admit, coupled with your very recent (re)appearance on the site, it's not an unreasonable question.
Old 10-20-04, 11:23 AM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I was a member on this site back sometime ago, when the DVD Ecommerce sites were in their beginning stages. Back then, I just put together a name to use that I could remember, and that just seemed to fit the times
You may not be familiar with our rule of only allowing one username per member but it's there. The proper way to get a new username is to request a name change, not open a new account.

You need to let me know your old username so we can clear this up. If you had done this the proper way you wouldn't have been subject to all the speculation about your motives.
Old 10-20-04, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by X
You may not be familiar with our rule of only allowing one username per member but it's there. The proper way to get a new username is to request a name change, not open a new account.

You need to let me know your old username so we can clear this up. If you had done this the proper way you wouldn't have been subject to all the speculation about your motives.
Same user name as now. NetResults. Just a new ISP email address. Sorry for the mix up. I disagree with your statement: that I would not have been challenged. Other were who had a long time standing with thousands of posts. Shooting the messanger is often fashionable. Which of my recommendations, if implemented by DDD, would hurt them, or which would make them a more viable vendor to compete with those who already have such QA tools and procedures in place. Contest my ideas based on their faulty logic folks, not on how many preceeded them. How dare that crowd of suspicious characters in Philadelphia come out with such a proclamation, without having been first vetted with a few thousand remarks on turnips(X-games) etc. On second thought, since I have got you all quaking in your boots, I will just bid you all goodby, and post no more. Now you can all huddle up in the warm comfort of a unison voiced bleating flock.

NetResults: Was just trying to persuade DDD to still stand for Deep Discount DVD, and not let it become Deep Doo Doo. Adios
Old 10-20-04, 12:02 PM
X
Administrator

Same user name as now. NetResults. Just a new ISP email address. Sorry for the mix up.
I don't understand.

You said "I was a member on this site back sometime ago, when the DVD Ecommerce sites were in their beginning stages" and now you're saying you just changed your email address? This is the only username you've ever had? That would mean you have only been a member here for just over a week.
Old 10-20-04, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by X
I don't understand.

You said "I was a member on this site back sometime ago, when the DVD Ecommerce sites were in their beginning stages" and now you're saying you just changed your email address? This is the only username you've ever had? That would mean you have only been a member here for just over a week.
Netresults was the name I used when I was active in the past. I used to post occassionly to site discussions: Their used to be a lot of folks complaining in those days about members who had a lot of accounts with Columbia and were reselling what they ordered, and I put my take in occassionaly. When I tried to come back on using NetResults your site did not recognize it. I thought it might be because of I not having been on for sometime, and my old account was archived. When I tried the NetResults as a new member it went through, and did not indicate any conflict with being in prior usage. In any case, do not worry about it, as I said I am posting no more on a site where dissenting thoughts are unwelcome. I just came back on to do you the courtesy of answering your query.

Now let me put all your fears about me to rest. I am a retiree in his mid sixties, living in Wisconsin, I have no connection with any other business or enterprise. I enjoy my extensive DVD library, a lot of which was purchased from DDD, and I sure hope they get their act together. I was not pleased when 800.com and others went under. I like a lot of viable competition. We all got great bargins when there were a lot of sites trying to lure us to them.

One final thing, since I promise not to post anymore. I was born in Ireland in 1940, and came to the USA in 1959. I know that you have a founding tenet in the bill of rights, that freedom of speech shall not be abridged, but they are idle words if you all do not live out the meaning of them. Check out some of my posts on that subject where I was ardently defending the right of the CEO of Overstock.com to his freedom of expression, even though he is a staunch conservative, and I am a proud liberal. We had no such section in Ireland's constitution, but that was not required, since very few of us Irish every require a permission slip to express ourselves. As a schoolboy in Tipperary, I was once on a debating team, debating the political merits of then ruling party in Ireland. The visiting school had come short one person, and were allowed to pick one from our team. They choose me, and I promptly went over and put forth a strong counter argument against the case I had just made on the other side. That is why Ireland has given the world so many great writers. It allows its people the unfettered and unintimidated right to express all points of view, and in the blast furnace of ideas, Joyce, Shaw, Yeats, Wilde, Bram Stoker, Samuel Beckett, and on and on, forged enduring art. You can not tell someone like Sinead O'Connor,or the Dixie Chicks that they have free speech, and then try to ruin them for using said speech. A nation that will silence artists, will diminish it's soul.

Administrator, log me out. NetResults has left the Arena.

Last edited by netresults; 10-20-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know a smilie for "Drama queen"?

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-20-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 01:33 PM

???

now now... where was the last post stating that netresults was being honest go?
Old 10-20-04, 01:46 PM
X
Administrator

Re: ???

Originally posted by KKnight
now now... where was the last post stating that netresults was being honest go?
I had a post stating that I couldn't find any sign of a Netresults username in the system previous to the one he signed up last week. Since he requested that he be "logged out" I figured the point was moot. Except for the extremely curious I suppose.
Old 10-20-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One final thing, since I promise not to post anymore. I was born in Ireland in 1940, and came to the USA in 1959. I know that you have a founding tenet in the bill of rights, that freedom of speech shall not be abridged, but they are idle words if you all do not live out the meaning of them. Check out some of my posts on that subject where I was ardently defending the right of the CEO of Overstock.com to his freedom of expression, even though he is a staunch conservative, and I am a proud liberal. We had no such section in Ireland's constitution, but that was not required, since very few of us Irish every require a permission slip to express ourselves. As a schoolboy in Tipperary,

Administrator, log me out. NetResults has left the Arena.
Well since you are leaving I thought the following song would be appropriate for your farewell.

Up to mighty London came
An Irish lad one day,
All the streets were paved with gold,
So everyone was gay!
Singing songs of Piccadilly,
Strand, and Leicester Square,
'Til Paddy got excited and
He shouted to them there:

It's a long way to Tipperary,
It's a long way to go.
It's a long way to Tipperary
To the sweetest girl I know!
Goodbye Piccadilly,
Farewell Leicester Square!
It's a long long way to Tipperary,
But my heart's right there.

Paddy wrote a letter
To his Irish Molly O',
Saying, "Should you not receive it,
Write and let me know!
If I make mistakes in "spelling",
Molly dear", said he,
"Remember it's the pen, that's bad,
Don't lay the blame on me".

It's a long way to go.
Goodbye Piccadilly,
Farewell Leicester Square,

Molly wrote a neat reply
To Irish Paddy O',
Saying, "Mike Maloney wants
To marry me, and so
Leave the Strand and Piccadilly,
Or you'll be to blame,
For love has fairly drove me silly,
Hoping you're the same!"

It's a long way to go.
Goodbye Piccadilly,
Farewell Leicester Square,

Extra wartime verse

That's the wrong way to tickle Mary,
That's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that over here, lad,
They like it best like this!
Hooray pour le Francais!
Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know the way to tickle Mary,
But we learned how, over there!
Old 10-20-04, 04:22 PM
Suspended

However, unless you think that I too am a shill (an extremly DEEP cover shill, planted years ago to foster bad relations against an enemy company), he's not saying anything that I'm not thinking REALLY loud.

Regardless of who Netresults may or may not be, the problem still stands - DDD has dropped and continues to drop the ball. They done fucked up real bad, and frankly they've done little to recitify the situation or mend their pubic relations bridges.
Old 10-21-04, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I do and save money over DDD's prices on most orders. I haven't ordered much from DDD since the 20% off sale since a better deal can often be had elsewhere. I found using coupons and other cost saving methods at other online stores will usually beat DDD.
I have to agree with LASER. There are a glorious abundance of Do-This-Get-This-DVD/Rebate deals out there. This Blockbuster trade-in deal is merely the latest. DVDs are uniquely fungible: They're cheap to produce, lightly shipped, compact to display, and increasingly so inexpensive that a reasonable argument could be made that it isn't worth it to rent.

I like DDD for their 50-Movie Megapacks (El-Kabong honey, you listening? ). With a 20% sale they (generally) reach my $20/shipped threshhold at DDD. It sure beats waiting for RITE-friggin-AID to cough up one every 5 years at that price tsk.

And then there are the odd selections that can't be had at CH: THE FRENCH CONNECTION 2-DISK box set is one; Disme Disney titles are another; and then of course the odd BBC title that CH (only recently) began expanding but is still woefully deficient in, not to mention foreign films.

But this summer (as LASER knows!) I hit the coup de gráce of DVD purchasing with the Procter & Gamble Movie Cash deal, and I don't mind telling you . . . FREE is definitely even better than 20% off DDD!

ACTION MEGAPACK . . . come to me! mmhahaha

PEACH
Old 10-22-04, 09:06 AM

All I know is that I can't log in at all.
I punch in my Login and then my Password and I get taken back to the home page without getting logged in.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone know how I can remedy it?
Old 10-22-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JDF5244
All I know is that I can't log in at all.
I punch in my Login and then my Password and I get taken back to the home page without getting logged in.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone know how I can remedy it?
Just tried - no problem logging in, checking my order status (order placed yesterday is showing), etc.
Old 10-22-04, 09:48 AM

It's quite funny actually; if I want to buy something, it lets me login. Otherwise, I have no luck.
So, I've been putting something into the cart as if I'm going to buy it, then logging in (in order to "buy" it), then I can sometimes check out my wish list and order status.
Somethimes though, it knocks me out back to the Home page where I still need to log in.
VERY STRANGE
Old 10-22-04, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Rockmjd23
those 50 movie megapacks arent excluse to DDD are they?
No, just cheaper there (w/20% discount I should qualify) than anywhere else. They're showing up online all over the place now — Barnes & Noble, Tower, Best Buy, and probably others.

PEACH
Old 10-22-04, 12:52 PM

I can't log in either and I sent them an e-mail about it and the response I got was, "Put something in a shopping cart and you can get into your account." Classy.
Old 10-22-04, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

I had a period of time that I couldn't log in yesterday morning using two different browsers. And hour later I could.

I wonder if their thinking is to disable it for people just wanting to look at their order status (which they may be getting hammered with) but still allow purchases?
Old 10-22-04, 02:13 PM

...the problem with having to put something in the shopping cart is that when I try to add something new to my wish list, it knocks me back out to the home page, not logged in. Very frustrating.
And, by the way, my Internet Browser (here at the office) is apparently "Internet Explorer".
Old 10-23-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JDF5244
my Internet Browser (here at the office) is apparently "Internet Explorer".
Clearly the problem....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.