Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Overstock boycott

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Overstock boycott

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overstock boycott

Let Overstock know what you think about their actions in trying to sway the election.

"My name is patrick byrne, and I am the CEO of Overstock.com. We own the rights to distribute this film 'FahrenHype 9-11' and are interested in getting this into as many GI hands as possible. Towards that end, we will send 5,000 DVD’s to Iraq for free for distribution among the troops. However, we are looking for a way to make sure they get there and get distributed quickly."

I have choosen never to do business with them again and sent them an email as well to let them know why.
Old 10-13-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-13-04, 02:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm a liberal, but have no problem with what Overstock is doing, nor do I see a reason to boycott.
Old 10-13-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, Michael Moore is encouraging people to download pirated Farenheit 9/11's, so why should you care if someone offers a counterpoint for free? You'll also have to boycott Best Buy and Netflix, since they also carry it, as I'm sure there are many others selling it as well.
Old 10-13-04, 03:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I'm going to check out Overstock first for all my new purchases.
Old 10-13-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Thanks for the info!

me too!
Old 10-13-04, 04:41 PM

Re: Overstock boycott

Originally posted by Tracer
Let Overstock know what you think about their actions in trying to sway the election.

"My name is patrick byrne, and I am the CEO of Overstock.com. We own the rights to distribute this film 'FahrenHype 9-11' and are interested in getting this into as many GI hands as possible. Towards that end, we will send 5,000 DVD’s to Iraq for free for distribution among the troops. However, we are looking for a way to make sure they get there and get distributed quickly."

I have choosen never to do business with them again and sent them an email as well to let them know why.
Where did you get that quote from? I didn't see it posted on overstock.com.
Old 10-13-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dear Overstock,

I am very upset that you have decided to give away something for free. You are the worst store on the internet.

I am boycotting you forever.

Tracer
Old 10-13-04, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by X
Thanks for the info!

Word!

...and to think, I would have never known to give Overstock preferential treatment if Tracer hadn't been so kind as to bring this to my attention.
Old 10-14-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I boycott Overstock for other reasons already (their system automatically cancels all my orders, yet they give no reason why). But giving out 5000 DVDs is a good thing.
Old 10-14-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any men and women currently in Iraq probably have stronger feelings about how they're planning to vote than ANY of us over here; I highly doubt a movie is going to brainwash them (in either direction).
Old 10-14-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by D-Ball
I boycott Overstock for other reasons already (their system automatically cancels all my orders, yet they give no reason why).
That's quite the unusual boycott.
Old 10-14-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
Thanks for the info!

Add me to that list! Thanks OP! Now I know of a new place to check first for the best things.

In all honesty, after reading the OPs post, I checked out their site and ordered some garden furniture. Great deals on shipping! Check it out!
Old 10-14-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just want to know who the cutie is in their tv ad campaign.
Old 10-14-04, 03:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by garolo
I just want to know who the cutie is in their tv ad campaign.
There's a thread about it somewhere. TV Talk or Mature I think.
Old 10-14-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
There's a thread about it somewhere. TV Talk or Mature I think.
Groucho, much obliged. Search doesn't find anything in TV and I can't access Adult right now. I guess my burning question will have to wait. Then again there's always GOOG.

Edit: For those curious her name is Sabine Ehrenfeld.
Might I add:

Last edited by garolo; 10-14-04 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 05:46 PM

I am a Liberal, and proud of it. Having said that, I believe that Michael Moore, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken etc are entitled to proclaim there political views, and are also entitled to cast their votes for whomever they wish. What they are not entitled to is the casting of your vote. That is your right and resposibilty of citizenship. These professional commentators, who make a rich living off of their advocacy, are not Oracles or Demigods. Study the issues, and make your own choices. For the sake of the social fabric of the nation, do not engage in punitive boycotts of business because of politics. What the hell is happening to America; are we going down the road to where we will only buy a hotdog from a vendor who shares our political views. Liberals, Conservatives, and Independants, are all participants in the great testing of governing concepts, and are all equally entitled to their freedom of expression. Everybody study the issues,go vote, but do not engage in punitive economic boycotts, or you will most likely destroy the economic engine that keeps the Good Ship USA afloat. Liberals please do not try to boycott Overstock.com because the CEO has a different political view than you or me. I don't agree with conservatives on most issues, but I respect their right to have their own stances. Why on earth would anbody want to live in a mono culture. Where all agree, discussion is dead, and the anvil of controversy, upon which progress is forged, is left to turn to rust.

NetResults

Last edited by netresults; 10-14-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[thread hijack] VIACOM CEO stated the other day that he believes and supports most of John Kerry's views (himself personally), but he will be voting for George Bush because a republican president would be more beneficial to the company..
Old 10-14-04, 06:59 PM

I will send two copies of 'FahrenHype 9-11' to my brother at camp Phoenix, located in Kabul, Afghanistan. This way he can defecate on one copy and cover it with the other. All reports straight from the front lines on the war on terrorism is that spirits are high and other nations are helping our Brave US service men and women. My brother a 15 year vet with a 10th mountain combat patch on his right shoulder (Somalia, pre black hawk down) has informed me not to believe all the negative news coming out of both war zones. He has been going on patrols with army units from several different countries including Belgium and Norway. If the overstock report is true, then I will have to think long and hard before ordering from them again.

BTW, I have not seen Moore's film. I would be hard press to give any of my hard earned money to Moore to see it. Any of you Liberal's want to put your money where your mouth is and send me a copy to "educated" this Red Blooded, God Fearing, Apple Pie eating American, feel free. I will give you a P.O. box upon request. Thanks to the OP, and F-16 moderator for allowing me to throw in my 2 cents.

To netresults, I like your thoughts. I do however disagree with some of it. If an American choose not to give a Company their money based on political views than that is within their rights as an American. Lets not forget a brave southern Lady by the Name of Rosa Parks. I agree there is No comparison between overstock and the Bus Company but boycotts of business by an individual or group is IMHO as American as apple pie.
Old 10-14-04, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

Overstock, as a company, has the right to do whatever it pleases with the profit it makes (as long as it's legal, of course). I'll defend their right to do so.

However, I, as a consumer, have the right to decide that my hard-earned money should not support causes that I don't believe in.

I already don't like Overstock for a bunch of other reasons: they charge your card immediately on preorders, they don't let you cancel, and they charge outrageously high restocking fees if you return ANYTHING.

I've only ordered from them two or three times, and each time I used a coupon or took advantage of a price error. I doubt they make much (if any) money off of me.
Old 10-14-04, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by aspikes
I will send two copies of 'FahrenHype 9-11' to my brother at camp Phoenix, located in Kabul, Afghanistan. This way he can defecate on one copy and cover it with the other. All reports straight from the front lines on the war on terrorism is that spirits are high and other nations are helping our Brave US service men and women. My brother a 15 year vet with a 10th mountain combat patch on his right shoulder (Somalia, pre black hawk down) has informed me not to believe all the negative news coming out of both war zones. He has been going on patrols with army units from several different countries including Belgium and Norway. If the overstock report is true, then I will have to think long and hard before ordering from them again.

BTW, I have not seen Moore's film. I would be hard press to give any of my hard earned money to Moore to see it. Any of you Liberal's want to put your money where your mouth is and send me a copy to "educated" this Red Blooded, God Fearing, Apple Pie eating American, feel free. I will give you a P.O. box upon request. Thanks to the OP, and F-16 moderator for allowing me to throw in my 2 cents.

To netresults, I like your thoughts. I do however disagree with some of it. If an American choose not to give a Company their money based on political views than that is within their rights as an American. Lets not forget a brave southern Lady by the Name of Rosa Parks. I agree there is No comparison between overstock and the Bus Company but boycotts of business by an individual or group is IMHO as American as apple pie.
Methinks you've misunderstood. "Fahrenhype 9/11" isn't a play on words, it's an actual DVD debunking the utter load of crap that is Fahrenheit 9/11. Overstock is sending what amounts to the conservative rebuttal to Fahrenheit 9/11 to the troops.
Old 10-14-04, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by antennaball
Methinks you've misunderstood. "Fahrenhype 9/11" isn't a play on words, it's an actual DVD debunking the utter load of crap that is Fahrenheit 9/11. Overstock is sending what amounts to the conservative rebuttal to Fahrenheit 9/11 to the troops.
Wow, I thought "Fahrenhype 9/11" it was a play on words. I just assumed with all the liberal crap and Bush bashing I seen lately in the media that this was some other Left wing ploy to demoralize our troops. My mistake. I am so very pleasantly surpised by this turn of events!

Anyway, I still think people who are offended by this gesture of overstock have the right not to shop there. I am just glad we live in a country where we have the choice. I guess I should be more careful when I climb on my soap box! My offer for the Fahrenheit 9/11 dvd is still open! Or better yet, I will purchase a copy of "Fahrenhype 9/11" and trade with someone with Fahrenheit 9/11.

Last edited by aspikes; 10-14-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 09:07 AM

To netresults, I like your thoughts. I do however disagree with some of it. If an American choose not to give a Company their money based on political views than that is within their rights as an American. Lets not forget a brave southern Lady by the Name of Rosa Parks. I agree there is No comparison between overstock and the Bus Company but boycotts of business by an individual or group is IMHO as American as apple pie. [/B][/QUOTE]

Disagree to your heart's content my friend. That is what the gist of my posting was urging. Yes, an idividual has the complete indvidual right to decide where they spend their money, organizing a boycott because of the owner's individual right to free valid political expression is what I was rejecting.

The Montgomery Bus Co, if memory serves me right, was a municipal service, and was depriving one group of citizens of their equal rights. The same applied to the Walgreens lunchcounter protests. In both those cases it was Organizations or business interests exercising fascist type discrimination which was depriving a segment of the population of their equal rights. What I was rejecting was the call by the starter of this thread for a punitive boycott against a business just because the CEO was exercising his lawful, and non-infringing right to freedom of valid political expression. I disagree politically with said CEO, but will defend fully his right to express it.

Look, I am a Kerry supporter and hope he wins,but regardless of who the winner is, one man alone at the top is not what will keep us free and strong. It is in the garden of free, civil, and energetic discourse where liberty thrives. Intimidating legitimate free expression leads us down the path to the harmony of a graveyard, where all are quite, and nothing is said.

NetResults
Old 10-15-04, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by netresults
Yes, an idividual has the complete indvidual right to decide where they spend their money, organizing a boycott because of the owner's individual right to free valid political expression is what I was rejecting.NetResults
So if I person who disagrees with the CEO of overstock can not boycott overstock based on the CEO political view? Wow, where are you from? That does not sound very American. I thought in America people had the right to organized against anything or anybody based on what ever they thought was relevant!

Originally posted by netresults
Intimidating legitimate free expression leads us down the path to the harmony of a graveyard, where all are quite, and nothing is said.

NetResults
What could be a more free expression than that of a consumer to spend their money as they see fit, based on any reason or without reason is of no concern but the consumers. You Netresults can not decide where I can spend my money. Futhermore you cant not dictate to me that I can't boycott for whatever reason I want. Let people decide on their own.

NetResults, I am not saying that a boycott on overstock based on the CEO free expression of his political view is justified! All I am saying is that people have the right to boycott overstock if they choose, based on whatever reasons they choose. You and I can't decide for others their reasons or can we?

Last edited by aspikes; 10-15-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by aspikes
So if I person who disagrees with the CEO of overstock can not boycott overstock based on the CEO political view? Wow, where are you from? That does not sound very American. I thought in America people had the right to organized against anything or anybody based on what ever they thought was relevant!

What could be a more free expression than that of a consumer to spend their money as they see fit, based on any reason or without reason is of no concern but the consumers. You Netresults can not decide where I can spend my money. Futhermore you cant not dictate to me that I can't boycott for whatever reason I want. Let people decide on their own.

NetResults, I am not saying that a boycott on overstock based on the CEO free expression of his political view is justified! All I am saying is that people have the right to boycott overstock if they choose, based on whatever reasons they choose. You and I can't decide for others their reasons or can we?
Well I happen to know what the original meaning of Boycott is, since it originated in a protest against one Captain Boycott in the land I was born in: Ireland. It had nothing to do with hurting someone's livelyhood because of their legitimate exercise of their political right to advocate, or to counter someone else's advocacy. Remember, the said DVD is merely a response to a Liberal advocate's, namely Michael Moore's, DVD political expression. I say this as a proud Liberal. Moore and the CEO of Overstock are just engaged in the modern day equivelent of partisan media editorials. The individual retains all rights to accept or reject either viewpoint, just the same as they would decide if they find either the Wall Street Journal or NY Times Editoral comments persuasive. The fellow who started this called for an organized boycott because he disagreed with the political campaign efforts of the CEO of Overstock, and not because said CEO or Corp. was doing anything to infringe on the wellfare of any other Individual or Group. I disagree with the Wall Street Journal. Does that mean that fellow liberals should Boycott them and Business's which buy ads from them. If this chap doesn't want to shop at Overstock, who is going to require him to?. If I don't want to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal who is going to make me do so?. Keep Boycotts for what we Irish started them for, the redress of authentic collective social grievence, and not to stifle Michael Moore or his Overstock counter part. Just because you disagree with someone, that doesn't mean you are being wronged. Enough of this petty, ooh I don't like what he just expressed, let's all burn him at the financial stake. If you want to be allowed to declare your political views, you must allow those who hold opposing views the same, unintimidated right. That is all I have to say on this subject. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. A fine political and social creedo from a pretty sharp Irishman named O'Jesus.

NetResults

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.