Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

MOVIE CASH: What a T.H.R.I.L.L. . . . and thank you TOWER RECORDS and WALGREENS!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

MOVIE CASH: What a T.H.R.I.L.L. . . . and thank you TOWER RECORDS and WALGREENS!

Old 10-02-04, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can lay claim to some bragging rights here:
$84.00 in free DVDs courtesy of the Walgreens Proctor & Gamble MOVIE CASH promotion earlier this year.

LINKY POO
http://walgreensmoviecashplus.com

I just used my eight $10.50 movie cash checks at the TOWER RECORDS in Emeryville, CA and the checkout guy actually gave me change! Yowza! Not only did he apply it to the sales tax, he gave me some money back.

So . . . anyone who was skeptical about this Movie Cash deal, it is 100% legit.

If you didn't make it in this year, I'll be monitoring Walgreens next year to see if they do the deal again (supposedly they are going to) and I'll report back to this thread.

THE PEACH

And what did I get?

PORGY & BESS (Simon Rattle Production, EMI)
TOPKAPI (Peter Ustinov)
THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
A TOUCH OF EVIL
THE MAGIC SWORD + THE SWORD OF LANCELOT (Basil Rathbone double feature)

Needless to say I will not need to buy TIDE for quite some time LOL.
Old 10-02-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... "linky poo"?
Old 10-03-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So . . . anyone who was skeptical about this Movie Cash deal, it is 100% legit.
Was there another thread about this offer on the forum? I don't recall seeing it. Unfortunately I don't have a Walgreens locally or would I want to buy a lifetime supply of Tide to earn the movie cash. Anyway it looks like you cleaned up with this deal Miss Peach.
Old 10-05-04, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Was there another thread about this offer on the forum? I don't recall seeing it. Unfortunately I don't have a Walgreens locally or would I want to buy a lifetime supply of Tide to earn the movie cash. Anyway it looks like you cleaned up with this deal Miss Peach.
Laser! There wasn't a thread (at least I couldn't find one, and the Search capabilities of Dvdtalk are, er, less than friendly tsk . . .)

But tell ya what: I'll post this in the Bargains forum when next it comes around.

This deal was so hot it was on fire! You basically had a list of (popular, not wierd) eligible P&G products to choose from and the Walgreens promotion ran for a full month (May).

I purchased only two P&G products in bulk:
TIDE
HERBAL ESSENCE shampoo

But what made this deal so delicious was the combination of
1. The sales Walgreens ran on these two products
and
2. The coupons that were out at the time.

And one coupon in particular, of which I used something like 10: A B1G1 on HERBAL ESSENCE.

I didn't know how Walgreens would treat the application of coupons — especially since I paid diddley for this product after applying my coupons + the sales — but . . . OMG!! Not only did these gorgeous checks come in the mail . . . they worked flawlessly when I brought them into my local Tower Records.

I had placed the order with Tower online (free shipping over $20), knowing that the BM store would not have the titles I wanted cause they are older. The order came to $84.90 before tax (thus .90 over the 8 Movie Cash Checks @ $10.50/ea) and arrived quickly.

But when I made the exchange at the store, to use up the Movie Cash checks, the clerk said "Oh you'll be happy to see that two of these titles we sell for even less than the online store. Looks like I'll be giving you back some change along with your DVD's."

I had grabbed this deal off of the FW forum Laser, and apparently Walgreens has done this for the past two years now. If they do it in 2005, trust that I will report it faithfully to Dvdtalk — including my extreme delight at how flawlessly it worked!

Woo damn hoo!

THE PEACH
Old 10-05-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This doesn't sound like the exact same deal, but a similar one was posted in June:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=walgreens
Old 10-05-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Colleen
This doesn't sound like the exact same deal, but a similar one was posted in June:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=walgreens
Thanks for the link Colleen. That appears to be the same deal. I see Miss Peach even posted in that thread and provided the same link as she used in this one.
Old 10-05-04, 01:24 PM

Colleen, thank you for finding that thread! Geez I wish you could search this site for a phrase; although . . . if I weren't so chronically overworked and underpaid I could have used my Leetle Grey Cells to have searched for "Walgreens" duh LOL.

Laser . . . I'm baffled that you don't have a Walgreens. You're in CA? I'm in the Bay Area and I thought Walgreens was statewide (?).

Yes, needless to say I have a shelf full of HERBAL ESSENCE and TIDE roflmao.

There's a side joke to this, because I have the TIDE out in the garage. Two weeks ago I was doing a load of laundry and stepped out to do some grocery shopping.

Came home and saw a LAKE emanating from beneath my garage door. One of my washing machine hoses blew and it torrential when I finally dashed into the garage. Everything was wet — including 6 boxes of TIDE.

I panicked until I saw that the blow must have come during the rinse cycle, and by the grace of the Good Lord Proctor & Gamble coats those boxes somewhat. Saved by the TIDE lol.

But yes, Laser if you can hunt down a Walgreens this is one deal (anyone) should take advantage of. With my coupons I scored product that I would have paid more for even at Target — all of it product that I would have had to buy in any event, and the fact that Walgreens included (approx.) $5 bottles of HERBAL ESSENSE before the price of one of them was zeroed out with my coupon . . . well you can imagine. Impressed doesn't begin to describe my experience, but to have it topped off with a gracious experience at TOWER . . . I just had to post this!

PEACH
Old 10-05-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are some Walgreens in the area but they are about 20 miles away. Usually I end up going to the local Save On or Rite Aid in my town instead. I could go but it would require some planning since I don't go near the area that has the Walgreen very often. Also I don't get any Walgreen ads to know when they are having sales. I guess you could get that information on their website? I will have to look into it more if they run this offer again next year.
Old 10-06-04, 11:44 AM

There are some Walgreens in the area but they are about 20 miles away. Usually I end up going to the local Save On or Rite Aid in my town instead. I could go but it would require some planning since I don't go near the area that has the Walgreen very often. Also I don't get any Walgreen ads to know when they are having sales. I guess you could get that information on their website? I will have to look into it more if they run this offer again next year.
The P&G Movie Cash deal dominates the available advertising space on the little Walgreens Rebate book for the month that 'greens is running the MC promo. Here's a tip for you Laser:

The Rebate Book is good for the entire month. Grab one of those Movie-Cash-Advertised Rebate Books at the beginning of the month they are running the promotion. You don't need to drive out to get it — it's available in PDF on the Walgreens site. If they were running this deal again (as is widely reported) in May 2005 you would want to mark your calendar for MAY 1 and download the rebate book for the month. Typically if you see a rebate box(es) on a product it means that some time during that month Walgreens will put that product on sale in the store. They know they're competing with Target and Walmart — a sale isn't good enough; they sweeten the deal by offering a rebate on top of their sale.

Example: I knew that of the family of P&G products eligible for the Movie Cash promotion, there were only 3 that met my criteria —
1. Something I know I will have to buy anyway (TIDE)
2. Something well packaged that can be stored without decomposing, possibly for years (HERBAL ESSENCE but SURE antiperspirant was another P&G alternative for me and I might have expanded the list but for the absence of viable SURE coupons out at the time)
3. Something mice would not eat LOL

So to get an advance preview of what I could reasonably expect would be going on sale at Walgreens, I scanned their Rebate Book for that month: Bingo. There was TIDE. There were no rebates being offered for HERBAL ESSENCE but, recall I had the B1G1 coupons — if necessary I would have paid full price for them; but I wisely held out and at some point during the month Walgreens put HERBAL ESSENCE on sale too. Needless to say they found two of their stores' inventory sacked of "Rosemary" almost overnight by a crazed woman bearing nasty little B1G1 coupons — and as irratating, demanding the receipts be structured "a certain way" heh heh. (well, one does have to attend to one's receipts; I wasn't going to spend more than the minimum required to get each set of two $10.50 Movie Cash checks). If you lived in my area and wanted the original-scent "Rosemary" HERBAL ESSENCE from these two Walgreens your only hope was if the store happened to have had an odd count of that scent at the time I sacked, since I had to buy them in twos. I tell you I can't remember when I've had so much fun shopping for those boring things we all need anyway.

So that's my tip Laser: Grab that rebate book in PDF; hilight P&G items that are candidates for bulk purchase; if you're a shopping fiend like I am, scoop up coupons to go with your product; each Sunday monitor Walgreens online ads (they cycle on Sundays); then strike. $40 worth of P&G product gets you $42 (four) in Movie Cash checks (and your purchase eligibility is calculated before coupons!!

If no one else starts a thread on this next year, I promise I will.

THE PEACH
Old 10-06-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Miss Peach for the information. I went ahead and added Walgreens to my bookmarked pages for later reference.
Old 10-06-04, 10:10 PM

Laser you're so very welcome! Do you know, I filed away the scans of my Movie Cash receipts (one can never be too careful heh) and I subtotaled what I had to buy before sales tax at Walgreens to score this $84.00 in DVD's-of-my-choice. Dig this: $58.25! OMG it wasn't even close to a one-for-one dollar match. Those coupons! Never leave home without them, as Carl would say heh heh.

PEACH