Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Half.com Not Closing!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Half.com Not Closing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half.com Not Closing!

Dear Seller,

In our last announcement earlier this summer, we said that Half.com would be closing on October 14, 2004. We have decided not to go forward with this plan and will keep Half.com open indefinitely.

Over the last year and a half, our efforts to prepare for a consolidated marketplace for Books, Movies, Music and Video Games on eBay have helped many Half.com sellers transition to eBay, especially during this past back-to-school season. Many of you have reported being successful on eBay while growing your overall sales by selling on both platforms. This has contributed to the biggest back-to-school season ever experienced on eBay. However, with all the growth in the Books, Movies, Music and Video Games categories on eBay, we have not seen a corresponding drop in business on Half.com. In fact, loyalty to Half.com has remained strong as we witnessed yet another outstanding back-to-school season on Half.com. The buying and selling activities of the eBay and Half.com communities have proven that the Books, Movies, Music and Video Games marketplace can be more vibrant with both Half.com and eBay.

We have heard from many of you that you want the Half.com site to remain open and to have the option to sell on both platforms. Your input, as well as the data and experience we have gained during the transition efforts, are the basis for our decision to keep Half.com open. There will be no substantive changes to Half.com in the foreseeable future. We encourage you to sell on both Half.com and eBay to maximize your sales, as many of you have already done throughout the transition period. Going forward, we will invest in both platforms and allow sellers and buyers the flexibility to benefit from the unique opportunities they each allow.

If you have further questions, please read our Frequently Asked Questions page or attend one of the following live interactive Q&A sessions with eBay and Half.com executives:
• Thursday, September 30 @ 10:00am PT
• Tuesday, October 5 @ 4:00pm PT

We appreciate and look forward to your continued loyalty to Half.com.

Sincerely,

Mike Aufricht
VP/GM, Half.com
Old 09-23-04, 03:25 PM

Glad they're keeping it open. Loved the ease of selling DVDs there.
Old 09-23-04, 03:30 PM

Cool
Old 09-23-04, 03:35 PM
Banned

are they going to hand out $5 off coupon now
Old 09-23-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
awesome. great news
Old 09-23-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this is definitely great news. I got the e-mail too.

However, this belongs in the store forum.
Old 09-23-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Super duper neato news!
Old 09-25-04, 12:58 PM

Hi

A little while back i posted on these boards about how to prevent the closing. Some answered that nothing would change their opinion.
Well it seems that complains about the upcoming close and sales on half still being up make them change their minds.
I love half.com and am very pleased with the decision.

Patrick
Old 09-26-04, 09:25 AM

I purchased a ton of stuff from them over the summer, anticipating them closing. Now, I feel great since I contributed a very tiny part of their decision to not to shut it down. I will continue to shop at half for a long time. Their prices are great, their shipping isn't overinflated like ebay, and its just an overall good experience.
Old 09-27-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvdjoy
Glad they're keeping it open. Loved the ease of selling DVDs there.
Same here.
Old 10-02-04, 06:30 PM

Oh what wonderful news!!!! I buy some of my harder-to-find hardcover first editions on Half.com . . . usually at a steal. This is great news OP, thank you so much for posting this!

THE PEACH