Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What to do when half.com closes?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

well.. ebay has been threatening for awhile.. but it looks like we are down to the final 3 months of half.com

I've really enjoyed half.com.. made it so easy to sell books, dvds, textbooks, and some toys..

I prefer half.com, because their fees are reasonable, they get lots of traffic, and I can set my own price.. Rather than using an auction system..

And its very easy to list my items..

I havent decided if Ill convert my items over to ebay.. because it just doesnt seem worth it for some of the .75 - 1.50 books.. but with half.com, there was still a little more profit on those books, with the set shipping prices..
Old 07-31-04, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Amazon resellers.
Old 07-31-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Use ebay, they have changed the way to list an item to sell, much like half is set up. I haven't tried amazon, but thought about it awhile back and it seemed the fees were higher.
Old 08-02-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to miss Half too. Over the last few years, I can count on one hand the number of things I've bought on ebay, but have lost count of the number on Half.
Old 08-02-04, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Previous discussion
Old 08-03-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm going to cry.
Old 08-03-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is really sad. I've never sold anything, but have bought lots of stuff from Half. I guess all of my business will go to Amazon to buy my used stuff now.
Old 08-04-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I switched my listings for CDs and DVDs over to eBay, books on Amazon. You list on eBay now the same way you did on Half, by UPC or ISBN. You can run fixed price listings only if you wish instead of auctions. The final value fee is much less than that of Half, max of 5% vs. 15%. Granted, there's an insertion fee, but most of my listings have insertion fees of 45 cents.

I list books on Amazon because there's more of a market for books there. Paperbacks on eBay barely sell.
Old 08-05-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
What I liked about half was paying the 2.49 fixed shipping fee. All the ebay sellers try to milk you on shipping. Some charge five or six dollars when the actual shipping cost is arond $2.
Old 08-05-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The thing about selling on Ebay versus Half.com is that on Half.com your item sits there until it sells, and only then it costs you money. It is a great way to sell 'normal' stuff, not colectible stuff for that reason. And for some reason people pay more, in general, on Half.com. I just sold Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast for 21 bucks on half.com, and it looks like it's going for 8-12 on Ebay, and that's if it sells [you pay the insertion fee and reserve fee, if any, even if it doesn't sell.]
As a buyer, fixed shipping on Half.com was nice. Also the fact that Ipaid Half.com, who paid the seller, so I had some easy recourse in case I didn't get what I expected [which never happened].
Amazon Marketplace, IIRC, charged 15% _plus_ .99 or something like that commission. Noticeably more than Half.com, especially for items <5 bucks or so.
I agree, I'll miss Half.com. I guess I should have kept some of those pre-printed Half.com stickers they gave original users to ship with, maybe they'd be worth something on ebay....oh the irony....
Old 08-05-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I'm going to beat the neighbor's cat.
Old 08-05-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lwhy?
What I liked about half was paying the 2.49 fixed shipping fee. All the ebay sellers try to milk you on shipping. Some charge five or six dollars when the actual shipping cost is arond $2.
Buyer-wise, it's great. Seller-wise, not so much. I'm always fair with my shipping on eBay, but have gotten stuck with big shipping charges with a few of the items I sell on Half because of the fixed rate.
Old 08-05-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, the seller never gets the full $2.49 either. It's usually like $1.67 or something. Half has to get their cut of that as well.
Old 08-05-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That's true, they only offer a 'shipping credit' on most items regardless of how much it costs to ship. But my shipping credit usually covers my shipping costs [1.26 or so in first class postage, and about 15 cents worth of supplies, Half.com gives 1.89 shipping reimbursement]. And if someone should upgrade to Priority, Half.com's credit more than covers that [4.70 credit for 3.85 in postage and about ten cents worth of bubblewrap, free boxes.]
Like any business,you have to take that into account when you price things. I wouldn't sell a computer monitor on there for 1.00 because I'd lose money on shipping. But I'd sell a book or a CD on there for 1.00 because I'd make a little bit, on something I am no longer using.
For ease of use, and consistent reasonable fees, and widespread coverage, and massive flexibility, I have really enjoyed Half.com, and I'll miss it when it's gone.
it's been a great way to try to get rid of a bunch of 'random stuff' that's not worth the hassle of Ebay, but that wouldn't give me much at a garage sale or trade-in at a local B&M.
I certainly won't get rich and retire from them, but:
" You are currently listing 64 item(s) with a total value of $968.29.
Since becoming a member, you have sold 98 item(s) for a total of $1,459.87."
is nice, especially when all that stuff would have maybe gotten 100 bucks at a flea market or a garage sale. Half the time I'm amazed at what someone pays for my stuff.

Obviously this all depends on what you sell. 95% of what I have listed, or what I have sold, is either CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, or console games, each of which is very cheap to ship. I did actually sell a computer printer last year, but I also added like 10 or 15 bucks for shipping costs [I think you specify shipping on some items].
Old 08-05-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Half never did make their way to Canadian service.
Old 08-06-04, 08:25 PM

The best thing for a half.com seller is NO PAYPAL BS
Period.

I wish ebay never purchased it.
Old 08-14-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by btlives
The best thing for a half.com seller is NO PAYPAL BS
Period.

I wish ebay never purchased it.
Now eBay owns them all!
Old 08-15-04, 06:35 PM

Has anyone used www.gemm.com ?
Old 08-17-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Today, Half.com is going to Ebay. Did the change take place already?
Old 08-17-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by silentbob007
Today, Half.com is going to Ebay. Did the change take place already?
I think what you mean is that half.com is redirecting to half.ebay.com. Right? If so, it's been doing that for a long time.
Old 08-19-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
eBay was going to shut Half down over the summer but many sellers complained that they prefer to sell college textbooks on Half, so they will remain open until sometime in October.
Old 08-19-04, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
I think what you mean is that half.com is redirecting to half.ebay.com. Right? If so, it's been doing that for a long time.
Actually, for about a 15 minute window yesterday, half.com was going to Ebay's "Half Zone" and would not allow normal Half.com searches, only auctions.
Old 08-20-04, 08:32 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
And WHY are they doing this again? If they own both, why not give people the option of either/or? It annoys me to no end...
Old 08-24-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
And WHY are they doing this again? If they own both, why not give people the option of either/or? It annoys me to no end...
This is what I'm saying. But I bet it has something to do with how much it cost to run the site vs profit earned. Whatever the reason it blows. Half was the best for cds, books, dvds, and the like. No getting sniped. No jacked up shipping rate. No paypal! It was good while it lasted.

I really can't stand ebay anymore. In the earlier days it was really "one man's trash is another man's treasure" come to life, but now it's dominated too heavily by vendors. Especially the electronics/computer sections.
Old 08-24-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by boredsilly
This is what I'm saying. But I bet it has something to do with how much it cost to run the site vs profit earned. Whatever the reason it blows. Half was the best for cds, books, dvds, and the like. No getting sniped. No jacked up shipping rate. No paypal! It was good while it lasted.

I really can't stand ebay anymore. In the earlier days it was really "one man's trash is another man's treasure" come to life, but now it's dominated too heavily by vendors. Especially the electronics/computer sections.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I really liked half and even ebay in the beginning, but half is nearly dead and ebay has turned to crap. I no longer bother.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.