Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Old 08-23-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
I can understand being polite and trying to help the customer but when you have 50 employees roaming the store, at least 3 people in every department with nothing to do asking you if you need help it gets a little tiresome. If I need help I'll ask for it. I don't need those BB prostitutes coming up to me every 3 seconds to sell me their shit.
CARE + at its finest.
Old 08-23-04, 03:26 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no problems at mine. I sometimes get asked those questions (usually just Reward Zone and the subscription) I just say no and they leave it at that. Doesn't really bother me as I've worked retail before and been forced to ask crap like that.

They still have the best selection, prices and services of the places I can buy DVDs within 5-10 minutes of my apartment so I have no problem with them.
Old 08-23-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff

. . . I guess I am chanelling the spirit of Tarantino here (scary thought): Mopower, you would probably be in here bitching about how bad the service was if nobody spoke to you. As someone who comes from retail management, I would rather have EVERY employee in the building say "hi" to you than hear that nobody did. They were new employees at a new job in a new business trying to do the right thing and impress you. They don't know who did and did not do what . . .

I worked retail (wal-mart) for 4 years. I knew when to try to sell something and when to just leave the person alone. Best Buy does not. And you can't tell me everyone in that store was a virgin BB employee? It's the 3rd BB in the city. I'm not mad at the employees. I'm made at BB for making their employees either be annoying or get fired.
Old 08-23-04, 03:47 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Mopower
And you can't tell me everyone in that store was a virgin BB employee? It's the 3rd BB in the city. I'm not mad at the employees. I'm made at BB for making their employees either be annoying or get fired.
The latter is the main thing here. It's a new store, with likely some newly promoted managers, who are going to be cracking the whip to get the employees to spout the company line even more than at older stores. It will probably die down after a month or two.
Old 08-23-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rockmjd23
they're just doing their job. no need to be an ass. most people complain about the lack of help at retail stores. you should be happy they paid attention to you.
Exactly what "job" are they doing? I don't enjoy having the back of my head "talked to". My wife finally told them to get lost because she was tired of trying to be polite and say no thank you.

The employees there are clueless. I would rather they just stand around and look stupid instead of pretending to help, which they don't do anyway. Try asking if they have something you want. If it is not on the shelf they feign an attempt to find it and then say "no, we don't have it". Really now, think I could figure that out for myself. Perhaps the store would actually have some best buys if they did not employ so many people.
Old 08-23-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy just hired my sister, thats all i really need to know about the quality of their workers.
Old 08-24-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Abob Teff

. . . Abe Froman . . . damn brain block, what was that from?! . . .

Abe Froman is the sausage king of Chicago. Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Old 08-24-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Thank you! That's been bugging me since I read it. One of those things that you know but can't recall . . . Thank you!
Old 08-24-04, 02:35 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Exactly what "job" are they doing? I don't enjoy having the back of my head "talked to". My wife finally told them to get lost because she was tired of trying to be polite and say no thank you.
Bitch at the managment that tells them to go up to people and bug them, not the employees just doing what they are told.
Old 08-24-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always say "No, I am not interested" to the magazine pitch and when they ask if they can get my phone number, I simply say "No." They always just shrug and ring the items up.

One time, a guy said "they like us to put a phone number in there" so I told him to ahead and type in *his* home number.

I'm never mean about it, just disinterested.
Old 08-24-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never had my phone number asked for in the 3 or 4 Best Buys i've been to... although i do get the magazine question a lot. A simple "no thanks" and thats over with. No big deal to me.
Old 08-24-04, 06:31 PM
Suspended

okay do you think im an idiot for doing this..

I bought a hd tv and than the guy talked me into getting a extended warrenty because he said projection Tvs dont last that long before they need to be repaired is that true? he also talked me into getting some surge protector which cost 100$ i dont know why but i gave in to both
Old 08-24-04, 06:36 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SHAME ON YOU

I don't own a PTV, so I have no comment on the usefulness of a PSP. I reckon BB was probably cursing the PTV to the point of just getting you to buy a PSP. Btw, you know you can return the PSP if you change your mind now, right

However, you can get a decent surge protector for well under $100. The monster protector or the like is overpriced, and BB was probably selling it at the full list price.

Last edited by eau; 08-24-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 06:38 PM
Suspended

yea and the extended warrenty was like 250$ LOL!
Old 08-25-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zidane349

I bought a hd tv and than the guy talked me into getting a extended warrenty because he said projection Tvs dont last that long before they need to be repaired is that true? he also talked me into getting some surge protector which cost 100$ i dont know why but i gave in to both
When they told you that tv doesn't last long you should have asked why BB sells such a shitty product.
Old 08-25-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by zidane349

That's the standard spiel... read one of my above posts. They'll tell you anything to get you to buy an extended warranty. It does offer some protection, but at the end of the day, it's just a way to pad the price.

It's been my experience with electronics that anything you buy will either break down in the first couple of months OR it will last you five years. So you end up paying for protection you don't need -- if something breaks down during the manufacturer's warranty, it's covered by the manufacturer. If it doesn't, chances are good that whatever you have will last you a good five years.

I look at it this way... you can buy extended warranties for everything in your house and it's going to cost you several thousand dollars. In the event that something you own breaks down, you can just buy a new one for a lot less than all of those warranties will cost you.

I'd also be wary of them trying to sell you surge protectors. When I bought my Compaq Presario, as I was checking out this manager walks up to the clerk and asks her if she told me about UPS. She says no, so this guy, who stinks of Altoids, pulls me back into behind the service counter and starts waving all of these papers in my face. He tells me that brownouts can damage this particular model of computer, that it has nine running motors in it, and that if I don't have a UPS, an uneven flow of electricity would negatively effect my BIOS and damage the motherboard.

Okay, I have a pretty decent knowledge of computers, and I could tell this guy was just throwing around a bunch of words he figured I'd heard before but didn't understand to bullshit me into spending an extra hundred bucks on something I didn't need.

So I call his bluff, and tell him that I already have a UPS(Uninterrupted Power Supply).

But somehow, he knew that the one I claimed already owned wasn't good enough. That the one he wanted to sell me had blah-blah-blah and was rated for blah-blah-blah and had a phonejack.

And I walked out with my new computer, no extended warranty, and no UPS.

And five years later, I'm typing this post on that same Presario.
Old 08-25-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
And five years later, I'm typing this post on that same Presario.
wow, 5 years for a comp. that thing's an antique
Old 08-25-04, 03:25 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

I look at it this way... you can buy extended warranties for everything in your house and it's going to cost you several thousand dollars. In the event that something you own breaks down, you can just buy a new one for a lot less than all of those warranties will cost you.
That's exactly my reasoning as well.

However, I do sometimes make exceptions for things like laptops and PDAs and usually get a plan that covers accidental damage as those are higher risk items as you can drop them, spill shit on them etc.
Old 08-25-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, alright...the king is here. You asked for me, here I am.

I only have a few things to comment on...

Go to Circuit City or something. Really. Selling on commission is better than having to put up with the wacky BB corporate craziness.
Circuit City isn't on commission anymore.

Mopower, your quote...
I was just browsing around with a friend. Every damn department one of their morons came up to us and said, "How is it going? Can I help you with anything?" Or "What are you guys looking for?" Or. "Whats up fellas, Looking for a new TV today?" It was pathetic. Finally my friend says to one of them." I'd be better if you people would stop bothering me. You are the twelth person to ask me how I'm doing!" Then the BB guy just walked off.
Maybe it's just me, but you come off as a complete dickhead here. They're asking if you need help. If I'm in a store and someone asks me if I need help and I don't, a simple "No thanks" and that's it. I don't get pissed off. Most of the time when I'm in a retail store, I get annoyed when I'm completely ignored. You're better off shopping online with an attitude like that.

Abob - Glad I'm finally getting to ya

To whoever said they'd move to Canada if it weren't for the insane taxes - I'd be right there with ya.

He said "PUNCH IN YOUR CODE!"

I punched it in and he said "IS A LITTLE BAG OKAY? A LITTLE YELLOW ONE WITH HANDLES?" very sarcastically.

"Yeah. That's fine."

"DO YOU WANT A RECEIPT?"

"Yes."

"GOOD! 'CUZ YOU GOTTA HAVE ONE ANYWAY."
Maybe it's just me, but that kid sounds fucking hilarious.

That's it for now, your local neighborhood Best Buy shill...signing off...

= T
Old 08-25-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has this been posted already? This is from the Sports Guy on ESPN. Bet $50 its Best Buy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...cowbell/040816
Old 08-25-04, 10:52 PM

So that guy is pissed he was parked illegally and was ticketed for it? I have no sympathy for him.

I *like* the way Best Buy now ropes off the registers to form a single line. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind someone that ends up taking 5 minutes to checkout while seeing the line two registers up go through a dozen people. That is one of my biggest annoyances with places that have several registers. I think grocery stores should start that practice as well.
Old 08-25-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Has this been posted already? This is from the Sports Guy on ESPN. Bet $50 its Best Buy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...cowbell/040816
I was thinking of the same thing when reading this thread. My local Best Buy also went to the one lane format some time ago. Last time I was there I was doing basically what Simmons did, buying one DVD. instead of navigating the roped off line, I just ducked under the rope since no one was in line. And yet someone yelled at me for "cheating". Oh well!
Old 08-26-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So that guy is pissed he was parked illegally and was ticketed for it? I have no sympathy for him.
Well thats one thing the guy is complaining about, but it isn't the main point of the article - its the lines.
Old 08-26-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like the guy has never been to a grocery store in his life. No, they don't have a single line to the registers (more's the pity), but they've always had the candy-magazines-otherjunk endcaps to sucker you into impulse buying one more thing.

And yeah, he fully deserves what he got for not parking in a parking spot.
Old 08-26-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino

Mopower, your quote...

Maybe it's just me, but you come off as a complete dickhead here. They're asking if you need help. If I'm in a store and someone asks me if I need help and I don't, a simple "No thanks" and that's it. I don't get pissed off. Most of the time when I'm in a retail store, I get annoyed when I'm completely ignored. You're better off shopping online with an attitude like that.

Ya, I love saying "No thanks" 12 fucking times. Fortunately for me I do research and know what I'm buying before I go into the store. I don't need some Best Buy flunkies help. Why would I trust that they know what they are trying to sell? According to them all they sell is junk considering they want you to buy an extended warranty on a fucking Xbox controller! No I don't need help finding a CD either, I know the alphabet. Thanks. The only things I need to know from a BB employee is where is the restroom and do you have this or that in stock. Other wise they can shut the fuck up and leave me alone.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.