Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deepdiscountcd sucks for pre-ordering!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pre-ordered the new Tragically Hip CD from DDCd. The disc was released on 6/30, and I STILL DON'T HAVE IT!!!

When I've pre-ordered from DDDVD, they don't usually arrive right on the release date, but they are always at my house the week of the release date. The e-mail that was sent to me on the 30th said the estimated arrival date is between 7/9 - 7/14!! WTF?!

This is my first, and last time pre-ordering from these guys. I think it's ridiculous that it's taking this long. I could have driven to their wharehouse and picked it up by now!!

Is this normal for them?!
Old 07-10-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you used the free shipping option, that sounds about right. Whenever I preorder DVDs from DDD, I usually end up waiting a week or so.
Old 07-11-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ya, 10-14 days from DDD. sounds right to me. surprisingly the fastest shipping time i got from DDD was during the huge 20% sale. after the sale, its now 8 days and counting since my simpsons shipped. if you paid for shipping, then ya, i would be pissed too.
Old 07-12-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah they say they ship so the dvd or cd will arrive at your door on or around the pre-order date.

Like I said before, I don't speak "aroundish", but I have come to learn that free shipping is free for a reason. They would lose a lot of money if they shipped Priority on everything for free.
Old 07-19-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Merge perhaps?
Old 07-26-04, 09:24 AM

My big problem with ordering from DDD is that there is no incentive for pre-ordering weeks or months in advance since their prices are so high.

Of course, when street date arrives, they lower the price to match the competition. Naturally, your order price does not get reduced automatically.

Instead, you have to request a price adjustment which they will usually grant.

However, the big problem is that YOU have the hassle of contacting them in order to get a lower price!

Last edited by dvdirv; 07-26-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 09:19 AM

A follow-up to my previous post:

As an example, DDD now charges $21.59 for HIDALGO and $21.54 for 13 GOING ON 30, for a total of $43.13.

From past experience, by next week they will lower these prices to $15.89 for HIDALGO and (at least) $16.89 for 13 GOING ON 30 for a total of $32.76. This is over $10 more you will have to spend by pre-ordering these 2 titles alone. This is NOT chump change!

However, if you contact them next week they will make the adjustments. For me, it's just easier to visit a local vendor and buy these titles at their street date prices without going through the hassle of dealing with a credit/adjustment!
Old 08-04-04, 07:52 AM

A final follow-up to my initial post:

I was correct in my guess that DDD is now charging $15.89 for HIDALGO, but high for 13 GOING ON 30 which is $15.89 making these two titles total at $31.78.

Compare this to DDD's pre-order pricing at $43.13, an overpricing of $11.35 or $5.65 each.

I suppose one could order all pre-orders this way and then ask DDD for a price adjustment. but it's just easier to deal with local vendors in the first place.
Old 08-10-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by dvdirv
Of course, when street date arrives, they lower the price to match the competition. Naturally, your order price does not get reduced automatically.
Since I know this from experience, and they are hella slow anyway, I just don't preorder from them. I wait until release date (when the price gets lowered) and order then. No fuss, no bother. If I'm in a rush to get it, I have no business ordering from DDD to begin with.
Old 08-13-04, 10:48 PM

I only used them once. Well, tried to use them. i ordered a cd from them, got my initial confirmation then they apparently lost the order or something. I never got the cd, but they never charged me at least. I just decided to go elsewhere rather than re-ordering it from them.