Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The customer is always right? Not anymore (Best Buy)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The customer is always right? Not anymore (Best Buy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The customer is always right? Not anymore (Best Buy)

Originally posted by Tarantino
Re-read my post. I said that I was called a dick/bad manager, I never said that you called me that.
Just wanted to clarify that . One of my favorite details in retail management is clean up duty on the crappiest store available. My standard line in my last assignment like that was "I was sent here to be the @sshole."
Old 08-03-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts
Re: Re: Read this...

Originally posted by shill66
NO sympathy for an impatient person trying to get preferential treatment. Loren Steffy spent more time running around from counter to counter to try and avoid the line than just getting in the damn line. And then giving up and going to Radio Shack took even more time!
I agree with you that I don't have much sympathy for her in the regards that she didn't help her own situation any (it's like parking during the holidays -- I always park as far back as I can in the lot and laugh at the people still driving around looking for a spot closer as I walk by them to enter the store).

However, I think that the frustration that she was trying to relay was that several employees were doing nothing while only one lane was open. I find this very frustrating when I encounter it . . . and yes, maybe those employees don't have register access or rights (in which case they should not be blamed), but it communicates a clear lack of good management to present a situation like that.
Old 08-03-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.
Jeez...that is a 16 mile round trip for the poor delivery driver. I hope you tip well.

They are probably quoting you such an excessive time to encourage you to either pick-up your order or (hopefully this isn't the case) call elsewhere.
I do, generally, unless the delivery person's a jerk. And they usually give me my pizza out of a box that is holding multiple pizzas, so I know I'm not the only one out there to be ordering pizza.
Actually, I overestimated--according to mapblast.com, the farther one is only 5 miles away one way.

The long delivery time is *usually* on a Friday or Saturday night, which I kind of expect. And sometimes it does convince me to pick up, or call somewhere else. Which I would think would be a bad thing, convincing your customers to go somewhere else.

Which brings up a side question:
If I'm in their delivery area [which I am], and they offer 'free delivery', why should I be concerned with how far it is? If it's too far, they will change their delivery zone; if it's busy, odds are there will be someone else somewhere nearby ordering pizza; if it's not busy, then the driver at least gets *some* business [and tips] rather than none.
Again, I do tip well, both drivers and in-store servers, assuming the service is at least good; but just discussing the principles here. It could be argued that tipping delivery drivers is like tipping waiters, and is subsidizing the business for offering a 'feature' that they don't have to pay for [or don't pay much for.]
Old 08-04-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dtcarson
Which brings up a side question:
If I'm in their delivery area [which I am], and they offer 'free delivery', why should I be concerned with how far it is? If it's too far, they will change their delivery zone; if it's busy, odds are there will be someone else somewhere nearby ordering pizza; if it's not busy, then the driver at least gets *some* business [and tips] rather than none.
As long as you're tipping the driver a at least a couple bucks, then everything is good. However, if you do live exceptionally far from the delivery site [5 miles is far, but a world better than 8 miles] then you might add in an extra dollar for the driver [often times the delivery zone for a Dominos or Pizza Hut is too big, but owners aren't really concerned with a driver's bottom line]. On a 10 mile round trip, a driver is probably burning close to a half-gallon of gas, and as we all know, gas ain't cheap these days. If you are only giving the poor guy/gal a dollar, then chances are good that he/she is losing money for the privilege of delivering your dinner to your front door. And gas is only one part of the equation. Automotive wear and tear, the risk of accidents, tickets, bad weather, robbery, etc. also come with the job.
It could be argued that tipping delivery drivers is like tipping waiters, and is subsidizing the business for offering a 'feature' that they don't have to pay for [or don't pay much for.]
Absolutely true. But without tips, the cost of a meal in a restaurant or a pizza at home would be far greater than they are now. You'd be paying one way or another.
Old 08-04-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.
Absolutely true. But without tips, the cost of a meal in a restaurant or a pizza at home would be far greater than they are now. You'd be paying one way or another.
Actually, in areas where tips are bad the service generally tends to be bad because the quality of the drivers is very low. Competent drivers can make a world of difference, and the good ones go where the money is.

I have known quite a few drivers at that store as well as the manager, and they make pretty good money in that upscale area. I knew a few long-term drivers who were college grads or dropouts who had SATs over 1300 (1250 will get you into Mensa) - so don't assume they are just idiots who can't get jobs elsewhere. That type of work can attract intelligent but lazy or undisciplined people - as well as professionals working second jobs, besides the obvious college student.

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-04-04 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NCYankee
I think they are talking about the kind of customers who only show up to price match a competitor's misprinted ad, tie up 3 employees for a half hour trying to get an item well below cost, then have the nerve to complain about having wasted their time when they don't get it.
So is it all DVDTalkers, then, or only some of us?
Old 08-04-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
So is it all DVDTalkers, then, or only some of us?
If you have to ask...

When Target misprinted the $30 West Side Story SE for 2-for-$15 several weeks back, I went in as early as possible to attempt to get it. The manager refused to honor it even though they had not put up disclaimers yet (3 PMish).

The next day, I called their corporate office, and they agreed that the misprint should have been honored - so they sent me a $20 gift card.

However, I decided I would not attempt to price match at CC or BB, since IMO it is not legit and would be costing them money (cost on the disc was about $16). I do not feel at all guilty about costing Target money, since it was their mistake (the misprint AND failing to post the disclaimers which should have gone up that morning) - but to screw one of their competitors is just not my style.

Now if others wanted to attempt to do so, hoping to cash in on an incompetent BB or CC employee not catching the misprint - then that is their prerogative, but then to whine and bitch about not getting it afterwards is just childish.

Last edited by NCYankee; 08-04-04 at 02:11 PM.