Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy return problem anyone else deal with this

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a Criterion DVD from Best Buy. When I opened it to my suprise there was a Brentwood DVD in the case and the insert & catalog were missing. I returned the movie to the store and the opened a new movie and gave me the movie but did not give me the insert. I told the girl that I would like the essay booklet and she said no, and also commented that it is just a booklet. I responded it is a booklet I paid for and I would like it.

I left without the booklet and called the customer service. They said I was lucky they exchanged the movie and that I should be happy with that, they then commented my reward zone membership was set to expire and they would be more than happy to renew over the phone. I told them to check out the amount of money I spent with them on the card and see if talking to me that way is very wise.

Long story short, I bought something from them, did not receive it, they do not wish to make it right. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-03-04, 05:16 PM

It sounds like a typical BB bad experience. i never have a problem w/ bb B&M since I boycott them.
Old 07-04-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My understanding is that if you return everything inside your dvd package they are suppossed to give you everything inside the new one.

I traded my Monsters Inc. dvd twice because I thought there was a problem with the disc. On the second switch I traded the booklet because my was a little worn and the CS rep had no problem with it.

My advice. If it's still within your 30 days take the dvd back and say the booklet doesn't match the movie and ask them to either exchange the booklet or get a new dvd.
Old 07-04-04, 07:59 AM

I find it peculiar that a new dvd was opened and the contents (less the booklet) given to you. The proper procedure would have been to give you the new, unopened dvd.
Old 07-04-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's Best Buy's policy when you return a defective DVD, to open the replacement copy so that you don't leave the store with a sealed DVD that you could try to return.

As for the missing booklet and the attitude you received from customer service, that is totally uncalled for. As I see it your options are: (1) try another Best Buy; (2) contact Criterion and see if they will send you a booklet or (3) order a new copy from bestbuy.com, keep the new copy with the booklet and return the bookless copy as defective. There are some who will say that option 3 is unethical, but given the circumstances (i.e. that BB sold you a defective copy, refused to make good on it at the store, and practically ridiculed you when you tried going to corporate) I'd say that the ends justify the means--you paid good money for an item that was defective and are entitled to perfect copy with all components.
Old 07-04-04, 11:31 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As doc mentioned, I think you should try another Best Buy store, this time make sure you get the new copy right after they opened it. Alternatively, contact Criterion directly and they are usually pretty good with their customer service (exchanging defective item).
Old 07-04-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I contacted Criterion and they are sending me a booklet. Best Buy also contacted me apologizing like there is no tomorrow about the way I was treated yesterday. Best Buy said they are more than willing to complete this sale and they are contacting the manager to discuss the crappy service I received. If they follow up properly, kudos to them.
Old 07-04-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

funstan, nice to see Best Buy (supposedly) taking responsibility.
Old 07-04-04, 04:26 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

funstan, good for you. I guess when BB looked at your previous purchases in your RZ membership, they realized they made a mistake pissing you off, so they are trying to make it good instead of sending you to CC or other stores
Old 07-05-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More power to you.
Old 07-12-04, 11:17 PM

Best Buy instore reps SUCK. And you CANNOT renew over the phone. I work at that phone line. Renewals have to be done instore. I would like to kill some of those reps with the info they give customers, that they in turn call us with