Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is there a petition to sign on half.com closing?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-05-04, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I for one am very pissed at Ebay closing half.com soon. I have bought dozens of used DVD's and books on half where i got my favorite sellers bookmarked and love that $1.49 shipping fee for the second DVD purchased from the same buyer and on.
I have bought only one DVD this year on Ebay when they gave me the $5 off coupon.Ebay is a sellers market, half.com a buyers market.
If they close half, i for one will start buying on Amazon.com or other online used stores.
Can a company actually open something similar to half.com and of course call it something different or could Ebay shut them down legally?
I mean i for one could open an auction site if i wanted too (Which would suck of course) so why couldn't a company imitate a site like half.com ?
I hate to see Ebay become a Microsoft and kill our right to a competitive online marketplace.
Is there a petition that i can sign and tell all my family members and friends to sign to ask Ebay to leave half.com open?
To finish, please no flame either if you hate or love half.com, i am starting this thread to have a nice discussion about the upcoming close of my favorite online store. I do use Ebay for other transactions and love the auction site too but not for DVD's.

Thanks to all

Patrick
Old 06-05-04, 11:45 AM

It will not do any good. Ebay is closing the sight because of a copyright violation that has already cost the company millions of dollars. It will cost them even more to keep it open.
Austin
Old 06-05-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
damn so they are closing it? I've bought a ton of stuff off buyers on there.
Old 06-05-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is there a petition to sign on half.com closing?

Originally posted by vaindioux
i am starting this thread to have a nice discussion about the upcoming close of my favorite online store.
That's why we have a "Store Forum"....

The appropriate time for any petition (not that I think it would have done any good) would have been many, many months ago when the decision was announced.
Old 06-05-04, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Austin54
Ebay is closing the sight because of a copyright violation that has already cost the company millions of dollars. It will cost them even more to keep it open.
Please explain.
Old 06-05-04, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Look in the store forum or use Google. There have been quite a few threads on this already.
Old 06-05-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Damn, how could this have slipped by? I'm a regular customer, I will miss it. All I can find is "by the end of 2004". Any more specific timeframe?
Old 06-06-04, 01:00 AM

Half.com will close on July 13th, 2004.
Old 06-06-04, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by bdhart
Half.com will close on July 13th, 2004.
Wait a minute if the site is closing July 13th. Don't you think there would be something on the site about it. I just went there and there was nothing about the closing. It's probably just some stupid internet rumour.
Old 06-06-04, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by orangeguy
Wait a minute if the site is closing July 13th. Don't you think there would be something on the site about it. I just went there and there was nothing about the closing. It's probably just some stupid internet rumour.
All you have to do is look a bit, it is on eBay and on Half:

http://pages.ebay.com/event/halftransitiontranscript/

http://half.ebay.com/include/transitionFAQ.jsp

By the way, I work for eBay so I would know if it was "some stupid internet rumour" or not.
Old 06-06-04, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have to say is "Deal With It".
Old 06-06-04, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by bdhart
All you have to do is look a bit, it is on eBay and on Half:

http://pages.ebay.com/event/halftransitiontranscript/

http://half.ebay.com/include/transitionFAQ.jsp

By the way, I work for eBay so I would know if it was "some stupid internet rumour" or not.
If the site is closing Then they should put it on the home page where everyone can see it instead of hiding it. Pretty shitty way to let people know if you asked me.
Old 06-06-04, 07:52 PM

Half.com was good for selling textbooks, are there any other sites that would be a good place to sell textbooks.
Old 06-07-04, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Is there a petition to sign? Almost certanly. This is the internet - EVERYthing on the internet has a petition about it, from kicking Bush out of office to NASA making the sky green.

Will it do a lick of good? Not in the least. Online petitions are a complete waste of time and energy. Studios and businesses never pay attention to them. Every nutjob on the planet with 30 seconds of time on their hands can set one up.
Old 06-10-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Online petitions are a complete waste of time and energy. Studios and businesses never pay attention to them. Every nutjob on the planet with 30 seconds of time on their hands can set one up.
Finally, someone that agrees with me!
Old 06-12-04, 07:04 AM

Amazon Marketplace is a good place to buy/sell textbooks

Originally posted by seabs
Half.com was good for selling textbooks, are there any other sites that would be a good place to sell textbooks.
I have had good success buying textbooks (and other books) through Amazon's Marketplace.
Old 06-12-04, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Morf
Finally, someone that agrees with me!
Oh, I've thought that way for a while now. Same with e-mail campagins to studios (about cancled TV shows and the like) - anyone with half a brain and a keyboard can set up a hotmail account and fire off a email. 30 seconds and no work whatsoever. But to physicaly get off your duff and put a letter in the mail takes time, effort and money. Studios and business respect that. They still may not do what you want, but at least it carries some weight.

Email and e-petitions arent worth the electons theyre printed on.
Old 06-12-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will now move all my used DVD orders to Spun.com and Digitaleyes.net...and sometimes Amazon.com. But I've had less luck with Amazon resellers (even though I sell there once in a while.)

I'm going to miss half.com but unless Ebay opens free posting like Half...why pay them BEFORE the sale? Then there is no way I'm moving my stuff there.

You can sometimes sell textbooks on Amazon. Sometimes.
Old 06-16-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just read an announcement on half.com that they've extended the closing from July 13 until October 14, for back to school sales.

Old 06-16-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Here's the email that I received about the new date of October 14:

Dear Seller,

We are writing to inform you that the completion date for integrating Half.com into the eBay platform has been extended from July 13 to October 14, 2004. We know that many of you have been working hard to prepare for the transition to eBay and have experienced encouraging early results. Your success drives our success, and all of us at Half and eBay truly appreciate your efforts. However, we have also heard from many of you that although the transition is going well, you would like to have the flexibility of continuing to sell on Half.com during the important back-to-school season.

Based on this feedback, we have decided to leave Half.com open until October 14. This will allow you to maximize your sales during this back-to-school season, as well as have additional time to transition your business to eBay. For those of you who have been preparing for the transition, your hard work will put you ahead of the game. We strongly encourage you to sell on both eBay and Half.com during this transition period so you can take advantage of the enhancements we have made to the eBay platform, the 105 million registered users on eBay and the upcoming eBay textbooks marketing campaign to help you realize sales results higher than ever before.

If you have questions about the date change from July 13 to October 14, please see our FAQ, attend a live Q&A session or stop by the Books, Movies, Music and Video Games booth if you are at eBay Live. We look forward to working with you to maximize your business on both eBay and Half.com in the short term and to successfully transition to eBay in the fall.

Sincerely,

Mike Aufricht
VP/GM, Half.com
Old 06-16-04, 04:45 PM

I bet about 99.9 percent of the buyers did not even
know the site was closing down.
IMO ebay has done nothing but use the half.com site
to promote ebay in the last few months.

I just wish they would have left alone the site in the
1st place.
Old 06-16-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since Half.com is extending the deadline why not just keep it open through the remainder of the year. I'm sure many sellers would like to maximize their sales during the holiday seasons as well.
Old 06-16-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I like Half.com alot. It's good news to me that they are extending the date, because I will have to make a claim on a non-delivering seller.
Old 06-17-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I like Half.com alot. It's good news to me that they are extending the date, because I will have to make a claim on a non-delivering seller.
I'm in the same boat. I still have 5 days left in the overly large 24 day "delivery window".

Great news about Half. I always go there first as I don't care for auctions.
Old 06-17-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've given up trying to sell on Ebay. During this last 10cent insertion promotion I did a search for the very items I would try to sell. The majority were getting no bids. Which means that these sellers would have to re-post their item. Obviously it would cost more to sell the item than the item is even worth.

I went through and lowered the price on every single thing I list on Half. I'm hoping to get something before the site closes down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.