Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon and UPS "signature required" delivery

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:41 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When did they start requiring signatures? Before when I ordered a couple books or what not, it was just shipped standard UPS, and the package would either get left on my door step, or at my apartments leasing office.

But I just ordered 3 books with the free shipping, and just had the signature required note on my door when I got home yesterday. Now I have to change my schedule today to be home at 5 as the next attempt is "after 5" today.

It's a big hassle, and kind of defeats one of the reasons I order online: to not have to hassle by changing my schedule to go to a store!
Old 04-14-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an option to sign the yellow receipt in order to have the UPS person leave it at your door step.
Old 04-14-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can go to the UPS website, enter the tracking number, and have it redelivered to a different address, such as your office, if you don't want to sign the yellow release slip to have the box left on your door.

The signature required thing is really left to the UPS driver's discretion, it's not an Amazon thing.
Old 04-14-04, 09:23 PM
Retired

You're right, it was just a new driver as the package didn't have the special signature required label that's on any package where the sender requested it.

Actually, the guy even crossed out the line where you an sign to have them drop it with a marker, so I couldn't do that either. But I left early today and was here to get it.

It was a new driver (at least I assume as he was very young and I hadn't seen him before) and he probably just didn't know he could just take any packages here to the leasing office if the resident isn't home.

The previous swould usually just stuck the note on my door, and said where he put the package (behind the hedge, behind my grill etc.) and took bigger stuff to the leasing office.

Oh well, hopefully it wouldn't happen again with my next package, as I just ordered something else from amazon today.

Calling or going to the website's a pain as well, as it usually takes at least 48 hours to get it redirected to another address (takes them a while to get it in the system, off the truck and on the new route etc.).
Old 04-15-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The above poster is correct...you should be able to sign the slip and tape it to your door. Or do what I do when I know a package is coming, but don't know if they are going to require a signature or not:

Get a piece of paper and write: "UPS (or FedEx or whomever), you have my permission to leave package at door" - then sign it. That's always worked for me.
Old 04-15-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPS keeps changing the rules about this. A few months ago, I was told by UPS that they wouldn't leave packages (even with a release signature) at any apartment or condo -- only at houses. Now they seem to be willing to do it again. These days, if I'm getting something from UPS, I'll just have it shipped to my office. It's too much trouble to deal with them on home deliveries.
Old 04-15-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes you just have to take it up with management at your local UPS branch; I've had drivers that outright refused to leave a package with my apartment office, even though I'd left a signed letter asking them to do so and even though the apartment office locked packages in a closet. After several requests, I finally spoke to his manager about him. That fixed the problem.
Old 04-15-04, 09:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
The above poster is correct...you should be able to sign the slip and tape it to your door. .
That's what I used to do, but this guy had entirely crossed that option out with a pen.

I just don't like UPS in general, I try to order from places that use fed ex or regular mail.
Old 04-17-04, 12:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

Oh well, hopefully it wouldn't happen again with my next package, as I just ordered something else from amazon today.
Thankfully, for whatever reason, Amazon shipped this package regular mail (it was ordered on the same super saver free shipping deal).

It came in 3 days after placing the order (as opposed to 8 or 9 days) and was waiting for me on my doorstep.

I wish they'd just use regular mail for all orders.
Old 04-17-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that I'm going to be condemned for working at UPS.

But UPS Supply Chain Solutions still manages Amazon's warehouses, so its UPS deciding which way it goes. In the end it ships whichever way that minimizes Amazon's cost while maximizing UPS's profit because Amazon pays (or did pay at one time) flat rate for all their logistics needs.

Other big account that come to mind in Nike's distribution, Papa John's delivery network, Ford's distribution by UPS Autogistics and many other customer service/repair centers.

Its not just a man/woman in brown delivering parcels anymore. UPS haters are probably not avoiding big brown as much as you believe today. Sorry
Old 04-18-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally I do not want UPS leaving packages at my door or at my leasing office.

The package is addressed to me and I expect it to be delivered to me. I would rather go to UPS to pick up my package than have them redirect it to another location like my leasing office.

So I guess they can not win no matter what they do
Old 04-18-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's weird for me. Sometimes UPS leaves it at my door, but other times they'll stick the yellow sticker on my door for redelivery the next day.
Old 04-19-04, 02:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by gcribbs

I think any place that uses UPS, should make you specify what you want done with the package during check out. They could just have two check boxes:

1. Signature Required- do not leave package if I'm not at home
2. No signature Required- leave package

For option 2, it would be the driver's discretion whether to put it on the doorstep, in the apt. office etc.

I never order expensive stuff so I don't worry much about things getting stolen. Plus I live in a pretty nice neighborhood. The only time I order online any more is pretty much books, as I can get just about anything else (cds/dvds) at least as cheap in stores.

But I just don't like the hassel. I'd rather pay a little more at Barnes and Noble (when I can stop buy anytime) than have to rearrange my schedule to get home at a certain time, or have to call and go way out of my way to pick it up at the UPS facility. So I'll be limiting my Amazon purchases in the future.
Old 04-19-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by gcribbs
Personally I do not want UPS leaving packages at my door or at my leasing office.

The package is addressed to me and I expect it to be delivered to me. I would rather go to UPS to pick up my package than have them redirect it to another location like my leasing office.

That's not a very attractive option for some people, sometimes the nearest UPS office might be 15-20 miles away. It really depend on the value of the package, and whether you'd have confidence to have said package sitting on the porch.

If you're cool with your neighbors, that's always an option as well.
Old 04-22-04, 12:42 PM
Retired

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
That's not a very attractive option for some people, sometimes the nearest UPS office might be 15-20 miles away. It really depend on the value of the package, and whether you'd have confidence to have said package sitting on the porch.
Exactly.

Plus, I just generally never order valuable stuff. I'd rather pay a little more and get instant gratification, not have to worry about when it will be delivered, if it will be damaged in shipping etc.
Old 04-22-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
UPS keeps changing the rules about this. A few months ago, I was told by UPS that they wouldn't leave packages (even with a release signature) at any apartment or condo -- only at houses. Now they seem to be willing to do it again. These days, if I'm getting something from UPS, I'll just have it shipped to my office. It's too much trouble to deal with them on home deliveries.
I rent an apartment...they've never changed the rules on me...must depend on your locale.
Old 04-23-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~

If you're cool with your neighbors, that's always an option as well.
I agree. This is why I want them to do this for my packages. I can care less what they do with other peoples packages. I even went so far as to complain to the ups office which only worked for a few months. I suspect they have me on a list now after what happened with a Dell package they decided to deliver to another location without my agreeing to it(The leasing office)

I was going to refuse the order so I made them come back to the office and get it. I told them since i had not signed for the package or authorized any third party to sign on my behalf I considered the package not delivered.

I figure if they deliver a package to my office manager and she loses it why should that be my problem since I never got the package delivered to me.

I do not know my neighbors.

By the way Josh your idea is a great one. Of course the bad thing about agreeing to allow them to leave a package is if it ends up lost or stolen after delivery. My way insures if it is lost UPS pays not me.
Old 04-24-04, 07:43 PM
Retired

Like I said, I almost never order anything valuable (usually under $30), so I have a package lost or stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Plus, my leasing office is very good with packages. The put the name on a list, and lock them in a closet. You have to show ID and sign for it when you pick it up.
Old 04-26-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I never know which it's going to be. Sometimes they leave it on my back porch, sometime they leave the note on my door to deliver another time, and sometimes my neighbor gives me my package when they see me come home.

What's weird is that sometimes they will make two deliveries. I will sign the sheet when I get home from class, and I see the next delivery is marked for the next morning. However later on, that package will be delivered again. I think that's nice of them to make a second attempt, if they don't have to.