Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning Big-Ticket Items

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a digital camera for Xmas (Sony DSC-P72, $269.99) as a gift. Which is great, except that I just had gotten an even better one, so I want to return the Sony.

It was ordered online (in Chicago, I am in LA) from Circuit City, and he gave me the receipt. The only problem is that he ordered it 12/20/03, and it's now been nearly 2 months.

I realize that if they do anything, they'll give me store credit. While I don't want that either, I figure that it would be easier to sell on ebay with less risk of major loss (I've only used ebay one time for a purchase, but I've been monitoring it a bit). But since it has been 60+ days, what are the chances they will even do that for me? Would I be better going somewhere else and claiming no receipt? Or should I just try the ebay route (with only a 1+ rating) and take my chances?

Since it isn't something small like a DVD, I assume that CC, like most places, won't want to take it back without a fight. What experiences have you all had returning big-ticket items?
Old 02-21-04, 12:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Good luck. Usually within 30 days, your good to go...but 2 months is nearly impossible. Not only is it past there return limit, but i'm sure that camera is now a lower price. Most likley they will just give you store credit, not cash.
Old 02-22-04, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt they'd even give you store credit. They've clamped down on their return policy in the past 6 months. But let me know what they do, I know at least with a $15.00 unopened DVD they refused to do anything.
Old 02-24-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Do you know anyone who has a high feedback account that would be willing to sell it for you under their name? You could possibly try that.

Also I think that at Best Buy returns for digital cameras are 14 or 15 days with a restocking fee so I wouldn't even bother trying although I don't know CC's policy.