Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

problem checking out at amazon.com

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-17-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been having problem checking out their carts at amazon.com? Everytime I tried to checkout from amazon.com, it gives me an error message. I can't buy anything from amazon.com as of 12:30am on Jan 17th. I hope someone else is also having this problem so I know it's not a problem with my browser.
Old 01-17-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Working for me just a few minutes ago.
Old 01-17-04, 08:37 AM

Argh! I wonder what's wrong with my IE6 browser this time. I was able to checkout just a few days ago when I bought something from amazon.
Old 01-17-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention I was using an Avant Browser last night.
Old 01-17-04, 02:43 PM

I just installed Netscape 7.1 and I'm having the same problem when I tried to checkout from amazon.com. I put stuff on my cart, then press 'proceed to checkout'. Then it asked me for my account and password. After I entered the info, I get the following error message:

--
We're sorry!
An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. If you were trying to make a purchase, please check Your Account to confirm that the order was placed. We apologize for the inconvenience.
--

I sent an email to amazon.com customer service and they replied and said my password needed to be reset. So I did that and the same error still pop up when I tried to checkout.

Since this problem occur on both IE6 and Netscape 7, I think I can rule out my browser having the problem. I think the problem is either my PC or amazon's system. I will try to find another computer to checkout to see if it's my own computer that is the cause.
Old 01-17-04, 05:06 PM

I just tried and successfully purchased some stuff on amazon.com from another PC that I was unable to checkout when I tried on my home PC. I think either amazon fixed the problem or there is something goofy with my home PC. I'll have to check into it.

Why am I having so much problem with my home PC? I bought it less than a year ago from Dell and already I had to do the full reinstall of the OS and apps twice.

Last edited by mookiemeister; 01-17-04 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same thing here. I also cannot view my past orders, get the same message, or when I use their contact us page and hit continue, same message.
Old 01-18-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been fine for me within the past 12 hours. This has happened to me two or three times over the past 5 years, and it was always just a temporary thing, though not always short in duration. IIRC, there was nothing I had to do specifically but wait for it to get fixed.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-04, 03:09 PM

Thanks for responding, guys. It's good to know the problem is not on my PC. Last night I was able to sneak in an order at amazon.com successfully. I even got a confirmation email from amazon. Then I checked their web site and saw that my newest order appeared in my account. Then today I went back to check again. Guess what? My account at amazon no longer show the order I just placed last night. I sent another email to amazon describing the latest glitch. I hope my new order is being processed even if it's not displayed on 'my account' page at amazon.
Old 01-18-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm...seems like this is happening across the board:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=341895
Old 01-19-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe they were doing a server/application fix. An order I placed yesterday morning did not show up in order status until this morning. Everything on it appears correct, though.
So much for for high availability.
Old 01-19-04, 06:10 PM

it's a known issue. a correction though. if it were a server/application fix, it would happen across the board. this is hit and miss and their sysops are trying to figure out where it's happening.

right now, they're having issues with gift certificates and ordering from a wishlist. i got the same error ordering off of my wishlist but, when i added the item from the site and not from my wishlist, i was able to order just fine.
Old 01-19-04, 08:24 PM

I am still getting We're sorry, but due to routine maintenance, this function of the site is temporarily unavailable. Thank you for your patience, and for shopping at Amazon.com.this sucks.I was going to order a dvd player for my uncle for his birthday.any suggestions? I even tried opera and a different computer. thank you for help in advance.
Old 01-19-04, 10:31 PM

first things first - clear your cookies and your cache. then make sure the item isn't coming off of a wishlist.

try that and see if it helps any.