Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Misleads Customers By Using The Copyright Law To Justify Their Return Policy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy Misleads Customers By Using The Copyright Law To Justify Their Return Policy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard this yet, but if it is going on in more than a few stores in different states then there maybe some validity to it. Of course every state has it's own law so you may be justified in checking into your's before you go contacting someone higher up.
Old 01-24-04, 01:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
If you buy something from Best Buy, and its cracked/scratched, you should be able to return it FOR THE SAME TITLE...within a short amount of time. If you wait 1-2 weeks, there is no saying that you didn't scratch or crack that DVD.
Old 01-24-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with you in principle, GizmoDVD, but in reality this isn't always the case. I bought a stack of movies about three weeks ago and I've only watched one out of the stack. But I know I don't plan on returning any and I already opened all of them to check for scratches.

On a side note, I bought Monsters Inc and would only get an oppurtunity to watch the first hour or so before something would come up and I'd turn it off. Well, my nieces and nephews came over and I played the movie for them. Damn if one of the chapters doesn't play at all. No scratches or smears. I'm stuck with a bad disc and nothing I can do about it.
Old 01-24-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I haven't heard this yet, but if it is going on in more than a few stores in different states then there maybe some validity to it. Of course every state has it's own law so you may be justified in checking into your's before you go contacting someone higher up.
Federal Copyright Law applies to all states. No state law can override it.

Regardless, I think the retail chains using this excuse are all drinking the same Kool-aid - maybe they all went to the same trade show. Doesn't mean they're right. Bad legal advice runs rampant, especially when it come to Copyright Law. What the law really means gets hashed out in the courts. And I haven't heard of a copyright holder taking a retail chain to court for exchanging a customer's copy of Alien for L.A. Confidential.

In a way it's a perfect excuse. I can claim I'm forbidden to wash my hair on Sunday because I'll get sued. Well, I don't wash my hair on Sunday, and I never get sued - it works!
Old 01-24-04, 08:05 PM

I can claim I'm forbidden to wash my hair on Sunday because I'll get sued. Well, I don't wash my hair on Sunday, and I never get sued - it works!

Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you dear.