Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD: So-called "New" DVDs with THICK BLACK MAGIC MARKER stripe? Anyone else?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD: So-called "New" DVDs with THICK BLACK MAGIC MARKER stripe? Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Thanks for the link. That thread should be a sticky.
Now that is funny LASER. That's exactly what I just posted, having discovered it 10 minutes ago ha ha.

I entirely agree with you. The vast majority of people are blissfully ignorant.

PEACH-OLA
Old 01-28-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miss Peach, ever get this one straightened out with DDD or Fox?
Old 01-28-04, 07:59 PM

Miss Peach, ever get this one straightened out with DDD or Fox?
No. I called the number you provided for FOX and it was an answering machine instructing me to leave a message. That was about one week ago, no return call.

As for DDD, I just got an email from Mr. Mejorado saying "I'm surprised you never emailed me back . . ." (?) I wrote him back the same day that he first emailed me so I just re-sent my response (today) a second time.

I've cooled my jets considerably on this issue LASER — not that I think it's right to ship marked product, I don't . . . but this issue of the missing music in Cleopatra was FOX's responsibility first, if that makes any sense. I'm less angry with DDD than I am with FOX at this point.

My judgment on DDD has settled this way:

If I were to buy another "pricey" ($10 or over) DVD from DDD, the first thing I would do is leap on over to that thread here in the Forum that lists the damaged DVD's and see if my title is anywhere on that list. If it was, I would contact the studio and make sure in advance that they would guarantee replacing it at their expense. Where Cleopatra is concerned, I suppose I am just screwed — not by DDD but by FOX whose name shall live in infamy after this event. Had I known in advance that FOX deliberately avoids the customer, won't recall defective product, and won't even have the courtesy of replacing it even when it is . . . I would never have ordered Cleopatra — from DDD or anyone else. It just offends me to no end that a studio as large as FOX can't staff a bank of phones with customer support people.

Now, as I mentioned previously, Cleopatra was the only product I received from DDD with the markings — the other 9 DVDs I received were in excellent condition, really I could not have asked for them to be cleaner or more perfect.

I guess I'll sum it up this way: This was a learning experience for me — more in discovering that these DVDs are sometimes issued with defects and not subsequently recalled than anything else. I would approach any order with DDD, remembering to first vet the title for any possible bugs, and then planning on the item taking a month to arrive. It is an imperfect response to your question LASER because I now have been educated that this media is prone to errors — something I didn't realize, and which surprised me to be perfectly frank.

If I wasn't in any hurry for the product and I screened it on the forum in advance for possible defects yes I would order again. I am very pleased with my other purchases, especially West Side Story which, when I opened the DDD box, just took my breath away it is such a gorgeous product!

MISS PEACH
Old 01-29-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. I called the number you provided for FOX and it was an answering machine instructing me to leave a message. That was about one week ago, no return call.
I don't know when you called but I just got off the phone with a Fox CSR just a few minutes ago regarding a problem I'm having with another Fox DVD (Alien). I also asked them about the Cleopatra DVD and they are still replacing the defective disc if you contact them at the number I listed earlier. I would suggest giving Fox another call when you have the time. Their hours are from 8AM-5 PM (Pacific Time) during the week. I assume they are closed on the weekends.
Old 01-29-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have called Fox many times and have never gotten a message machine.
Old 01-29-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never gotten a used DVD from DDD before. But I had other problems with DDD. Discs would arrive with broken case and discs all scratched up. And it took them 2 weeks to sent out a pre-paid return postage that was in an envelope. Sheesh, it should take no more than 3 days to send a normal letter using 1st class right?

I also encounter another problem with DDD before in that they sent out shipping notice that 2 copies of a DVD was shipped to me even though I only bought one. The confirmation email even showed that I bought only 1 copy of a DVD. Then I asked for them to sent out a pre-paid return postage for 2nd DVD when I got the shipping notice email, but before the DVD arrive. Guess what? When the DVD arrive, there was only 1 copy, not two. And then on the DDD web site, they indicated they were going to charge me for 2 copies of that DVD. The order status has been in this limbo state for months now, with the web page showing they are still in the process of charging my account.

I didn't have the same problem as you from DDD, but I did encounter exactly the same problem from DVD Empire. I received used DVD from them even though it's suppose to be new. It was still in the shrink wrap. When I open the case, the disc is still in the tray, but when I looked in the back, the disc is all scratched up with tons of fingerprints. It wouldn't even play properly on my DVD player. Who would put a defective disc that's obviously used into a case then re-shrinkwrap it?
Old 01-30-04, 12:52 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I didn't have the same problem as you from DDD, but I did encounter exactly the same problem from DVD Empire. I received used DVD from them even though it's suppose to be new. It was still in the shrink wrap. When I open the case, the disc is still in the tray, but when I looked in the back, the disc is all scratched up with tons of fingerprints. It wouldn't even play properly on my DVD player. Who would put a defective disc that's obviously used into a case then re-shrinkwrap it?
It could be the factory that did a piss poor job packaging the DVDs (aka Alien Quadrilogy fiasco). Lots of people having scratched discs or discs strained with fingerprints with their Quadrilogy set. It would seem like the factory employed a bunch of 3 year old's putting the discs in the set
Old 01-30-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mookiemeister

I have purchased many DVDs from DVDEmpire but never encountered any used or re-shrinkwrapped discs. Are you sure it was re-wrapped? Was it missing the usual security tape found on most new DVDs? I have received a few factory sealed discs that didn't look new.
Old 01-31-04, 11:14 AM

I don't know when you called but I just got off the phone with a Fox CSR just a few minutes ago regarding a problem I'm having with another Fox DVD (Alien). I also asked them about the Cleopatra DVD and they are still replacing the defective disc if you contact them at the number I listed earlier. I would suggest giving Fox another call when you have the time. Their hours are from 8AM-5 PM (Pacific Time) during the week. I assume they are closed on the weekends.
HUH? I absolutely did call them during business hours. And I assure you the recorded message was for FOX STUDIOS Customer Service.

What the ~

I'll try again Monday. Honestly this gets to be ridiculous.

MISS PEACH
Old 01-31-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
HUH? I absolutely did call them during business hours. And I assure you the recorded message was for FOX STUDIOS Customer Service.

What the ~

I'll try again Monday. Honestly this gets to be ridiculous.

MISS PEACH
Maybe you called when they were on a break or at lunch. However one word of caution though is the woman CSR (don't recall her name) I talked with the other day had a bit of an attitude, and seemed a little angry for some reason. During our conversation I never said or did anything to provoke her, but her underlying anger was evident at the beginning of the call. I read on another thread that someone had a similar experience recently with a CSR when they called Fox. That may also explain why your first call wasn't returned if this is the person answering the phones, and this is their normal behavior. Oh well, hopefully you can get through Monday.