Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

___ Best Buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F___ Best Buy!!!

In recent months Best Buy has been going strait down hill. They haven't had a decent sale in quite a long time and for the past 4 weeks strait they haven't had certain New Releases.

Today I got really pissed, I went there only wanting one thing... Beyond Re-Animator.

Every associate I asked looked at me like I was speeking a different language, and two of them took me to the Animated section to look.

Is it too much to ask, for them to get the release out on Tuesday???
Old 12-30-03, 10:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only fanatics from this forum have a clue what 'Beyond Reanimator' is ...

I'm not saying that Best Buy shouldnt carry it, but ...

To expect the masses to know what that title is, is stretching it quite a bit.
Old 12-30-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite recent experience has been going to pick up DS9: Season 6+7. The week that 7 came out, they had all the seasons on sale.

First Best Buy did not have ANY Season 7's. At all. It's release day, it's on sale, and Best Buy has an exclusive bonus DVD. But this store had ZERO. I asked and they checked. None in inventory. "The release must have been delayed or something."

Second Best Buy had Season 7, but had no other seasons on the shelf. They literally had 7 different sale signs hanging up (one for each season), with only the last season box sitting there. I picked up 7 and asked if they had 6 anywhere. The system showed that they had five of them "out back somewhere" and the sales drone acted like I was insane for (a) dropping nearly $200 on the show and (b) expecting them to have product under a sales sign.

He goes out back and amazingly, only comes out with ONE Season 6 box and hands it to me. The logically thing would be to bring all five of them out onto the floor, maybe with some of the other seasons as well... but no, that makes too much sense. Better to cut down on sales by not having stuff out and making those who really want it wait 15 minutes for them to 'find them out back'.

Anyway, I agree. Best Buy wasn't great to begin with, but they seem to be going amazingly down hill for about 6 months now (around the time of the web site 'improvements'). They seem to be hiring 16-year-olds who don't like their jobs and don't care about their customers.
Old 12-30-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i agree that BB is horrible, but this should be in the store forum...
Old 12-30-03, 10:15 AM

Best Buy has been getting worse and worse over the last 6months - year. It started with their anime section, now it is almsot a given that they will not have a good amount (if any) of the new anime releases on the shelf on tuesday. Now it is creeping into the regular releases too.
Old 12-30-03, 10:19 AM

I hate to say it, but clerks should be informed of titles and genres so they can be better prepared to help customers. Every time I'm at Best Buy, I noticed they are stocking less and less fringe/cult/horror titles in favor of THE HULK, LEGALLY BLONDE 2 and the like. It might be guaranteed money for them, but it makes for really uninteresting/cookie-cutter stock.
Old 12-30-03, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Best Buy is a mass market store. It's probably the worst place to buy cult titles. If a lesser-known DVD isn't in their ad, don't expect on the shelf until Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 12-30-03, 10:27 AM
JM1

I think there is no excuse when a store clerk looks at you like you are from another planet when you ask for a DVD that may not be in the top 30.

This reminds me of the old days shopping for records in the local Woolworths store in the town I lived in. If it was not top 20, you were out of luck. And the looks they gave you when you asked for something unusual (which I did, frequently) was like they had just scraped you off their shoe.

Anyway, (being from UK where we don't have Best Buys), is there not a counter you can go to that you can ask at where they can check their stock on their PC? That's what most large stores do.

Personally, I would never ask the guy stacking the CD's in the aisles.
Old 12-30-03, 10:31 AM

My beef is that, aside from S.W.A.T. & the Sex In The City season nothing else was well know that came out today. And it really boiled my ass when I saw they had SIX COPIES of Belly Of The Beast... The new Steven Segal gem. Hell they didn't even have any of The Order, and that had a theater run.

OK I'm done, no more bitching for the day.
Old 12-30-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F___ using the right forum!
Old 12-30-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: F___ Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by mikewendt
In recent months Best Buy has been going strait down hill. They haven't had a decent sale in quite a long time and for the past 4 weeks strait they haven't had certain New Releases.

Today I got really pissed, I went there only wanting one thing... Beyond Re-Animator.

Every associate I asked looked at me like I was speeking a different language, and two of them took me to the Animated section to look.

Amazingly I found Beyond Re-Animator at my Best Buy and purchased the only copy they had..........over a week ago
Old 12-30-03, 11:08 AM
Banned

It's not just Best Buy, how about Blockbuster when it comes to finding these dvds for rent.
How come there hasn't been some store that comes out that sells & rents everything that comes out on dvd?
Old 12-30-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My local Worst Buy never has new releases on release day. They even change the pre-printed signs with hand written magic marker!

Why is this news?
Old 12-30-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on, they're just dumb kids (not that all kids are dumb, just most of the ones that work there). Half of them couldn't find their own asses with two hands and a flashlight. BB is nice because its cheap, but I don't go in expecting much from the service. They're rapidly becoming the Wal-Mart of consumer electronics.
Old 12-30-03, 11:14 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by JM1
I think there is no excuse when a store clerk looks at you like you are from another planet when you ask for a DVD that may not be in the top 30.
There are many of thousands of titles out on DVD. Should all employees of electronic stores be familiar with every one of them?
Old 12-30-03, 11:15 AM
Retired

I have no problem with Best Buy. I have mainstream tastes, so they always have what I want, and their release date prices on new releases usually can't be beat. If there is a better price it's not problem to price match it.
Old 12-30-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
There are many of thousands of titles out on DVD. Should all employees of electronic stores be familiar with every one of them?
No. But they should at least know what DVDs are released on Tuesdays.
Old 12-30-03, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Sure, at a DVD specialty shop...which Best Buy certainly isn't. I think it's a bit much to expect minimum wage part time workers to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all new items in inventory in a store as big as Best Buy.
Old 12-30-03, 11:45 AM

Most of these BB associates are kids who in the main don't give a hoot about what they are selling (not all, but most). All they want is that pay check at the end of the week. This is why I find buying on line a much more "pleasurable" expereince. You don't have to put up with them not knowing anything and can just browse at your leisure.
Old 12-30-03, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Sure, at a DVD specialty shop...which Best Buy certainly isn't. I think it's a bit much to expect minimum wage part time workers to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all new items in inventory in a store as big as Best Buy.
I would agree somewhat, but if it is the section of the store that they work in, they should know a little something about it. The store is large, but the employees are assigned to areas of it.

The problem is more with the company and not the employees. Sure the employees are dumb for the most part, but from what I hear BB is not a good place to work. They treat the employees like crap supposedly. Understandable why they wouldn't care about the product then.
Old 12-30-03, 11:47 AM

...the fact that they haven't had a decent sale in recent memory may very well lend credence to Forbes Magazine naming Best Buy company of the year... the company makes LOTS of $$$$$$$$$
Old 12-30-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
It's not just Best Buy, how about Blockbuster when it comes to finding these dvds for rent.
One word, dude - NETFLIX

Besides, BlockBuster has NEVER carried anything unrated because they are a "family" video store.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-30-03 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 12:10 PM
Retired

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Bah, I think that's the consumers responsibility.

I don't like to even talk to employees when shopping. I know what I want, I'm competent enough to find it or determine it's not in stock, and that way I get in and get out in minutes.
Old 12-30-03, 12:13 PM

The employees should know what's in the ad, and the related promos around those items. But an item where there's one, maybe two copies on the shelf?
Old 12-30-03, 12:16 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

BB has a computer inventory. Next time just ask them to look and see if it's in stock...and in what section.

I'd also suggest you quit treating the employees like idiots, since most will be all too willing to act the part. Treat them nicely and you might be surprised by how much smarter they are.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.