Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

___ Best Buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Bah, I think that's the consumers responsibility.

I don't like to even talk to employees when shopping. I know what I want, I'm competent enough to find it or determine it's not in stock, and that way I get in and get out in minutes.
I rarely will deal with employees. Unfortunately there has been a trend of late, especially with Best Buy, where they don't like to put their stock on the shelves. 7 out of 10 times that I have asked for something it has been in the back. So IMO you can't accurately tell if something is in fact in stock (atleast in BB) without checking the computer.
Old 12-30-03, 12:28 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, occasionally you have to talk to someone. I've never had a problem at best buy though. Just ask them to look it up in the computer and you're good to go.
Old 12-30-03, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Bah, I think that's the consumers responsibility.

I don't like to even talk to employees when shopping. I know what I want, I'm competent enough to find it or determine it's not in stock, and that way I get in and get out in minutes.

I agree with you Josh... I have always gone into Best Buy knowing what I want and where it should be...If the item isn't there, I will ask an employee to check the stock on the computer and if it is'nt available, I will move on to the next store..

Best Buy is my favorite place to buy DVDs and I never depend on the employees for anything. When they ask if I need help finding anything, I tell them I've got it covered.
Old 12-30-03, 12:32 PM

Just ask them to look it up in the computer and you're good to go.
Except when you have to spell out the simplest of words. I swear some people just don't even try.
Old 12-30-03, 12:37 PM
Retired

Originally posted by fnordboy
Except when you have to spell out the simplest of words. I swear some people just don't even try.
Do you go to a store in a ghetto area or something? I never have any problems at the Best Buy in Laurel, MD. However, the Circuit City in Beltsville is pretty ghetto, with half the employees speaking in ebonics, so I could see having spelling problems there. I just avoid that store like the plague, in addition to the lame employees, the selection sucks. Especially for music, they have like 10 rows of rap/rb and 2 of rock.
Old 12-30-03, 12:37 PM

Besides, BlockBuster has NEVER carried anything unrated because they are a "family" video store.
You are right, they NEVER carry anything unrated.....err....except for American Pie, oh wait, and American Pie 2, and American Wedding, and The Sweetest Thing, and Boat Trip, and Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Old School, and Van Wilder, True Romance.......
Old 12-30-03, 12:48 PM

Do you go to a store in a ghetto area or something? I never have any problems at the Best Buy in Laurel, MD. However, the Circuit City in Beltsville is pretty ghetto, with half the employees speaking in ebonics, so I could see having spelling problems there. I just avoid that store like the plague, in addition to the lame employees, the selection sucks. Especially for music, they have like 10 rows of rap/rb and 2 of rock.
The store is not located in a ghetto, but the surrounding areas are (where all the workers come from and where I live). I have this problem in most of the stores in this area. The local Circuit City is the worst offender though, that store is just plain awful. What kills me is I live/lived in the same towns these kids went to and went through the same school system. I just don't get it.
Old 12-30-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Sure, at a DVD specialty shop...which Best Buy certainly isn't. I think it's a bit much to expect minimum wage part time workers to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all new items in inventory in a store as big as Best Buy.
Well I guess that's why they will remain minimum wage workers. They aren't willing to put in the effort to "rise above".
Old 12-30-03, 12:58 PM
Retired

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Well I guess that's why they will remain minimum wage workers. They aren't willing to put in the effort to "rise above".
You're never going to "rise above" at Best Buy.

It's just a job for high school kids and the unskilled to make a little money. Cut them some slack. We've all had crappy jobs we didn't give two shits about at some point I'm sure.
Old 12-30-03, 12:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Most of them are probably students and such, who are just in the job temporarily. Knowing the location of every obscure DVD at Best Buy isn't going to beef up their resume.

You guys want First Class service at Ghetto prices.

Want to go someplace where they will know if Beyond Re-Animator is in stock without looking? Try a mom and pop or Suncoast.
Old 12-30-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You guys want First Class service at Ghetto prices
Some of us would simply like to be treated with respect in exchage for US Currency.

This store is a blight on the world of consumer electronics. And if their earnings are to be believed they could care less what the customers think.
Old 12-30-03, 01:02 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Some of us would simply like to be treated with respect in exchage for US Currency.
In my experience, with some exceptions, it helps if you treat the employees with the same respect your expecting to receive.
Old 12-30-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i never go to BB if I am looking for a specific title or a sale item... they are simply never there so I dont bother. I do like going there to browse though, since they have more tv season sets and the like than most stores around me do. just my 2 cents.

j
Old 12-30-03, 01:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In my experience, with some exceptions, it helps if you treat the employees with the same respect your expecting to receive.
No kidding. In thread after thread here I see people bragging about throwing a fit at the Best Buy and acting rudely. Then they wonder why they don't get good service?

It sounded like the folks tried to help the original poster, but they couldn't find the DVD. Perhaps it was sold out, perhaps it hadn't come in yet. But it does sound like they tried to help and didn't just blow him off.

What's funny is everybody who hates Best Buy keeps going there again and and again. Stop bitching about it on the internet and find a different store.
Old 12-30-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having worked in retailing for more years than I care to remember I always treat sales people with respect.

I believe that the culture of that store is one of "sales first" and customer service be damned. This is based on the way I have been treated by their employees.
Old 12-30-03, 01:17 PM
Retired

I believe that the culture of that store is one of "sales first" and customer service be damned. This is based on the way I have been treated by their employees.
Fair enough. I suggest taking Groucho's advice and putting your money where your mouth is then.

Originally posted by Groucho

What's funny is everybody who hates Best Buy keeps going there again and and again. Stop bitching about it on the internet and find a different store.
Old 12-30-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. I suggest taking Groucho's advice and putting your money where your mouth is then.
I do.

The only reason I go in there is to see what they have, see what it looks like and then go elsewhere to beat their prices.

I wish more people would do the same!
Old 12-30-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having worked in retailing for more years than I care to remember I always treat sales people with respect.
As have I. I know what its like to be on the working end of the retail enviroment and i try not to be the usual asses that frequent places.

It has been like this for almost 4 years now. Meetings are based on training to sell service plans and accessories because thats where the money is made.

And the reason some of the employee's dont try is because Best Buy offers little reason to try other than selling stuff. You do not get priased for selling 35 Star Trek box sets but you do get a pat on the ass if you sell $800 worth of CD holders in 1 hour.
Old 12-30-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have no problem with Best Buy. I have mainstream tastes, so they always have what I want, and their release date prices on new releases usually can't be beat. If there is a better price it's not problem to price match it.
I totally agree. And i think it is silly to get upset over a rather obscure title. Not carrying the bigger releases is one thing, but to me this is like getting upset because they dont have the 2 disc Ichi the Killer. Ordering online is your friend
Old 12-30-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Re: F___ Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by laserdogg
Amazingly I found Beyond Re-Animator at my Best Buy and purchased the only copy they had..........over a week ago
Same situation, even though I didn't pick up a copy... the Best Buy I go to had several copies last week.

If Best Buy has it, fine... if not, I go to one of my other sources. It's not enough to blow an aorta over.
Old 12-30-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"If a lesser-known DVD isn't in their ad, don't expect on the shelf until Wednesday or Thursday."

Or ever IMHO. BB has gone down the shitter fast. Really a shame if you ask me. I've resorted to putting Walmart on speed dail and checking on price and availability before even going in that direction. Seems to be the best way to do it these days as BB never has what I want, their telephone system is a joke, and their prices suck a$$!! Oh and yeah.....they never had service.
Old 12-30-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: F___ Best Buy!!!

Originally posted by laserdogg
Amazingly I found Beyond Re-Animator at my Best Buy and purchased the only copy they had..........over a week ago
that burned only one person in this city...ME!!! you bastard.
Old 12-30-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by wm lopez
It's not just Best Buy, how about Blockbuster when it comes to finding these dvds for rent.
How come there hasn't been some store that comes out that sells & rents everything that comes out on dvd?
...problem is that whenever an idependent store tries to stock everything that comes out the prices would go a bit up. They have to(the independents) survive and therefore their prices could not be bottom or worse under the "attracttive" price offered by say BestBuy (which we all know sells the so-called loss generating items).

Now, I am not sure why people keep bitching about this issue. I am not defending BestBuy. In fact I dont remember the last time I bought something from them BUT.....

You either will have to pay a bit more (not much...in my area up to 2-3$ more than BestBuy) and support the local Mom/Pop store or go to BestBuy and get the mundane Tuesday Hollywood junk.

....because I clearly can remember the last time when on this forum people were swearing that no matter what the selection they would go for the rock-bottom price not service and selection (if I could recall correctly only Gutwrencher had a different opinion....but he is a true collector so it does not count )

...as they say...you have to pick your poison.....

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-30-03 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 02:32 PM
Banned

The best b&m place intended for the masses for cult flix would be Borders. Of course, they won't have them on the opening release date, nor are they the best bargain... But if you need to immediately satisfy the urge, the place to go to would be Borders (again, barring new releases)...
Old 12-30-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience at Best Buy is usually no different than my experience at any other large store. They frequently have sales on music (maybe not DVDs)... I've only had a couple bad experiences there (like any other store).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.