Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy- what the hell?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy- what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy- what the hell?

I had to share this with someone. I got a $100 gift card from a friend and decided to get the Alien Quadrilogy, even after reading on some forums here that some stores raise their prices after Christmas because of people rapidly redeeming their gift cards. I saw it online at Best Buy for $74.99, I know it isnt the best price but hey, its a gift certificate, but it doesnt mean it doesnt hurt to waste that much. First off, the one i grab has no price so I ask a salesperson, he takes it and THROWS it to someone else, who DROPS it. Im like, that isnt the one I'm taking home but it still seemed like a jackass move. The guy says its $95, after the price hits me I question if they price match their own website's price, he tells me no. After fuming for a bit I find another guy and he tells me they do match the online price of their own website. He goes the extra mile of grabbing me a box set to check it out, and wouldnt you know it, the one he grabs has the price of $84.99 on it, still $10 over the online price, but hey, the guy is cool and checks out the web site on THEIR own sales kiosk and it says $84.99. I'm like, that site just said $74.99 near midnight last night but hey, it was cheaper than $95 and my morning was stressful enough so I made my way to the line a beaten man and went home. Something nagged me all the way home about checking the site on another computer in the store, hell, even going into a PC Richard I was passing and checking the site there but I just went home. The minute I get home I go online and check the Best Buy site, wouldnt you know it, it's still $74.99!! Im so pissed but cant make it back til tomorrow, Im not across the street from the Best Buy. Needless to say i printed out the page and will be RETURNING the set tomorrow for a refund. Id rather get the sequel WAY cheaper somewhere else and use the gift card for New Releases, the only time Best Buy seems to have decent prices. Anyone reading this, thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by harosa; 12-28-03 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sweet deal! I picked up two!
Old 12-28-03, 05:21 PM

The prices that you get shown in store on BestBuy.com don't always match what you see at home. As an example, I had the opposite experience from harosa just before Christmas. From my house I found a Sony camcorder that was priced at $499. I went to the store and the shelf tag showed $399 although they didn't have any in stock. When I went to the website in store it showed the price as $399. Back home the price on the site was still $499. They must be accessing a customized version of the site in store where the prices reflect store prices and don't show any online only deals.
Old 12-28-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Thats why you should order from the website, and use in store pickup, if a price is cheaper
Old 12-28-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a slightly similar story. I went there Friday to use my $40 in gift cards and price match Fry's $50 Alien ad. 1st person I spoke to said they can match it, but I have to have the ad...which I didnt. I walked next door and the nice people at Office Depot downloaded and printed me Frys ad for free. So, I strolled back to Best Buy, ad in hand. 1st person again says it should be fine and I go wait in line. 2nd person, the checkout guy, says he has to check with a manager since the price is $30 different. 3rd guy, Manager looks over the ad (which stated 44 hours of bonus features), then looks at the dvd and says "Its not the same thing...ours has 50 hours of features". I tell him there is only 1 Alien Quadrilogy...he looks at me, says "I'm done" and walks away. I catch him, and ask to speak to his manager...the main person in charge of the store. 4th person, store leader nazi, says it is not the same set as Frys and will not sign it. I then toss the dvds and ad at him, and tell him that he can go put them back. He replies with "real mature a**hole" in front of about 20 customers. We start swearing back and forth a bit and I finally walk out. Long live Best Buty and their horrible service.
Old 12-28-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

stingermck, I wish I could do that but since its a Gift Card im ass out in that regard.
Old 12-28-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Best Buy- what the hell?

Originally posted by harosa
First off, the one i grab has no price so I ask a salesperson, he takes it and THROWS it to someone else, who DROPS it. Im like, that isnt the one I'm taking home but it still seemed like a jackass move.
lol. that made me laugh for some reason. i hope it works out for you though. seems like you got a raw deal on that one.
Old 12-28-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by discostu1337
I have a slightly similar story. I went there Friday to use my $40 in gift cards and price match Fry's $50 Alien ad. 1st person I spoke to said they can match it, but I have to have the ad...which I didnt. I walked next door and the nice people at Office Depot downloaded and printed me Frys ad for free. So, I strolled back to Best Buy, ad in hand. 1st person again says it should be fine and I go wait in line. 2nd person, the checkout guy, says he has to check with a manager since the price is $30 different. 3rd guy, Manager looks over the ad (which stated 44 hours of bonus features), then looks at the dvd and says "Its not the same thing...ours has 50 hours of features". I tell him there is only 1 Alien Quadrilogy...he looks at me, says "I'm done" and walks away. I catch him, and ask to speak to his manager...the main person in charge of the store. 4th person, store leader nazi, says it is not the same set as Frys and will not sign it. I then toss the dvds and ad at him, and tell him that he can go put them back. He replies with "real mature a**hole" in front of about 20 customers. We start swearing back and forth a bit and I finally walk out. Long live Best Buty and their horrible service.
nice. i love when people stand up like that.
Old 12-28-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
OP, I don't know why you are pining for sympathy here. It only says in about 17 different places that Best Buy stores and bestbuy.com are independent operations. Ultimately, you only have yourself to blame.
Old 12-28-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love reading customer service horror stories, we need a whole thread dedicated to them.
Old 12-28-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wfujosh
OP, I don't know why you are pining for sympathy here. It only says in about 17 different places that Best Buy stores and bestbuy.com are independent operations. Ultimately, you only have yourself to blame.
thats lame.
Old 12-28-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That sucks! I noticed that the Quad was very expensive there. My mom got it first week with a coupon for me at BB, so it was only like $65. It was well worth it too. I saw at Circuit City they had it for $73.99 and FYE and Saturday Matinee at our mall have it on sale for $69.99, which was quite a surprise.

BB is kind of gay with their service. A while back they looked up something for me on the computer and gave me all this incorrect info. I did notice that it was not bestbuy.com they were looking at, it was a weird address with all sorts of numbers and .somethings. The thing that really gets me about BB is that there are NO clerks and when I ask a question that don't care. They're like, "if it's not on the shelf its not there." Low and behold, the dvd I wanted is on the rack by the exit as I'm leaving. Thanks customer service.
Old 12-28-03, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Willh51
BB is kind of gay with their service.
Excuse me?
Old 12-28-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wfujosh, by OP, do u mean me? Im not asking for sympathy, im just venting, but if u read my story, one of the clerks confirmed to me that they do price match the website and went as far as clicking on the store's website for me, does this sound like someone who's regarding the store and the website as 2 seperate entities? Apparently not, my bitch was about the fact that what he pulled up was different than what my computer at home said and still does. And I dont think anyone asks to be jerked, excuse me for not being all into Best Buy lore as you seem to be.
Old 12-28-03, 11:12 PM
Banned

I worked at Best Buy for a year, and finally quite a few months ago(thank god). As to them not matching prices to BB.com, they can't do it. As stated before, BB.com and the stores are independently owned. You'll never get a price match off the internet with BB, nor will you get a price match on an item that has rebates unless you get a store manager to approve it. As to the BB worker dropping the DVD, it happens all the time, you have to be careful when you shop at BB. DVD players, Car audio, everything in that store besides big screen TVs and Computers just get loaded onto pallets and are guarenteed to be dropped at least once. As to the Frys ad (I have no idea what Frys is, but..) that manager and sales person must have been on crack. I never worked with someone who checked out the details of a price match, it was more or less as long as you have the ad you get that price. Now since they printed you a add (I assume off the internet) that they could have declined since it was off the internet, but I didn't see anywhere where it was mentioned about them saying no to the internet add. I would personally call BB corporate and complain (1-888-BestBuy) trust me, it works. I would be suprised if the store manager was still there if something like that happend and was reported.
Old 12-29-03, 12:51 AM

The ad was printed off a PC, but it was the flyer from the newspaper...not an internet deal. The part that bugged me was the 1st manager just said "I'm done" after 2 seconds of talking to me...and the other head of the store swore at me. I can not believe they have people that stupid running the store...like Best Buy has some sort of super-secret Alien Quadrilogy with a few more bonus hours of footage than everyone else.

FYI: Frys is basically a huge pc/electronics warehouse type place
Old 12-29-03, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by tsl141
I would personally call BB corporate and complain (1-888-BestBuy) trust me, it works. I would be suprised if the store manager was still there if something like that happend and was reported.
I did this when they wouldn't pricematch the Indy Trilogy with Eckerd, and the woman with whom I spoke was great. She asked if mailing me a giftcard for the difference between their price and the Eckerd price would make up for it. I said sure, and happily waited, and waited, and waited... you get the point (still no giftcard). I will never shop at Best Buy again. The store manager and clerk there that day were so aloof and rude that it left a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that Circuit City pricematched with no questions asked (and usually do), has given them my business. It seems like ever since Best Buy bought out Media Play (and others), their prices and service have dropped big time, in my experience.
Old 12-29-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the in-store kiosks must show the prices that are for that particular store.

Remember Gattaca for $7.50 or so last week? Well the one store near me got more in AFTER the sale and they are marked $16.99 and show up that way on their in-store kiosks. When I check the price here at home their site says $9.99.
Old 12-29-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think what makes the fact that best buy wont pricematch the website so stupid is that you can actually get it on the website and pick up your item IN THEIR STORE 10 FEET AWAY for the cheaper price! all it does is cause more hassle for the customer who is wanting to spend money in your store. it is not like you are waiting for bestbuy.com to send your item to the store, they are giving you the exact same item you are looking at, you just have to wait a few hours for them to walk from point A to point B, 10 feet away. thats what makes it a joke.
Old 12-29-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
i think what makes the fact that best buy wont pricematch the website so stupid is that you can actually get it on the website and pick up your item IN THEIR STORE 10 FEET AWAY for the cheaper price! all it does is cause more hassle for the customer who is wanting to spend money in your store. it is not like you are waiting for bestbuy.com to send your item to the store, they are giving you the exact same item you are looking at, you just have to wait a few hours for them to walk from point A to point B, 10 feet away. thats what makes it a joke.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-29-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by discostu1337

That was one of the best stories I've ever heard!
Old 12-29-03, 10:29 AM
Cool New Member

I'm glad my Best Buy is different. More than once, I have people say, Let me go look in the back, and come out with the DVD's I asked for. And never any problems pricematching, (Except one rep that insists on calling the other store to see if they have it in stock, I just skip her)
Old 12-29-03, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought you could use gift cards at Bestbuy.com? It seems that I've done that before.
Old 12-29-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
i think what makes the fact that best buy wont pricematch the website so stupid is that you can actually get it on the website and pick up your item IN THEIR STORE 10 FEET AWAY for the cheaper price!
You are exactly right. It really is amazingly stupid.
Old 12-29-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
New Releases, the only time Best Buy seems to have decent prices
Now you are catching on . . .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.