Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

20% DDD hit by virus Dec 3: cancelling orders

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Dec 2 (close to midnight) I placed two back-to-back orders. The order process, via the browser, went through all the way: no timeouts. I received an immediate email confirmation regarding the order titles seconds later for BOTH orders. About 9 hours later I received the customary, second email "order number" confirmation for the latter order, but haven't received an email confirmation for the prior as of yet.

At 1:00pm today (Dec 4) EST I spoke with a DDD rep about this and was told that yesterday (Dec 3) DDD experienced a "virus" which was automatically cancelling all orders.

As of today, the "virus" incident has been alleviated.

He said DDD's backup would "reorder" all orders which will result in new email order confirmations being delivered within the following day.

He said that even though I haven't received a confirmation notice for the prior order, nor is it visible in his company records or my account's "order status page", it "might" automatically be "reordered", but it's unlikely.

He also said my prior order is most likely NOT within their backup and I would have to reorder it all over again.

I made it a point to ask the rep if I placed a new order containing the same items as my prior order (which you may not have a record of) would DDD reps be conscious enough to not allow duplicate orders to go through which could ultiamtely cause me to be double charged. He said that this shouldn't happen, but I should call Monday in order to verify anything.

Regardless of what happens, DDD will honor any order, including the coupon code.

I'm posting this because other members have reported that they have not received the second order confirmation email, so I want them to know what I know. If you're in the same situation I suggest you phone DDD and possibly redo your order online.
Old 12-04-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to follow-up that I may be an isolated incident. The DDD rep was the one to use the term "virus".
Old 12-04-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about any "virus", but I got this email on 12-3 @ 7pm concerning my Ninja Turlte Order -

The order for the item(s) listed below has been canceled for one of the
following reasons:

The order was canceled per your request.

This item has been discontinued.

If you have any questions regarding your order, please e-mail our customer
service department at: [email protected]

We look forward to your next visit at http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com

Order Number: 21xxxxxx Date: 12/03/03

Bill to : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Item # Description Quantity Cancelled
GOL017135 DVD : TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES SET 1.00

And then the next day, I get this one -

Dear valued customer,

Due to a system error, you received an e-mail informing you of the cancellation of your backordered item on 12/03/03. We are in the process of replacing your order at the original price. Because we are re-placing your orders internally you will not see the new order on your online order status. However, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with the new order number for the cancelled item. You will also receive an e-mail when the order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best regards,

Customer Service
DeepDiscountDVD.com

All of this is strange as I received that order yesterday. It was part of the previous Ninja cancellation/re-ordering scenario.

But hey, if DDD want to send me another Ninja for a $1, who am I to complain?
Old 12-04-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that 1.00 is actually quantity not price......
Old 12-04-03, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

OK, and is it a "virus" causing the price of POTC to jump between $17.89 & $19.80? I've given up trying to order it - it's like playing russian roullette.
Old 12-04-03, 02:45 PM
SeeNo Member

Guess I'm lucky! My orders for the alien quad and Jamie Kennedy season 1 have not been cancelled.
Old 12-04-03, 04:12 PM

Phew! Just checked because I didn't get an email for my first DVD (of a two DVD order) and now it's listed as backordered. I thought it might have gotten lost due to the "virus".
Old 12-04-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had orders for two DVDs I ordered before the sale cancelled yesterday. It was perplexing but I figured I'd just reorder them . I hadn't done that yet. They are preorders so I can't get the 20% off price.

Today I got the "system error" email and both orders have been reinstated at the original price. The orders I made at 20% off were not cancelled.
Old 12-04-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sound more like a disgruntled employee then a virus! I have yet to hear of a virus that can go into a proprietary online ordering system and being able to magically erase/cancel orders!
Old 12-04-03, 05:14 PM

I had orders for two DVDs I ordered before the sale cancelled yesterday.
Hi movielib!
Yes...I had the exact same thing happen with an order from September 27th.

Just curious, movielib (since I know you're a JFK fan) -- Was one of your orders for the 2-disc JFK program "A Presidency Revealed"? My copy of this was cancelled...even though the item was just released last Tuesday. Weird.

I've since re-ordered and used a 20% off code, getting it for even less ($13.41). But now I'm wondering if I'll end up with two copies. Any thoughts?

Last edited by davidvp; 12-04-03 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by davidvp
Hi movielib!
Yes...I had the exact same thing happen with an order from September 27th.

Just curious, movielib (since I know you're a JFK fan) -- Was one of your orders for the 2-disc JFK program "A Presidency Revealed"? My copy of this was cancelled...even though the item was just released last Tuesday. Weird.
No, they are Waco: The Rules of Engagement and The Pawnbroker.
I've since re-ordered and used a 20% off code, getting it for even less ($13.41). But now I'm wondering if I'll end up with two copies. Any thoughts?
Be sure and check your email. I (and others in this thread) had DDD redo our orders. One would hope that when DDD is going through the cancelled orders and redoing them that they would first check and make sure you haven't done that already yourself.

You might want to call them at 800-264-5076 and make sure. CS is open for another hour.

Last edited by movielib; 12-04-03 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 06:43 PM

Hmm, my "12 Monkeys" order got quietly dropped (I didn't get an e-mail telling me, it just didn't show up on the second confirmation message). The order status page says it's been discontinuted, and it no longer shows up on their site (only the 12 Monkeys/The Thing 2-pack). Hopefully that's similar to this problem, and it'll magically show up eventually...

I've been on hold for customer service for long enough that they'll probably close for the night before they get to me.
Old 12-04-03, 06:44 PM

Thanks movielib!

That JFK program I mentioned appears to also be in an "Unavailable" or "Backordered" condition at some other e-tailers as well.

Very curious indeed...since that item was just released last week!

Movielib...Did you, by chance, purchase this DVD for yourself? If so, where did you get it? Thanks.

Last edited by davidvp; 12-04-03 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 07:03 PM

So for the "latter" order in which you recieved a 2nd e-mail and order number , is it safe to say that its okay an in process?
Old 12-04-03, 07:19 PM

My coupon orders are fine (at the time I'm typing this), but earlier today I got a cancellation for my pre-order of On Golden Pond SE. Tried to call to find out what happend, got busy signal, and just reordered it since price was still the same.

However, my coupon order is still "in process" and nothing has been shipped to me and no CC charges.

PS..Oddly enough my On Golden Pond order was placed many moons ago, at least a month ago.

Last edited by Phibes; 12-04-03 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cross
So for the "latter" order in which you recieved a 2nd e-mail and order number , is it safe to say that its okay an in process?
As far as I can tell, this "latter" order is fine. When I login to view my order it's shown as "open". All of those dvds are scheduled to be shipped on the 5th of this month.

I decided to go ahead and place a second, duplicate order of the "prior" dvds. I was going to wait to do it tomorrow, but since the coupon expires on Dec 5, I didn't know if this meant Dec 5 12:00 AM, or Dec 5 11:59 PM.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm going to phone DDD tomorrow to see if my second order went through as well as the status of my "lost" order. I'll report my findings here tomorrow.
Old 12-04-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dvdsky
Hmm, my "12 Monkeys" order got quietly dropped (I didn't get an e-mail telling me, it just didn't show up on the second confirmation message). The order status page says it's been discontinuted, and it no longer shows up on their site (only the 12 Monkeys/The Thing 2-pack). Hopefully that's similar to this problem, and it'll magically show up eventually...
I ordered 12 monkeys (collector's edition) as well, and it was shown as "discontinued" on the order status page. It looks as though that title was discontinued on Dec 2, 2003: the exact day I placed the order. That was the DVD I wanted most of all too.

This website confirms that 12 Monkeys has been discontinued:
http://hometheaterinfo.com/discontinued_a-b.htm
Old 12-04-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last time an order of mine got deleted in may/early June, they sent me a 10% off my next order. So I proceeded to pre-order over $600 worth of dvd's that were coming out during summer. That was pretty sweet...
Old 12-04-03, 08:45 PM

Whew! My order is alright. Scared me good.
Old 12-04-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

an update

Originally posted by cupon
I'm going to phone DDD tomorrow to see if my second order went through as well as the status of my "lost" order. I'll report my findings here tomorrow.
An update on my situation:

I placed a second, duplicate order at 6:00 pm EST. I received the second, customary email confirmation (containing the order number) at 9:00 pm EST. This surprised me since I thought it usually takes 24 hours for this to arrive. I've placed many prior orders with DDD and it never arrived this fast.

I ordered 24 titles. 9 are "in process" to be shipped on Dec 7. 14 titles are on "backorder' to be shipped on Dec 14. I take these dates with a grain of salt because I've had items take 2-3 weeks past the "scheduled" ship date before they actually shipped.

It looks as though it's certain my initial order I placed on Dec 2 is forever lost.
Old 12-04-03, 09:07 PM
Cool New Member

I seem to have a different problem. Was getting two e-mails concerning my single order, figured it was an error on their part (this has happened with a number of other sites) and just ignored it. When i got the order shipped today e-mails I logged into my account. Order status listed two seperate order #'s
for the one order I placed. Hope this is related to the "virus"
cause I don't need doubles.
Old 12-04-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by outfits
Order status listed two seperate order #'s
for the one order I placed. Hope this is related to the "virus"
cause I don't need doubles.

You better call them, because basically
two separate order numbers = two separate orders = you get doubles.
Old 12-04-03, 09:40 PM

My order was on 12/02... no problems. Just log on to your account on DDD and check order status.
Old 12-04-03, 10:33 PM

5 coupons = 5 orders = all OK.
Old 12-05-03, 06:51 AM

checked order status on DDD and all my orders are in process.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.