Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Odd problem with Digitaleyes.net order (Hitchcock Criterion Boxset).

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I recently ordered and received the WRONG MEN & NOTORIOUS WOMEN Hitchcock Criterion Box Set from Digitaleyes.net. When I opened the set, the first thing I noticed is that all the cases were missing the factory wrap/security stickers (I know that individual cases/discs in box sets often aren't factory sealed, but I've looked at this particular set in B&M stores several times and all the discs were wrapped and had security stickers). You can tell that the shrinkwrap/stickers have been removed because the tops of the cover inserts on a couple of the discs are torn from where the security stickers were pulled away. Also, the UPC barcodes on the back covers of all the cases have been punched out with a hole puncher. Other than that, the discs look new. I don't think this is something that Digitaleyes did, because the shrinkwrap on the outer box appeared to be the factory wrap (not re-wrapped), so I don't want this post to be taken as a bash at Digitaleyes.net - whom I've never had a problem with that wasn't quickly resolved.

Normally it wouldn't really bother me as long as the disc(s) were okay, but for a box set that cost almost $100, I'm not really happy with the opened/cut-up cases.

My question is - has anyone who purchased this particular set online (at digitaleyes or anywhere else) received it in this condition? Returning it is a moot point since it has been opened and Digitaleyes is now out of stock (and I think it is out of print). I'm just curious as to why the set is in this condition (maybe the cases were opened and the upc's punched out so the discs couldn't be sold separately, or something of that nature?)

Anyone have any thoughts/info on this?

Thanks,

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 11-10-03 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-10-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered the Hitchcock set recently from DVDEmpire and each DVD title was individually shrink wrapped with security tape, and none of the UPC barcodes were punched like you described.

However I also ordered the Kurosawa Samaurai box from the same place and none of the discs were shrink wrapped, or had any security tape. And I didn't see any evidence of them having any tape removed. No punched UPC barcodes either, but none of the individual cases had barcodes.

So it does look like Criterion can have some variation in box set packaging when comparing these two boxes with each other. But why not contact Criterion directly and ask them if they are doing what you mentioned to the Hitchcock set.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 11-10-03 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-10-03, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your copy was a promotional copy that was not for resale if the holes were punched out on the UPC. I would definetly contact the company and have them send you a legit copy of the product. That's what you're paying for!
Old 11-10-03, 08:59 AM

Re: Odd problem with Digitaleyes.net order (Hitchcock Criterion Boxset).

Originally posted by Roy28
Hi Guys,

I recently ordered and received the WRONG MEN & NOTORIOUS WOMEN Hitchcock Criterion Box Set from Digitaleyes.net. When I opened the set, the first thing I noticed is that all the cases were missing the factory wrap/security stickers (I know that individual cases/discs in box sets often aren't factory sealed, but I've looked at this particular set in B&M stores several times and all the discs were wrapped and had security stickers). You can tell that the shrinkwrap/stickers have been removed because the tops of the cover inserts on a couple of the discs are torn from where the security stickers were pulled away. Also, the UPC barcodes on the back covers of all the cases have been punched out with a hole puncher. Other than that, the discs look new. I don't think this is something that Digitaleyes did, because the shrinkwrap on the outer box appeared to be the factory wrap (not re-wrapped), so I don't want this post to be taken as a bash at Digitaleyes.net - whom I've never had a problem with that wasn't quickly resolved.

Normally it wouldn't really bother me as long as the disc(s) were okay, but for a box set that cost almost $100, I'm not really happy with the opened/cut-up cases.

My question is - has anyone who purchased this particular set online (at digitaleyes or anywhere else) received it in this condition? Returning it is a moot point since it has been opened and Digitaleyes is now out of stock (and I think it is out of print). I'm just curious as to why the set is in this condition (maybe the cases were opened and the upc's punched out so the discs couldn't be sold separately, or something of that nature?)

Anyone have any thoughts/info on this?

Thanks,

Roy
We will gladly refund you for the set if you want to return it. You received a set that we purchased directly from Home Vision Entertainment. DVDs are repressed constantly so I am sure there is an explanation for the difference in how some sets might appear. I have seen hole punched UPCs on box sets from Universal and Fox like you are describing with this Hitchcock box.

Screeners are punched on the outer packaging generally or the UPC on the box will be scratched through.

Bottom line is we want you to be happy. Please return the box for a full refund if you are concerned about the legitimacy of the set.

Thanks,

Mark
Digital Eyes
Old 11-10-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Odd problem with Digitaleyes.net order (Hitchcock Criterion Boxset).

Originally posted by Roy28
My question is - has anyone who purchased this particular set online (at digitaleyes or anywhere else) received it in this condition?
Yes. I received a set in identical condition to your description from DVD Empire.
Old 11-10-03, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Odd problem with Digitaleyes.net order (Hitchcock Criterion Boxset).

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Yes. I received a set in identical condition to your description from DVD Empire.
Same here, all the DVD's were fine.
Old 11-10-03, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES

However I also ordered the Kurosawa Samaurai box from the same place and none of the discs were shrink wrapped, or had any security tape. And I didn't see any evidence of them having any tape removed. No punched UPC barcodes either, but none of the individual cases had barcodes.

So it does look like Criterion can have some variation in box set packaging when comparing these two boxes with each other. But why not contact Criterion directly and ask them if they are doing what you mentioned to the Hitchcock set.
I'll agree with this also, since my Kurosawa is the same as described above from DVDempire.
Old 11-12-03, 11:20 PM

Re: Re: Odd problem with Digitaleyes.net order (Hitchcock Criterion Boxset).

Originally posted by DigitalEyes
Bottom line is we want you to be happy. Please return the box for a full refund if you are concerned about the legitimacy of the set.

Thanks,

Mark
Digital Eyes
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Since others have received this set in the same condition, it seems like this is just how some of the sets are sent out (for whatever reason), so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Mark - I appreciate the offer to return the set - if you had more in stock I might have exchanged it for one without the punched-out/cut covers, but since you're out of stock i'll just keep this one - no big deal.

Thanks Again,

Roy